Malwarebytes Tray Application

I'm on Day #4 of the 14 day Malwarebytes trial, after not having used Malwarebytes for 5 years.  I noticed  something new since I last used the program in 1025...an application entitled "Malwarebytes Tray Application" running in conjunction with the Malwarebytes program.  

I've been closing out Malwarebytes Tray Application using Task Manager, bacuase it is usng resources.  

What is "Malwarebytes Tray Application", its purpose, function, applicaiton?  Is it part of the Trial version of Malwarebytes ?  Should I leave it running?

I've sccoured the Interweb, and couldnt find anyting difinitive.

Thanks in advance for you help.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes for Windows Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following:

Malwarebytes Support Tool - Advanced Options

This feature is designed for the following reasons:

• For use when you are on the forums and need to provide logs for assistance
  • For use when you don't need or want to create a ticket with Malwarebytes
  • For use when you want to perform local troubleshooting on your own

How to use the Advanced Options:

Spoiler
  1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  3. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  4. Navigate to the Advanced tab
  5. The Advanced menu page contains four categories:
    • Gather Logs: Collects troubleshooting information from the computer. As part of this process, Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) is run to perform a complete diagnosis. The information is saved to a file on the Desktop named mbst-grab-results.zip and can be added as an email attachment or uploaded to a forum post to assist with troubleshooting the issue at hand.
    • Clean: Performs an automated uninstallation of all Malwarebytes products installed to the computer and prompts to install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows afterwards. The Premium license key is backed up and reinstated. All user configurations and other data are removed. This process requires a reboot.
    •  Repair System: Includes various system-related repairs in case a Windows service is not functioning correctly that Malwarebytes for Windows is dependent on. It is not recommended to use any Repair System options unless instructed by a Malwarebytes Support agent.
    • Anonymously help the community by providing usage and threat statistics: Unchecking this option will prevent Malwarebytes Support Tool from sending anonymous telemetry data on usage of the program.
  6. To provide logs for review click the Gather Logs button
  7. Upon completion, click OK
  8. A file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop
  9. Please attach the file in your next reply.
  10. To uninstall all Malwarebytes Products, click the Clean button.
  11. Click the Yes button to proceed. 
  12. Save all your work and click OK when you are ready to reboot.
  13. After the reboot, you will have the option to re-install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows.
  14. Select Yes to install Malwarebytes.
  15. Malwarebytes for Windows will open once the installation completes successfully.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Spoiler

01.png

02.png

03.png

04.png

05.png

06.png

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/requests/new to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: Find my premium license key

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

5 minutes ago, Porthos said:

The trial is the same as the paid version. Are you planning to purchase a subscription?

Perhaps.  Any thoughts on my Malwarebytes Tray Application question??  Does Malwarebytes Tray Application  go away after trial period if you become a paying subscriber??  Does it go away if you dont become a paid subscriber??  Does Malwarebytes Tray Application  remain after trial period if you become a paying subscriber??  Does it remain if you dont become a paid subscriber??  Is Malwarebytes Tray Application unrelated to subscription status??

1 minute ago, Dubble_D said:

Is Malwarebytes Tray Application unrelated to subscription status??

It is a important part of the program and is there for a reason. It is using 15 MB on my system as I type.

It is required for the real time protection of Malwarebytes.

Again are you planning to use the paid version after the trial is over???

My apologies to the forum for my mistake-laden first post to this thread topic.  It was a long day, so I was pretty exhausted when I posted.  Too bad there is no edit feature.

Anyways, this is how it should have read...

I'm on Day #4 of the 14 day Malwarebytes trial, after not having used Malwarebytes for 5 years.  I noticed  something new since I last used the program in 2015...an application entitled "Malwarebytes Tray Application" running in conjunction with the Malwarebytes program.  

I've been closing out Malwarebytes Tray Application using Task Manager, because it is using resources.  

What is "Malwarebytes Tray Application", its purpose, function, application?  Is it part of the Trial version of Malwarebytes ?  Should I leave it running?

I've scoured the Interweb, and couldn't find anything definitive.

Thanks in advance for you help.

And thanks again to Porthos for your help with this issue!!

Greetings,

I'd like to provide some details if I may.  The tray application is just the interface for showing that Malwarebytes is running in the background and for displaying notifications/messages from the program (such as alerts when a threat has been blocked or detected by a scan), however if you're using the free version then it's primarily there for easy access, should you wish to keep it in the background for launching scans any time.  That said, you may exit Malwarebytes completely using the menu in the tray by right-clicking on it and selecting Quit Malwarebytes, and of course you may keep it from running when your system starts via the option indicated by Porthos above.

If you're using the free version and you don't want or need Malwarebytes running in the background for easy access, you can simply exit it as mentioned and then open Malwarebytes using the desktop shortcut or START menu shortcut whenever you want to run a scan, then quit via the option in the tray again once you are done if you don't want it to continue running.

I hope this helps, and if there is anything else we might assist with please let us know.

Thanks

1 hour ago, exile360 said:

Greetings,

I'd like to provide some details if I may.  The tray application is just the interface for showing that Malwarebytes is running in the background and for displaying notifications/messages from the program (such as alerts when a threat has been blocked or detected by a scan), however if you're using the free version then it's primarily there for easy access, should you wish to keep it in the background for launching scans any time.  That said, you may exit Malwarebytes completely using the menu in the tray by right-clicking on it and selecting Quit Malwarebytes, and of course you may keep it from running when your system starts via the option indicated by Porthos above.

