Win7 SP1 Install failure

Gwilhelm

While installing MalwareBytes Endpoint agent I receive a popup that says "Installing on Windows 7 requires KB3140245" I click OK and the installation fails with the following error. 0x80070643 - Fatal error during installation. I have attached the log file. When I get the update KB3140245 and attempt to install it I get an error that says "This update is not applicable to your computer". The computer have updated patches and I have restarted but it makes no difference.  

So far I have three Win7 machines I get this error while attempting to install. 

Malwarebytes_Endpoint_Agent_20210204174937.log

18 minutes ago, Gwilhelm said:

Regardless whether you refuse or not I need to get this installed..

I did not mean it exactly the way you took it. I understand your predicament.

18 minutes ago, Gwilhelm said:

Is there someone on the forum that will help?  

Do you have physical access to the computers?

With the above info I can find some assistance for you.

Edited by Porthos

2 hours ago, Gwilhelm said:

Anyway. I do not have physical access to the computers. I am working remotely. Is there something that you can glean from the logs? 

Sorry for the delay here, I have sent a notification to the Business Support team. If you haven't already done so, please create a business support ticket here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

@Gwilhelm based on the KB being presented and the system requirements for Windows 7 SP1, it sounds like the issue is that Transport Layer Security (TLS) 1.2 is not enabled on the device or the required KB is missing. If you have verified that KB3140245 or one that supersedes it is installed, then you will want to verify TLS 1.2 is actually enabled. More information on that can be found here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/update-to-enable-tls-1-1-and-tls-1-2-as-default-secure-protocols-in-winhttp-in-windows-c4bd73d2-31d7-761e-0178-11268bb10392

One last thing to check, also make sure .NET 4.5.2 or higher is installed too. That is also needed in addition to TLS 1.2 support on Windows 7 SP1. If needed, the full system requirements can be found here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360038522274

• Thanks 1

• Root Admin

As support from Microsoft for Windows 7 has expired you may wish to also review the following links which can help you to obtain at least the very latest updates to the operating system that were available at the time support expired to help prevent some exploits.

Try the link that @AlexSmith provided first, then if needed review the other links below.

How to obtain and install Windows 7 SP2

Microsoft .NET Framework 4.8 offline installer for Windows

You will almost certainly have to use the Microsoft Catalog Sever to obtain some of these updates. If you have questions or need additional assistance please let me know as I've updated quite a few Windows 7 systems this past year for various users.

Thank you @Gwilhelm

• Staff

@Gwilhelm If you search through your KB updates could we find KB3161949 and KB3125574 if they are installed and remove those as they should allow for KB3140245 to install if it is not currently installed on the endpoint then we can try finalizing the Malwarebytes Installation again. 

Edited by AdvancedSetup
corrected font issue
  • Like 1