WebClient Service?

Firefox

WebClient Service

Enables Windows-based programs to create, access, and modify Internet-based files. If this service is stopped, these functions will not be available. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.

I see the explanation for this service, but what does it do? Can anyone share some light on it? Do I need it running?

Greetings ;) .

According to this an explanation is hard to find and I'm inclined to agree. Truthfully, I doubt it's needed but I did find a possible explanation from a member of Microsoft support in a thread here:

Enables Windows-based programs to create, access, and modify Internet-based files. If this service is stopped, these functions will not be available. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start. This service may also be responsible for clicking on hyperlinks embedded within applications, such as in email clients to open up a new window.

It's up to you whether you leave it as is, but if it's set to manual then it will run if it's needed and won't if it's not so it shouldn't affect your performance.

I have that service disabled on my laptop; makes absolutely no difference to logging on/off the internet; logging on/off Windows itself; general surfing or file/folder management as far as I can see. As for "embedded hyperlinks within applications possibly not working" - yet to see a problem related to that service.

[Running Vista business edition 32-bit (not on a domain, not a shared computer; a standalone system].