If you're using the free version and you don't want or need Malwarebytes running in the background for easy access, you can simply exit it as mentioned and then open Malwarebytes using the desktop shortcut or START menu shortcut whenever you want to run a scan, then quit via the option in the tray again once you are done if you don't want it to continue running.

I hope this helps, and if there is anything else we might assist with please let us know.

Thanks

exile360 thank you for the reply.  I prefer the "on-demand" use of Malwarebytes Free, so your contribution is very helpful/appreciated. 

On 7/25/2020 at 10:12 PM, Porthos said:

Yes and no, In the free version you can disable start with Windows and it will not start until you run a scan.

I followed your instructions, disabling start with Windows, rebooted my computer, and now Malwarebytes will not launch when I click on the Malwarebytes icon. Task Manager is showing "Malwarebytes Tray Application" running, but not the Malwarebytes program.

So with my bad luck, I have somehow not eliminated my original problem, created another even larger problem; i.e., Malwarebytes is no longer functioning.

Please help!!

1 minute ago, Dubble_D said:

I followed your instructions, disabling start with Windows, rebooted my computer, and now Malwarebytes will not launch when I click on the Malwarebytes icon. Task Manager is showing "Malwarebytes Tray Application" running, but not the Malwarebytes program.

So with my bad luck, I have somehow not eliminated my original problem, created another even larger problem; i.e., Malwarebytes is no longer functioning.

Please help!!

Using Task Manager, I terminated the "Malwarebytes Tray Application", then clicked on the "Malwarebytes" icon, and the program launched/loaded.  So that is the workaround Im now having to use just to get the program to work.

What a nightmare this has become!  🤦🏻 🤷🏻😭

That is unfortunate, however we should be able to get it fixed.  Please do the following:

1. Run the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Accept the EULA and click Start Repair
  3. Please be patient while the tool runs, it can sometimes take several minutes to complete
  4. Follow the onscreen instructions and restart your system if prompted to do so to complete the repair process

If that doesn't fix it, try a clean install to see if that gets it working:

1. Download and run the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Accept the EULA and click Advanced tab on the left (not Start Repair)
  3. Click the Clean button, and allow it to restart your system and then reinstall Malwarebytes, either by allowing the tool to do so when it offers to on restart, or by downloading and installing the latest version from here

Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks

1 hour ago, Dubble_D said:

This has turned into a nightmare.  I have chosen to remove Malwarebytes from my system because of the headaches it has caused. I am very sorry and regretful for having tried it again.

Best of luck to all.  Good bye.

I would have loved to see some logs from the support tool to see what else is loaded on the computer and i there were any possible conflicts.

I am with Porthos in that I would like to collect a set of logs for analysis as it may help to resolve these issues should anyone else experience them who uses Malwarebytes.  If you are willing, we would appreciate if you would do the following (you don't have to install Malwarebytes again; you can run the tool without having Malwarebytes installed):

3. Click the Gather Logs button, and once it completes, attach the zip file it creates on your desktop to your next reply

Of course this is just a request and you don't have to provide the logs, but we would very much appreciate it if you would be willing to do so.

Thanks

11 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I would have loved to see some logs from the support tool to see what else is loaded on the computer and i there were any possible conflicts.

3 minutes ago, exile360 said:

I am with Porthos in that I would like to collect a set of logs for analysis as it may help to resolve these issues should anyone else experience them who uses Malwarebytes.  If you are willing, we would appreciate if you would do the following (you don't have to install Malwarebytes again; you can run the tool without having Malwarebytes installed):

3. Click the Gather Logs button, and once it completes, attach the zip file it creates on your desktop to your next reply

Of course this is just a request and you don't have to provide the logs, but we would very much appreciate it if you would be willing to do so.

Thanks

Thanks to both of you for your help.  Respectfully, I no longer have the time, patience, or desire to pursue this after all of the difficulties this program has caused me.  I had no issues with my PC before installing Malwarebytes, and I figured I'd try it again as a second line of on-demand defense.  Unfortunately, it turned out to be a complete and utter disaster.  I blame myself for that decision, and I also take responsibility for my decision.  Regrettable, it is something I never should have tried.

Best of luck to all.  

DD

Just now, Porthos said:

Do you have any other 3rd party AV programs over and above Windows Defender that comes with Windows?

No.  I just ran/run WD.  I've now switched back to WD w/its complete real time protection after removing Malwarebytes earlier this morning. 

Take care.

Just now, Dubble_D said:

No.  I just ran/run WD.  I've now switched back to WD w/its complete real time protection after removing Malwarebytes earlier this morning. 

Take care.

Be safe. Sorry things did not work out. I understand the frustration when things do not go as expected.

I know we could have assisted getting things running correctly. But that is beside the point at this time.

Last query, When it was working, did Malwarebytes detect anything during its scans?

10 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Be safe. Sorry things did not work out. I understand the frustration when things do not go as expected.

I know we could have assisted getting things running correctly. But that is beside the point at this time.

Last query, When it was working, did Malwarebytes detect anything during its scans?

No.  My computer was clean.  I try to meticulously maintain my equipment.  WD seems to do an adequate protection job. For the record, I still use  Malwarebytes Browser Guard, in conjunction with Adblock Plus.  Works beautifully together.