Malwarebytes/Windows Defender won't play together.

waterweed
Go to solution Solved by Maurice Naggar,

Hi,

I have been running Malwarebytes for some years but am recently having problems.  I posted this in 'tenforums' and a member suggested I post here.

I normally run Malwarebytes but ocasionally do a Windows Defender scan.  Recently I've been unable to do a Defender scan as the option was not available when I went into the appropriate screen.  I was advised to turn 'Always register Malwarebytes in Windows Security Centre' to OFF which I did.  I've no recollection of doing this before anddon't seem to remember any problems when I went to do a Defender scan.   However deselecting 'Always register etc' has not made any difference - except that now there is no mention of Malwarebytes in Defender whereas before it was listed as installed.

I have now turned off Malwarebytes in the Taskbar but this has made no difference either.  Under 'Virus & Protection' I get the message 'The threat Service has Stopped -  Restart now'  Unfortunately attempting to restart the service does not work.  I have certainly not uninstalled Malwarebytes in order to do a Defender scan in the past.

Is this a Windows or a Malwarebytes problem - I suspect the former...

Incidentally I'm using Windows 10 build 19044, Malwarebytes version 4.5.14.210 (latest update today - 24/09/2022)

Any help would be appreciated.

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes for Windows Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following:

Malwarebytes Support Tool - Advanced Options

This feature is designed for the following reasons:

• For use when you are on the forums and need to provide logs for assistance
  • For use when you don't need or want to create a ticket with Malwarebytes
  • For use when you want to perform local troubleshooting on your own

How to use the Advanced Options:

Spoiler
  1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  3. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  4. Navigate to the Advanced tab
  5. The Advanced menu page contains four categories:
    • Gather Logs: Collects troubleshooting information from the computer. As part of this process, Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) is run to perform a complete diagnosis. The information is saved to a file on the Desktop named mbst-grab-results.zip and can be added as an email attachment or uploaded to a forum post to assist with troubleshooting the issue at hand.
    • Clean: Performs an automated uninstallation of all Malwarebytes products installed to the computer and prompts to install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows afterwards. The Premium license key is backed up and reinstated. All user configurations and other data are removed. This process requires a reboot.
    •  Repair System: Includes various system-related repairs in case a Windows service is not functioning correctly that Malwarebytes for Windows is dependent on. It is not recommended to use any Repair System options unless instructed by a Malwarebytes Support agent.
    • Anonymously help the community by providing usage and threat statistics: Unchecking this option will prevent Malwarebytes Support Tool from sending anonymous telemetry data on usage of the program.
  6. To provide logs for review click the Gather Logs button
  7. Upon completion, click OK
  8. A file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop
  9. Please attach the file in your next reply.
  10. To uninstall all Malwarebytes Products, click the Clean button.
  11. Click the Yes button to proceed. 
  12. Save all your work and click OK when you are ready to reboot.
  13. After the reboot, you will have the option to re-install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows.
  14. Select Yes to install Malwarebytes.
  15. Malwarebytes for Windows will open once the installation completes successfully.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Spoiler

01.png

02.png

03.png

04.png

05.png

06.png

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/requests/new to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: Find my premium license key

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

8 minutes ago, waterweed said:

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks for coming here. The following is why I wanted you here as this site is not a free for all the other site is.

Please do the following so that we may take a closer look at your installation for troubleshooting:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Download the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  • In your Downloads folder, open the mb-support-x.x.x.xxx.exe file
  • In the User Account Control pop-up window, click Yes to continue the installation
  • Run the MBST Support Tool
  • In the left navigation pane of the Malwarebytes Support Tool, click Advanced
  • In the Advanced Options, click Gather Logs. A status diagram displays the tool is Getting logs from your machine
  • A zip file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your desktop, please upload that file on your next reply

Thanks

Thanks for the very quick response...!

I have run the required file and enclose the results, hopefully it will help.

(On posting I'm getting an error - We’re sorry but our system has detected wording in your post consistent with spam, It may be by accident, please try changing the wording and try to post again.  I'll hopefully find out what the preblem is...)

mbst-grab-results.zip

• Solution

Hello @waterweed Here are next steps for our goal to get things in better state:
[ 1 ]
Please  set File Explorer to SHOW ALL folders, all files, including Hidden ones.  Use OPTION ONE or TWO of this article
Please use this Guide

[ 2 ]

This job will run exclusively and also at the end, it will do a Windows Restart ( reboot). This is intended to run some system checks, selected cleanups, as well as run the Windows System File Checker & DISM, and also to get Microsoft Defender antivirus re-enabled. "some" thing had disabled Defender at some point in the past.

