MalwareBytes and Windows 11 Dev Builds

Soozy
Go to solution Solved by Porthos,

Since 6-29-22 I have had an ongoing issue with Windows 11 Dev Channel builds failing with the error code ox8007000d. I've clean installed several times, gone back to a Beta build, updated to Dev build fine, but then the next one fails.

I've been working with the Windows Insider Team and they discovered the problem.This is what they said:

image.png.def4b9dfba05cf36d47c03d534d3f535.png

MWB is locking out permission to files the servicing operation needs.  Since the files aren't accessible by the OS, the update fails.

My current MB is 4.5.14 - 1.0.59845 - 1.0.1761.

With the next Dev Win 11 build I will try just disabling MB and see how it goes.

Edited by AdvancedSetup
Corrected font issue

• Solution
3 hours ago, Soozy said:

With the next Dev Win 11 build I will try just disabling MB and see how it goes.

I would disable start with Windows first then quit Malwarebytes from the system tray. Do not forget to enable when done.

image.png.4ea9e69e701b9d38acab275af635ea14.pngimage.png.064aba70652c054802ef059759c80ea2.png

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Even though for some Malwarebytes has played a part in the Update issue Microsoft has already admitted those update have issues on their own and even those without Malwarebytes are facing issues.

Yes, Microsoft Dev builds can have issues, but the Dev nailed this update problem down to something MBAM was blocking.

• 1 month later...
On 9/14/2022 at 1:37 PM, Soozy said:

Disabling MBAM worked like a charm and the Dev build 25201 updated with no problem.

For those running Dev Channel Windows 11 builds the solution is a workaround, not a fix.

I tried the Windows 11 update again last week leaving MBAM on and it failed again with the same error.

Only the 2nd time in 8 years I've had a long bug issue between MS and MBAM.

• Root Admin

Please see the following

As posted by Phxflyer
https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/289148-win-11-cumulative-update-kb5016629-failing-to-install-due-to-malwarebytes/?do=findComment&comment=1528421

On 8/12/2022 at 8:43 AM, Phxflyer said:

I know this is not my thread but I may have something to add. I have two threads running on the Microsoft Forum for past KB cumulative updates failing to install (under the name KenMel). I had no problems through the June 14th updates. I couldn't install the June quality update nor the July 12th update. I disabled Malwarebytes and unchecked load at startup. Rebooted and was able to install KB5015814. I haven't tried to install the Aug update yet. What I have seen on my threads is there are many workarounds that have worked. BUT... some work for some people while the same won't work for others. Some people have used a combination of workarounds to get the updates to install. Disabling Malwarebytes; disabling .NETFrameworks; doing an in-place repair using the Win 11 ISO and on and on. This is not an isolated event. 

I chatted with Microsoft support. This a direct quote from that chat: 

Yes, it's a common issue with Windows 11 and we're currently working on it. Apologies for the inconvenience. For now, we highly suggest that you install the updates using the ISO file. This should install all pending updates and quality fixes.
Please go to this link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows11 
1. Scroll down a little and once you see Download Windows 11 Disk Image (ISO), please click the dropdown and choose Windows 11 and then choose your desire language and then choose 64 bit and start downloading.

I certainly can't explain why disabling MB worked for me. Many others with the problem are not even using MB. This is affecting AMD and Intel CPU's. Brand new store bought PC's. Older home built PC's. I personally am waiting for Microsoft to come up with a "real" fix before I try installing another cumulative update. And this is ONLY affecting cumulative updates. Other updates are installing fine. 

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/289148-win-11-cumulative-update-kb5016629-failing-to-install-due-to-malwarebytes/?do=findComment&comment=1530798

On 8/31/2022 at 6:56 PM, Phxflyer said:

Yes. What I posted there were the directions given to me by Microsoft support. One thing I didn't emphasis and may be missed while doing this is to check the box NOT to install updates at this time. That is steps 6 and 7. If you don't check this, the failing update will try to load during the repair and since the system is not fixed yet, it will fail and roll back. The link is a generic way to do a repair install and isn't taking into consideration why you are doing it so it gives you the option to do them during the repair. I had that failure happen to me on my first attempt to do the repair. Just a waste of time to have to start over again. It will tell you the upgrade failed due to failure to install an update. 

Let me know if I can be of any assistance. I started a new thread on the Microsoft Forum (I have a different log in name there) and it explains what I did for the latest update:

Help with Installing Updates

Yes, it's a common issue with Windows 11 and we're currently working on it. Apologies for the inconvenience. For now, we highly suggest that you install the updates using the ISO file. This should install all pending updates and quality fixes.
Please go to this link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows11 
1. Scroll down a little and once you see Download Windows 11 Disk Image (ISO), please click the dropdown and choose Windows 11 and then choose your desire language and then choose 64 bit and start downloading.

Edited by AdvancedSetup
Updated information

I've seen those threads already as I am a MS Volunteer Moderator and an WIMVP.

My issue updating a full build started in July. The source of the problem was found by a MS Dev looking

at my failed update logs.

Per MS:  MWB is locking out permission to files the servicing operation needs.  Since the files aren't accessible by the OS, the update fails.

This issue was reported by myself here and the MS Dev to MBAM.

I have no problem using the workaround, but would like to see the issue acknowledged on the MBAM side and not just get the

"well it's a MS Dev build they have problems".  Sorry for the rant.

Edited by AdvancedSetup
Corrected font issue

• Root Admin

Not trying to give you the "rant" but as an MVP you know very well that there are thousands and thousands of customers with updating issues that have nothing to do with Malwarebytes. I myself have worked as an Enterprise Systems Engineer for decades and know that there is rarely ever a single cause for such failures. We absolutely could be exacerbating the cause for failure. Just don't want every person with an update failure thinking it is because they're running Malwarebytes.

We have to pass all kinds of verification processes in order to pass Microsoft certification. I'm sure that if the Microsoft Developer reported through the official channel our  Developers have been made aware. I will point our internal team to your post though so they're aware and can follow up with Microsoft.

Thank you for reporting

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 10/18/2022 at 1:27 PM, AdvancedSetup said:

Not trying to give you the "rant" but as an MVP you know very well that there are thousands and thousands of customers with updating issues that have nothing to do with Malwarebytes. I myself have worked as an Enterprise Systems Engineer for decades and know that there is rarely ever a single cause for such failures. We absolutely could be exacerbating the cause for failure. Just don't want every person with an update failure thinking it is because they're running Malwarebytes.

We have to pass all kinds of verification processes in order to pass Microsoft certification. I'm sure that if the Microsoft Developer reported through the official channel our  Developers have been made aware. I will point our internal team to your post though so they're aware and can follow up with Microsoft.

Thank you for reporting

Just tested this again today and the build update is still failing unless the above workaround is used.

• Root Admin

I'm sorry you're having issue, but once again. We do not support Development builds of Windows.

There are 60K+ installations of Malwarebytes every single day. There are some, but very few reports of installation issues.

If you install the release version of Windows 11 and are still having issues then let us know.

We won't be trying to debug what Microsoft is doing every month on Developer builds, but we do try to review and work on issues if they're found, but it's not our main drive to support development builds.

Thank you again