Malwarebytes Blocking Reviews on Retail Sites

jojomart
Go to solution Solved by gonzo,

I've been having trouble for a while now, trying to view reviews on retail websites. I searched online and was told to check browser extensions. I turned off Malwarebytes, and the reviews are now showing. I really don't want to turn the extension off altogether, so can this glitch be fixed?

Windows 10

Malwarebytes 4.5

Chrome Version 96.0.4664.110 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Please realize that  *MANY* retail site reviews are fake.  The reviewers do not exist.  They are created by a site owner or a third party to create an atmosphere of a loyal following and to drum-up business.

Thus one should not rely on reviews on retail websites as their validity can not be trusted or verified.

Reference:
FTC Puts Hundreds of Businesses on Notice about Fake Reviews and Other Misleading Endorsements

4 hours ago, David H. Lipman said:

Please realize that  *MANY* retail site reviews are fake.  The reviewers do not exist.  They are created by a site owner or a third party to create an atmosphere of a loyal following and to drum-up business.

Thus one should not rely on reviews on retail websites as their validity can not be trusted or verified.

Reference:
FTC Puts Hundreds of Businesses on Notice about Fake Reviews and Other Misleading Endorsements

That has nothing to do with it. There are good AND bad reviews, and I shouldn't have to remove the Malwarebytes extension to see them. This is not helpful.

40 minutes ago, Porthos said:

@jojomart

You need to post the sites in question.

Please post suspect and/or malicious URLs safely by using Code Tags.

It is happening with a lot of sites, including large sites such as Home Depot, Canadian Tire, etc. Amazon, I have no trouble with. I am not the only user who has had this happen, as you can see by the link below. It is happening with a lot of different anti-virus software extensions. I decided to try turning Malwarebytes off first, as the post in the link states that it is probably an anti-virus extension that was causing the problem. With the extension turned off, I can now see the reviews without a problem, on all retail sites.

https://support.google.com/chrome/thread/13915235/google-chrome-not-displaying-reviews-on-webpages?hl=en

image.png

16 minutes ago, jojomart said:

and I shouldn't have to remove the Malwarebytes extension to see them. This is not helpful.

I am not having issues with Home Depot. I can see the reviews. That being said, you can exclude any site you wish.

The review blocks when present, are usually because of trackers and AD's which is Browser Guard's purpose to block.

image.png.0ea802ba759f3a833b96bd73fdebfbf3.png

Home depot reviews. I have not put them in the allow list.

image.thumb.png.b74165b16242143e22e28886d23d0ea8.png

• Solution

Chrome thinks its better for you to see their weird little blob icon rather than what it represents.  Click that (in the upper right corner of your browser) and enable Browser Guard to appear. You can then see the Malwarebytes icon.  Click it to open the Browser Guard interface.

I have fixed canadiantire.ca so that you can see reviews.  PLEASE ALLOW 15-30 MINUTES FOR CHANGES TO TAKE EFFECT.  Changes I made are effective only for that site.  If you see other sites with the same issue, please let us know, as I cannot make changes without verification of both the issue and the appropriateness of the change being requested.

Edited by gonzo
left out something
3 hours ago, gonzo said:

Chrome thinks its better for you to see their weird little blob icon rather than what it represents.  Click that (in the upper right corner of your browser) and enable Browser Guard to appear. You can then see the Malwarebytes icon.  Click it to open the Browser Guard interface.

I have fixed canadiantire.ca so that you can see reviews.  PLEASE ALLOW 15-30 MINUTES FOR CHANGES TO TAKE EFFECT.  Changes I made are effective only for that site.  If you see other sites with the same issue, please let us know, as I cannot make changes without verification of both the issue and the appropriateness of the change being requested.

I got it now. Thank you!

• gonzo locked this topic