Please be sure to Close any open work files, documents,  any apps you started yourself  before starting this. THIS run will do a Windows RESTART. Once it starts it will auto-close any other running app.

We will use FRSTENGLISH.exe  on the Downloads folder to run a custom script.    The system will be rebooted after the script has run.

This custom script is for  Waterweed machine  only / for this machine only.

• Please save the (attached file named) FIXLIST.txt   to the   Downloads   folder

Fixlist.txt    <<< - - - - -

Then, Start the Windows Explorer and then, go  to the Downloads    folder.

RIGHT click on FRSTEnglish.exe    and select RUN as Administrator and allow it to proceed.  Reply YES when prompted to allow to run.

•    If the tool warns you the version is outdated, please download and run the updated version.
  • IF Windows prompts you about running this, select YES to allow it to proceed.
  • IF you get a block message from Windows about this tool......

click line More info information on that screen
               and click button Run anyway on next screen.

• on the FRST window:

Click the Fix button just once, and wait.

PLEASE have lots and lots of patience when this starts. You will see a green progress bar start. Lots of patience. 

Please attach the FIXLOG.txt with your next reply later, at your next opportunity. Now take a look thru Windows Settings >> Windows Security >> Virus & Threat protection. Do you see MS Defender as ON ?

Tell me, had you in the past several months, installed a 3rd-party antivirus such as F-Secure or Avira ? 

Good morning,

Thankyou for all your mails.  Before going any further...

>>> Tell me, had you in the past several months, installed a 3rd-party antivirus such as F-Secure or Avira ?  <<<

Yes, F-Secure On Line Scanner.  I installed it some time ago though I hardly ever use it.  I understood that it didn't actually install anything and indeed does not appear in the MS Apps and Features.  Should I remove it?

F-Secure Online is a standalone executable. Yes delete it if you are done with it. It is intended as a one time use type tool. That is to say, if you need to use it in future, do a new download.

Do proceed forward to running the custom-script with FRSTENGLISH.

Edited by Maurice Naggar

>>> F-Secure Online is a standalone executable. Yes delete it if you are done with it <<<

Thank you, I have deleted it.  I was merely concerned it would affect the FRSTENGLISH running.

I have run the file and enc. the 'fixlog'

>>>  Now take a look thru Windows Settings >> Windows Security >> Virus & Threat protection. Do you see MS Defender as ON ? <<<

YES!!!  All appears to be good, I will check again but I wanted to get the fixlog to you first.

Fixlog.txt

Thank you. 😃 Very good run 👍 

I also would appreciate this report:

Download   Farbar's Service Scanner utility

and Save to your Desktop.

Right-Click on fss.exe and select Run As Administrator.

Answer Yes to ok when prompted.

If your firewall then puts out a prompt, again, allow it to run.

Once FSS is on-screen, be sure the following items are check-marked:

• Internet Services
    Windows Firewall
    System Restore
    Security Center/Action Center
    Windows Update
    Windows Defender
    Other services

Click on "Scan".

It will create a log (FSS.txt) in the same directory the tool is run.   Please attach that file.  

This is one way to do a manual scan using the Microsoft Defender antivirus, as well as to visually check protection status.
From the Start menu, select Settings, then select Update and Security.
Next, look at the left-side menu & select Windows Security

image.png.53b8290f51fb52ad1f67f2be5d1a7198.png

Next, In Windows Security section: Click on the grey button Open Windows Security

image.thumb.png.770ff10e37da546f33963da571bd3378.png

Now, click on the shield Virus and threat protection

By the way, when you see a green check-mark on your display, it means a good status and that protection is on.

image.thumb.png.d3c40d161bda6630f463e83ce53f9782.png 

On the next display, look at all the options. Look down the list and see "Check for Updates" which I have highlighted with a blue icon.

You can click on that to have the system check for updates for Windows Defender.

Please also note that the Scan options (all) can be displayed by clicking on Scan options. ( You can do Quick, Full, or Custom).

NOTE: If you have the time / opportunity, select a Custom scan & scan the C drive  ( one time as a safety check ).

image.thumb.png.1bfbd5b3023eeabe0dbea2025a5fa556.png

Maurice,

Thanks for that.  

Everything appears good now and I'm very grateful for your help - and grateful also to Porthos who started the ball rolling and who bought me over here.  I wonder what caused the problem, maybe we'll never know.  Looking at the date when I last ran a Windows Security scan, it was about 6 months ago, so the problem has existed for some time.  In any event my computer is now Ok again.  Incidentally I've removed F-Secure, Malwarebytes and Windows Security should be adequate.

