MSE works -

noknojon

I Love MSE - :)

Well I was looking for a fix on my inbuilt defragmenter (had probs for a long time) and I was hit by an infection - :)

First action was to hit reset botton and try MBAM on restart - MBAM started ok (very slow 15-17 ? mins for quick scan) -

After less than 30 seconds into scan MSE popped up that there was an infection to remove - I hit remove - (MBAM was still running) - :)

The infection was - "Trojan:JS/FakeXPA" - MSE deleted it even prior to MBAM finding anything - (MBAM Scan was 100% clean) -

I was on M/soft site looking for help and not just surfing the net randomly-

My recomendation is now for every body to install MSE, was it was even quicker than MBAM ?? But never as good -

EDIT -

Also have since run SAS scan and found it was clean -

@ srtools -

I agree 100% that many rogues now bypass MBAM and SAS - They are set to identify their footprint and get past - :)

This was like my last infection (about 12 months ago) - It passed firewall and antivirus and really stuck -

I think we will find that soon MSE will not detect some infections once it has been around for a year or so - :)

EDIT -

I should have put this in the Anti Malware section but I added it too quickly - AdvancedSetup will tell me off for that -

I think noknojon meant that after a year the people behind MSE will become lazy may be due to over confidence.

Basically that is what I do mean - Not all are as proactive as MBAM -

EDIT -

We see more infections "beating the system" every day - They are getting smarter so we all need to keep finding ways to outsmart them -

MSE is new on the block and can still grab many items that some others can have trouble with - That is why we have the HJT logs area -

Basically that is what I do mean - Not all are as proactive as MBAM -

EDIT -

We see more infections "beating the system" every day - They are getting smarter so we all need to keep finding ways to outsmart them -

MSE is new on the block and can still grab many items that some others can have trouble with - That is why we have the HJT logs area -

Gotcha. Thanks. :) I hope MS doesn't start getting complacent with MSE, and yes, malware is getting more and more clever for sure.

I have two questions for you noknojon, if that's OK. I know there will be much variance depending on individual systems etc, but can I ask you how long quick scans and full scans take with MSE? Also, does MSE have any kind of web shield? I've looked around the microsft pages and I can't see that it does, only a resident shield (which I'm not sure will scan actual web pages).

@noknojon

Hope MSE people would have read, ''Who Moved my Cheese".

Highlights:

Change Happens

They Keep Moving The Cheese

Anticipate Change

Get Ready For The Cheese To Move

Monitor Change

Smell The Cheese Often So You Know When It Is Getting Old

Adapt To Change Quickly

The Quicker You Let Go Of Old Cheese, The Sooner You Can Enjoy New Cheese

Change

Move With The Cheese

Enjoy Change!

Savor The Adventure And Enjoy The Taste Of New Cheese!

Be Ready To Change Quickly And Enjoy It Again & Again

They Keep Moving The Cheese.

@ YoKenny -

Had one of those things - He had to go eventually -

@ srtools -

I like it - :)

@ catscomputer -

I just did a quick MBAM scan (to check if I could find anything) - Still clean - As well as another MSE and SAS scan -

They seem to take about the same in quick mode but full scan in MSE is a fairly long one (by my standards anyway) - I would say longer than MBAM full -

I also have D/loaded and used the new version of AdAware - Quick scan is similar to most others, but when I did the first full scan I made 2 coffees and had a lie down for a while - It dug up files I did not know of (or did not remember) - Now I just do quicks in all programs, now that I know how they run -

I will spend the W/end diong big scans to ensure I have no trace of the rogue that hit me - Sorry to rant on a bit, but I gave you all I could remember -

I will now use MSE without being concerned too much - It also fully updated O/night (checked for U/dates and was OK) -

EDIT -

No shield / extra firewall, as such, but it is always active - It did not remove infection until I rebooted - Then removed almost instantly (off line)-

We must remember it is M/soft products - Their inbuilt antivirus is very slack these days -

@srtools1980y

Change is inevitable - except from a vending machine.

Robert C. Gallagher

@noknojon

MSE takes about 5 minutes to do a Quick scan on my Windows 7 system.

I have Real-time protection turned off and have it set for daily updates at 7:00 AM followed by a Quick scan.

@catscomputer

I don't think MSE has a Web shield but my anti virus application does.

I think that any anti virus or anti malware application with resident protection should only have one resident protection active at a time as they could cause conflicts with each other.

MBAM resident protection works fine with avast! for me.

Thanks for the responses from those of you using MSE. B) That's handy to know. I'd like a web shield, which is one thing that makes me keen to try Avast! 5 when it's out, though I also really like what I'm hearing about MSE in terms of detectability, ease of use, and also in terms of malware removal in the av-comparitives test. MSE did very well in that test.

The MSE quick scan sounds good (i.e. quick). MBAM takes 7.5mins to do a quick scan on my PC, so if it's comparitive, that's probably what I'll be looking at. By contrast a full scan set to automatic speed with AVG 8.5 free takes almost three hours and consumes so much CPU that you can't really do much when it's scanning. EDIT - also, there is no "quick scan" with AVG free. You can select a fast speed setting, but it still takes over two hours and consumes 100% CPU for most of the scan.