Malwarebytes Browser Guard 2.6.9 prevents Intel Driver Support Assistant

Malwarebytes Browser Guard (2.6.9) prevents https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/intel-driver-support-assistant.html site from working. Disabling the MB Browser for the specific site doesn't help, but disabling the MB Extension via chrome://extensions solves the issue.

image.thumb.png.a99dda433f703b437c1d20739d544624.png

Edited by cage22
added screen capture
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I tried all the steps - including factory reset and re-checking for database updates. Still having same issue. Does the 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/intel-driver-support-assistant.html

site work for you?

Edited by AdvancedSetup
Disabled hyperlink

1 hour ago, AdvancedSetup said:

We were able to confirm this issue and have submitted a bug report.

This should be corrected in a future build, for now you'll need to bypass this site

Thank you for reporting

Perfect, thank you very much 🙏

• Like 1

Hi @AdvancedSetup -- I believe this bug is specifically related to a new feature (highlighted in red) introduced in Malwarebytes Browser Guard 2.6.9 that is preventing localhost (127.0.0.1) connections via local web servers / named pipes / etc. for services that depend on them:
https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/19646982097683-Malwarebytes-Browser-Guard-2-6-9-Release-Notes

Features and improvements

• Added ability to block Google's new Topic Tracking API.
  • Prevent websites from scanning for vulnerable network ports.

I was able to confirm the same behavior as mentioned by @cage22 and @MariuxReloaded for the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant with the utility installed and everything. Additionally, I'm pretty sure this case is related to the same thing for Discord invites, titled: Mb browser guard prevent discord from opening when clicked invite link

Lastly, even if you turn off all protection settings (as seen below), but leave the extension enabled -- these issues still persist regardless . No amount of clearing cache, cookies, sessions, etc. fixes it. In short, I think the new feature needs to be examined / reworked ASAP for compatibility. There are many other apps / services that leverage "localhost" types of connections, so I anticipate you'll hear more about these the longer this goes on.

image.thumb.png.815503b94c4c44019a519b24ebac91a1.png

On 9/6/2023 at 6:16 PM, cage22 said:

Looks like 2.6.10 resolved the issue. chrome://extensions/

Hi cage22:

Thanks for posting about this issue.

I can also confirm that Intel Driver & Support Assistant v23.3.25.6 is launching correctly again in my default Firefox browser since I received the latest update for the Malwarebytes Browser Guard for Firefox v2.6.10 browser extension today. 👍
----------
Dell Inspiron 5584 * 64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2 build 19045.3324 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.23080.2006-1.1.23080.2005 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.6.1.280-1.0.2117 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.7279 * Firefox v117.0.0 * Malwarebytes Browser Guard for Firefox v2.6.10

Edited by lmacri
  • Thanks 1