Installing XP SP2

firmmother

I have been progressively having problems with a XP Pro Laptop over the past few weeks, and i suspect that much of it is because I am still using SP1

:D

Apparently ad-aware somehow broke the exe and lnk associations, and I fixed that and then . . . . . yesterday I get slammed with a couple of nasties and it's been one thing after another

So I'm anticipating that I am going to get the sugestion from the forums to upgrade to sp2

before I go off and blindly update I thought I would inquire on what I should do to make sure I don't end up with a laptop that can only be used as an anchor.

Links to guides or whatever suggestions you may have are greatly appreciated.

firmmother, Welcome to Malwarebytes.

What I would do....

1. First create a ghost image of the computer. (this will allow you go go back to where you started should something get hosed).

This image will contain all your files and operating system as well.

2. I would go to microsoft.com and download SP3 instead of SP2. Download the network install one, that way you dont have to be

connected to the internet during the install.

3. Once you are updated to SP3 (or 2 if you decide) go to Microsoft update web site and get any critical updates that came out after

the service pack you installed.

4. Install a good antivirus program

5. Install latest version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware program.

Thanks for the responses

So here is my new issue - went to Control Panel - System to try and enable updates to make sure I have everything needed before I do update

And system will not left click open -I get a pop up with Exporting your private exchange key in the header

asking for CryptoAPI Private Key and saying an application is requesting access to a protected item

I kill pump.exe. in process explorer and the pop up shuts down but System dialog box does not come up

I somehow got the computer manager up by right clicking on my computer, and killing pump.exe through task manager.

With the same process I can get IE for a few seconds before something closes it.

BTW the goal is to make sure I have any other required updates in place before I start to update to SP3.

But now I'm think not such a great idea - if this virus is effecting system files, i have no idea what it will during an upgrade process downloading lots of them.

What do you think?

firmmother if your computer is infected, you have to clean the infection first. After you clean the infection then install SP3. Not need to check for updates first, as SP3 will have a lot of those updates included in SP3. After SP3 is installed, then go check for any additional updates.

But first follow the instructions below to clean your computer.

To get you fixed up, please follow these instructions:

follow these instructions & post it in the HiJackLog Forum please

Scan and post logs - read note at bottom in green

If you're having Malware related issues with your computer that you're unable to resolve.

1. Please read and follow the instructions provided here: I'm infected - What do I do now?
  2. If needed please post your logs in a NEW topic here: Malware Removal - HijackThis Logs
  3. When posting logs please do not use any Quote, Code, or other tags. Please copy/paste directly into your post and do not attach files unless requested.

• Please do not post any logs in the General forum. We do not work on any logs posted in the General forum.
  • Please do not install any software or use any removal/scanning tool except for those you're requested to run by the Helper that will assist you.
  • Using these other tools often makes the cleanup task more difficult and time consuming.
  • If you have already submitted for assistance at one of the other support sites on the Internet then you should not post a new log here, you should stay working with the Helper from that site until the issue is resolved.
  • Do not assume you're clean because you don't see something in the logs. Please wait until the person assisting you provides feedback.
  • There are often many others that require asistance as well, so please be patient. If no one has responded within 48 hours then please go ahead and post a request for review

NOTE: If for some reason you're unable to run some or any of the tools in the first link, then skip that step and move on to the next one. If you can't even run HijackThis, then just proceed and post a NEW topic as shown in the second link describing your issues and someone will assist you as soon as they can.

Thanks FF

Already did it in the middle of the night last night. Post is titled

MBAM scans but runtime error 93

But I think I'm screwed as all the anti malware software appears to need SP2 minimum.

Lack of sleep apparently encouraged my to think that updating before the virus is vanquished was a good idea

Thanks again - I will wait patiently for a reply from HJT logs

• Root Admin

@srtools1980y

I removed your link to a Microsoft download file that was not hosted by Microsoft. There is no reason to point anyone to download link for a Microsoft file except to a Microsoft site.

Thanks.

Here is a valid Microsoft link for said XP Service Pack 3 download from Microsoft.

For others reading this post, DO NOT install it though if your system is infected. WAIT until your system is clean and then you can install said Service Pack if needed.

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers