Winter 2023

NewTricks

Cautiously, slowly returning to outside life, it helps to have ridiculously warm temps, some are going sleeveless in shorts! Wool, insulation & layers still rule my day.

Docked, the tourist attraction Canandaigua Lady. (historical link) Her original debut was in 1827 as Lady of the Lake. Never ventured forth with her. 

Happy Saturday wherever you are, whatever you're doing.

1Front.jpg

2name.jpg

3Rt side.jpg

4Wheel.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 2/10/2024 at 5:13 PM, NewTricks said:

Docked, the tourist attraction Canandaigua Lady. (historical link) Her original debut was in 1827 as Lady of the Lake. Never ventured forth with her. 

We have a paddle steamer here, and it is still in use

https://www.skibladner.no/home

Edited by pondus
  • Like 2

@pondus here she is, in all her glory, the oldest paddle steamer running for 167 years. Tourists are treated to trips on Lake Mjosa, Norway's largest lake and deepest in Norway and Europe. 

This got me thinking about taking a ferry or flying between Bergen in Norway to Broomhead, Fraserburgh in UK. My "people" come from Scotland.

picture credits: Skibladner site, Wikipedia.

Skibladner_Home.jpg

Skibladner.jpg

Lake Mjosa.jpg

• Like 2

18 hours ago, NewTricks said:

This got me thinking about taking a ferry or flying between Bergen in Norway to Broomhead, Fraserburgh in UK. My "people" come from Scotland.

There used to be a ferry between Bergen and Newcastle but was discontinued in 2008

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, pondus said:

There used to be a ferry between Bergen and Newcastle but was discontinued in 2008

Thanks for the tip, I won't plan my trip yet. Thanks!

18 minutes ago, pondus said:

Deepest is Hornindalsvatnet with 514m 

You need to sign in to Wikipedia, which is where I found those stats. Then CORRECT them! You chose a gorgeous photo for Horninvalsdatnet. Woo, that was tricky to spell.  😬

You are definitely current on Norwegian WATER.

Wow! Incredible. It keeps getting better, photographically.

4 minutes ago, pondus said:

i will be at a powerplant one mile inside the mountain

Hmmm, that's  quite a commute!  Staying for more than one day? 

It's interesting that both you and nukecad are/were involved with power plants. Once you get there,  I assume you'll be riding in on a dedicated vehicle.

4 hours ago, NewTricks said:

Hmmm, that's  quite a commute!  Staying for more than one day? 

Since my last post i have driven more than halfway (to my farm for the weekend) so tomorrow i only have 2,5hour drive

Once you get there,  I assume you'll be riding in on a dedicated vehicle.

Same vehicle i use evry day at work, a VW Caddy 

8 minutes ago, pondus said:

not like phoenix arizona

yep, I can't imagine Norway ever gets "hot." 

Looks like you're in good shape for the remainder of the drive. The thought of spending 5+ hours in a car and THEN going to work is not appealing.

Working inside a mountain means artificial light for the duration of the work day. Probably fluorescent too. No gazing outside the window either.

On the plus side, paid employment, which ultimately benefits large numbers of people. 

Can you take a shot of that caddy?

Source: Psychology Today 11/26/2018 Regional temperature may have a "Goldilocks effect" on personality development

"Human personality traits are known to systematically differ across geographical regions around the world. Although there are all sorts of reasons why this might be, a new study found that regional ambient temperature was a significant factor (Wei et al., 2017). More specifically, people growing up in regions with more clement ambient temperatures (closer to 22 °C/about 72 °F) had higher levels of extraversion, emotional stability, agreeableness, conscientiousness, and openness to experience compared to those who grew up in regions with either colder or hotter temperatures." 

Source: Nature Human Behavior 11/27/2017  Regional ambient temperature is associated with human personality

"To test the relationship between ambient temperature and personality, we conducted two large-scale studies in two geographically large yet culturally distinct countries: China and the United States. Using data from 59 Chinese cities (N = 5,587), multilevel analyses and machine learning analyses revealed that compared with individuals who grew up in regions with less clement temperatures, individuals who grew up in regions with more clement temperatures (that is, closer to 22 °C) scored higher on personality factors related to socialization and stability (agreeableness, conscientiousness, and emotional stability) and personal growth and plasticity (extraversion and openness to experience)."

Food for thought