Serious problem with the latest beta

Massimiliano

I have performed a complete custom scan of the System Disk and it would seem that Malwarebytes has quarantined all the files related to the pre-installed Windows 10 apps contained in the c:\program files\windowsapps folder

In total 70 elements.

Obviously everything is in quarantine and I don't delete it until you give me the OK

I attach all the reports that you may need to evaluate the situation.

Don't hesitate to ask for anything else that was needed

report.txt

mbst-grab-results.zip

FRST.txt

Addition.txt

AdwCleaner[S00].txt

I await your response

Good evening

Massimiliano

• Staff

Hi @MAXBAR1 - it would seem you have enabled the 'Use expert system algorithms to identify malicious files' setting, which is not enabled by default.

Do you see the same detections if you disable that setting?

I'm going to move this topic to our False Positives section of the forum. Please do not quarantine these items. If you have already quarantined them, do NOT delete them.

Edited by tetonbob

2 minutes ago, MAXBAR1 said:

it would seem that Malwarebytes has quarantined all the files related to the pre-installed Windows 10 apps contained in the c:\program files\windowsapps folder

You have the following new feature turned on. I would restore the quarantine and disable that feature until the kinks are worked out.

Also it will seem the toggle does not work(another bug) but if you close the GUI and reopen it will be off.

2020-06-21_13h53_37.png

Yes, I had put the files in quarantine, waiting to know how to behave (as I wrote above)
This morning I deactivated the new safety option (of which I confirm that the switch does not work correctly, neither in activation nor in deactivation) but the recovery from quarantine does not work (see screenshot attached).

In previous scans (versions where this option did not exist) it never detected these files.
I would add that the number of items scanned and the scan time have increased exponentially with this latter configuration.

1303462007_Recoveryattempt.JPG.0c148fc6f2445cb159244f45a5861398.JPG

In the PopUp it is written Unable to restore one or more quarantined items: access denied

I await your response

Good day

Massimiliano

On 6/22/2020 at 7:46 AM, Porthos said:

Have you restarted the computer before trying to restore? If not, do that please.

Same behavior even when restarting the machine.

Anyone know how to get me to restore the items?

However the apps all work

Edited by MAXBAR1
changed information

• Staff

If all the apps still work then i would leave it alone. I would backup the quarantine folder in case you find something that doesnt work later on.

Two things why you may not be able to restore.

Windows protects these files so even though we quarantined which involves copying windows may not allow any file to be deleted from there. This would explain why the apps still work. 

The files already exist because they werent actually deleted so we wouldnt be able to copy them back if they exist already.

This directory is protected by windows and would take a bunch of permissions changes to write any file into there. If everything still works it is best to leave it alone. 

• 2 weeks later...