Threat Service Has Stopped

I recently updated my free version of Malwarebytes, and in doing so, I got a 14-day trial of Malwarebytes Premium. This is pretty standard, happens every time there's an update. I typically do not have any problems. However, this time I decided to end my trial prematurely. Since doing that, I have been having issues with Windows Defender.

Whenever I open up Virus & threat protection, I get the message "Threat service has stopped. Restart it now." I then click on Restart, and after two minutes of waiting, I get "Unexpected error. Sorry, we ran into a problem. Please try again." I uninstalled Malwarebytes, restarted, ran CCleaner to fix registry issues, restarted, reinstalled Malwarebytes, restarted. I can only assume that ending the 14-day trial early and reverting back to the free version of Malwarebytes somehow messed with Windows Defender.

I discovered that Windows Defender Antivirus Service is missing from Windows Services, but WinDefend is present in the registry at Hkey_Local_Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Services. Followed along with this post from the Microsoft forum but I have no clue what to do next.

@tiredpotato

Lets try this first.

Please do the following

• Download the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  • Please close all browsers and programs before running the tool. Right click and quit MB from the system tray also.

Once done it will attempt to reinstall both Malwarebytes and Privacy VPN.

Please say no and close the X button on the top right for Privacy.

image.png.ceb8904aa05b51cd68038a6cc0ad07ad.png

22 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Once done it will attempt to reinstall both Malwarebytes and Privacy VPN.

Please say no and close the X button on the top right for Privacy.

I misread this part and clicked yes to reinstall Malwarebytes. Realizing my mistake, I ran the support tool again, clicked Clean, and this time I clicked no. I restarted my pc and I still have the "Threat service has stopped. Restart it now." message.

3 hours ago, tiredpotato said:

I discovered that Windows Defender Antivirus Service is missing from Windows Services, but WinDefend is present in the registry at Hkey_Local_Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Services. Followed along with this post from the Microsoft forum but I have no clue what to do next.

Just learned that Windows Defender Antivirus Service is now called Microsoft Defender Antivirus Service. I was able to find Microsoft Defender Antivirus Service running in my Services, along with Security Center.

Hello @tiredpotato Woudl you please be more specific as to what you need help on ?  In addition, Would suggesr 2 reports for review. But first, 

Start Malwarebytes. Click Settings ( gear ) icon. Next, lets make real sure that Malwarebytes does NOT register with Windows Security Center

Click the Security Tab. Scroll down to

"Windows Security Center"

Click the selection to the left  for the line "Always register Malwarebytes in the Windows Security Center".
{ We want that to be set as Off   .... be sure that line's  radio-button selection is all the way to the Left.  thanks. }

This will not affect any real-time protection of the Malwarebytes for Windows    😃.

Close Malwarebytes.

>

Download   Farbar's Service Scanner utility

and Save to your Desktop.

Right-Click on fss.exe and select Run As Administrator.

Answer Yes to ok when prompted.

If your firewall then puts out a prompt, again, allow it to run.

Once FSS is on-screen, be sure the following items are check-marked:

• Internet Services
    Windows Firewall
    System Restore
    Security Center/Action Center
    Windows Update
    Windows Defender
    Other services

Click on "Scan".

It will create a log (FSS.txt) in the same directory the tool is run.   Please attach that file. 

[    2    ]

I would recommend getting a readout report as to update the status of some key apps.

• and save the tool on the desktop.
  • If Windows's  SmartScreen block that with a message-window, then
  • Click on the MORE INFO spot and over-ride that and allow it to proceed.

This tool is safe.   Smartscreen is overly sensitive.

Right-click  with your mouse on the Securitycheck.exe  and select "Run as administrator"   and reply YES to allow to run & go forward
Wait for the scan to finish. It will open in a text file named SecurityType.txt. Close the file.  Attach it with your next reply.
You can find this file in a folder called SecurityCheck, C:\SecurityCheck\SecurityCheck.txt

Edited by AdvancedSetup
Corrected font issue

On 4/13/2022 at 11:20 AM, Maurice Naggar said:

Start Malwarebytes. Click Settings ( gear ) icon. Next, lets make real sure that Malwarebytes does NOT register with Windows Security Center

Click the Security Tab. Scroll down to

"Windows Security Center"

Click the selection to the left  for the line "Always register Malwarebytes in the Windows Security Center".
{ We want that to be set as Off   .... be sure that line's  radio-button selection is all the way to the Left.  thanks. }

@Maurice Naggar Well, right off the bat, I am unable to do this. 

image.png.f8b2ecbcd86902353b7c166a8a8f6916.png

This is a premium only feature, and if I want to set it as Off, I have to upgrade to the full version. As I mentioned in my first post, I use the free version of Malwarebytes. So what do I do? Do I have to upgrade to the paid version so that I can turn this one feature off?

FSS.txt SecurityCheck.txt

@tiredpotato It would help to have another more detailed report set for review. This is a report only.

• Please download & Save MALWAREBYTES MBST Support Tool
  • Launch it & then  click Advanced >>> then Gather Logs
  • Have patience till the run has finished.
  • Upload an archive once it is done. Attach the mbst-grab-results.zip from the Desktop.

• 3 weeks later...

Due to the lack of feedback, this topic is closed to prevent others from posting here.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this topic. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Tips to help protect from infection

Thanks