I was getting worried as I only have a few short days of my current Malwarebytes licence to run.  Last year I paid £24 for 2 machines, this year they wanted £39.95.  When I queried this with the Customer Service guy he said I could have the Student package on which presently there was a discount - making the price £42 - it gets even worse!  However after the kind of service I've just receivedfrom you I think the obvious thing for me to do is to renew my subscription...!

Thanks again and take care, I'm very appreciative of your help,

John

1 hour ago, waterweed said:

this year they wanted £39.95.

That is still a discount over the full new subscriber price for 2 devices. https://estore.malwarebytes.com/order/checkout.php?CART_ID=9a0cbbe4813e9c0a75da4c164f99325f

Malwarebytes has has not had a rate increase in many years. I know an increase of any service is hard to digest. I have had my insurance, utility, price of gas and grocery's and other rate increases this year. Of course we do not get paid more in our jobs though. Fixed incomes have not increased enough to support the inflation world wide. It affects us all everywhere.

Glad your system is working correctly now and glad you are sticking with Malwarebytes.

I knew your issue could be corrected in this forum. The free for all approach in the other forum would have made it worse and could have required a reinstall of Windows to fix.

Thanks Porthos - and I'm glad you're back on here so I can thank you personally for your help.

What I'll probably do is renew Malwarebytes for my main machine and let the second machine's software revert to the free version.  That machine is hardly ever used on-line anyway so that should be adequate.  That will be £29.99 - so I'll be able to turn the heat on AND eat !!

Thanks again and take care,

John (in North Wales)

6 minutes ago, waterweed said:

(in North Wales)

As a moderator "I know".

6 minutes ago, waterweed said:

so I'll be able to turn the heat on AND eat !!

Tell me about it.

7 minutes ago, waterweed said:

and I'm glad you're back on here so I can thank you personally for your help.

You are welcome, I live here and just visit the other site but normally only post there to direct someone here for actual help. The other forum is great for general Windows 10 issues and tutorials but lacks a dedicated section like we have that can assist one on one "too many cooks spoil the broth" and all. I knew you needed advanced assistance to correct this.

Best wishes and thanks for joining and sticking with us here at Malwarebytes.

Maurice will have some additional steps for you so stick with it.

Hello @waterweed 

This system is good-to-go. This here is for tools cleanup.

Please download KpRm by kernel-panik and save it to your desktop.

• right-click kprm_(version).exe and select Run as Administrator.
  • Read and accept the disclaimer.
  • When the tool opens, ensure all boxes under Actions are checked.
  • Under Delete Quarantines select Delete Now, then click Run.
  • Once complete, click OK.
  • A log may open in Notepad titled kprm-(date).txt.  I do not need it. Just close Notepad if it shows up.

Delete mb-support-1.8.7.918.exe
Delete mbst-grab-results.zip on the Desktop

Consider using PatchMyPC, keep all your software up-to-date - https://patchmypc.com/home-updater#download

Keep your system and programs up to date. Several programs release security updates on a regular basis to patch vulnerabilities. Keeping your software patched up prevents attackers from being able to exploit them to drop malware.

I am marking this case for closure.
I wish you all the best. Stay safe. 

Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this thread. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Please review the following to help you better protect your computer and privacy Tips to help protect from infection

Thank you

Hi,

Further to my Malwarebytes/Defender issue which you repaired recently I have another issue which 'may' be related...

On booting up I get a screen which asks me to 'choose an operating system'.  After a couple of seconds the screen disappears and the computer boots normally.  Checking under the Boot tab in System Config confirms I only have one operating system installed -

Windows 10 (C:\WINDOWS) : Current OS; Default OS

Not too sure if it's relevant but under the General tab in Startup Selection it shows Selective Startup as selected, with Load System Services and Load Startup Items as ticked.

The 'chose an OS' screen appeared to happen intermittently a couple of times after you repaired the machine (maybe I missed the message...) and I assumed it was a Windows funny but taking more notice I see it happens every time.  I don't know whether the two things are related or maybe just a co-incidence?

Otherwise the computer appears to be fine and I have just renewed my Malwarebytes subscription for another 12 months.

Thank you.

Edited by AdvancedSetup
Corrected font issue

Hello. The Boot options screen lasts for just only 5 seconds, or so. Just let it time out, or just tap Enter-key to proceed forward. It was placed by the script that I had you run. It is intended as a help, just in case, of a worst case scenario where one needed to get into Safe mode or on a special command-prompt session. This is not a threat of any sort.