MBAM.exe service slowing down my network speed.

I have a gigabit network and it was only transfering files at 12MB/sec. I noticed that at startup i could transfer at 50-100MB/sec untill a few minutes after start up. So i boot into safe mode with networking and my network is fine and never slows down. So now i ms config and start turning off boot up services until i find that MBAM.exe is the one causing the trouble. If its dissabled network is full speed. If its enabled at boot network only runs at 12-15 MB/sec. I uninstall Malwarebytes software and network is at full speed.

I am running Win7 Ultimatex64 and was using MBAM 1.41 version software. Any idea why this is happening to me?

Thanks for any help

Robert

We've had this issue a couple of times. The first time the user was completely unwilling to help us test. The second time the user was not only willing to run the tests, but found out that he actually had full use of bandwidth, but SpeedTest.net was somehow getting it's results skewed by the IP Protection when it was on.

From your description, can I assume that you are experiencing this issue when transferring files on the local network?

Yes i have full internet speed and pretty much full 100Mbit speed but i am on a gigabit network. So using just cut and paste in windows explorer copying a file from a mapped network folder and pasting it to windows desktop. After pasting i would get speeds of 12-15MB/sec transfer. After removal of Malwarebytes doing the same file transfer proscess i get speeds now that start at 120MB/sec but drop back to 50-80 MB/sec. Im assuming now that the hard drives transfer rate is the limiting factor now not the network.

I would be willing to say get into a chat and help test this with you guys. I dunno if i am willing to play forum tag and test it but probably could. I would like it more to chat in IRC,AIM,MSN or something like that to make it go faster. Let me know what you think and i can try to help give back some if you guys dont know why this happens.

For now it's probably best to keep this on the forums, so that developers can keep tabs on the discussion. I know the process drags out a bit longer, but when the developers want to know what's going on, they don't have to grab someone and ask.

Go ahead and reinstall MBAM, and then right-click on the system tray icon to disable IP Protection. Try transferring a large file several times with it disabled, and get a good idea for what the speed is, and then try it several times with the IP Protection turned back on.

Ok i will do that for you but i have to work 12 hours tonight so it will be tomorrow. I haveno problem keeping it in the forums i suppose you are right maybe someone else can benifit from it. See ya tomorrow morning.

Not a problem. <_<

Let us know what you find.

Ok you were spot on with your diagnosis. So i reinstalled MBAM and rebooted and had slow network again. Disable IP Protection and at first it didnt look like it dissabled as the check mark was still there. But after 30 seconds or so i rechecked it with a right click and the check mark was gone. So with IP Protection dissabled i have full network speed again. So just to experament i rebooted again and still had full network speed and IP Protection was still off. So i turned IP Protection back on with onother right click of the icon and bam slow network speed again. So then again right click and turn off IP Protection and full network speed. So this is definatly my problem Where do we go from here? Do i just run without IP Protection enabled or do you wanna go further and try to get that to work?

Just so you know my home server running XP has MBAM installed on it and IP Protection enabled and it dont seem to bother its Network connection at all.

Im running microsoft security essentials and MBAM and thats all. Also if i reboot sometimes it turns back on IP Protection wish there was a way to turn it off permanent.But its not a big deal its easy to turn off. Anything else i can try for ya to fix this problem?

Try adding the following files to the exclusions list in Microsoft Security Essentials:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\mbam.sys

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe

I was hoping that Doug would send me some more ideas on how to troubleshoot this, but he never did. I'm going to have to do some tests when I have some time, and see if I can reproduce this, as I have Windows 7 installed as well.

I do wonder if this has anything to do with TCP/IP settings in Windows 7, as I have seen them cause weird latency issues as well.

Anyway, the attached ZIP archive contains a program that will install some shortcuts (only works in English version of 32-bit Windows) to tweak the IP Protection. This will allow you to permanently shut it off.

After installing, you will find the shortcuts in the following location:

Start Menu -> All Programs -> Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

mbam_ip_policy_shortcuts.zip

Well just let me know if you want me to do any more testing for ya. As for the tweak i have 64 bit windows 7 so i used the registry edits that exile360 posted and its working good. I used the edit that disables it from starting but it can still be turned on if needed. So if ya get any ideas or need me to try whatever ill see a email that you replied. Until then thanks for the help in the first place.

• Root Admin

Uninstall MBAM and I bet you will still get this. I've noticed that too recently on my Win7 x64 and I have an i7 3.2GHz CPU and 6GB RAM and if I don't throttle back the download process it consumes disk IO and CPU to the point it is noticeable. I get this with no Anti-Virus and no MBAM during my testing.

Uninstall MBAM and I bet you will still get this. I've noticed that too recently on my Win7 x64 and I have an i7 3.2GHz CPU and 6GB RAM and if I don't throttle back the download process it consumes disk IO and CPU to the point it is noticeable. I get this with no Anti-Virus and no MBAM during my testing.

I'm sure it usually boils down to drivers and incompatible software, but in my case, it's Malwarebytes. When it doesn't start at boot and isn't running, no problems here.

clipboard01w.jpg

Hello justlooking ;)

Please try the instructions posted here, making sure to backup your settings before making changes, to see if it fixes the latency issue. I know the TCP/IP stack was changed somewhat in 7 and it might be the reason for the slowdowns. I'm on Vista x64 and have no such issue so I suspect this may be specific to Windows 7.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a double post - I've posted the problem in the Honorary Members Beta thread and then found this thread afterwards (Yes. I did search originally... :))

Taken me a while to prove this. I thought it was any number of other things before arriving here (N.B This happens in 1.41 also):

Copying a 750 Mb file from one of my mapped network drives (NAS device connected to the router) to the local hard drive on this PC - file copies but during the copy the machine becomes unresponsive and the mouse will only move 'jerkily'. As soon as the file has copied, all is well again. Quite simply, disabling IP Protection solves the problem. How can I prevent IP blocking from affecting my local network?