High memory usage?

7 minutes ago, tkmops said:

Search done, found it in Desktop (C:\Users\Tod Admin)(I must be signed in another account...that's why the desktop was not showing it?) attached. 

mbst-grab-results.zip 7.46 MB · 0 downloads

Before anything else I noticed the computer is needing a restart.

Pending Windows Update Reboot
==================================
A reboot is pending
Windows Update: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update\RebootRequired
Windows Update: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing\RebootPending
Windows Update: C:\Windows\WinSxS\pending.xml

6 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Before anything else I noticed the computer is needing a restart.

I did a Win update a few days ago, and thought all updates had been installed...I see in view update history, 2 updates are pending....will reboot and post back later. If I don't post back within a reasonable time, then my PC has crashed(which has happened in the past after Win updates), and will post back when I can. 

Thanks, hopefully you won't suffer another crash, but please let us know how it goes.  I also saw an item for Malwarebytes among the items awaiting a reboot so that may be part of the issue as well, and if so, the reboot should resolve it assuming it is able to install correctly on reboot.

I also noticed that you have Windows Media Player excluded from Malwarebytes for both Malware Protection and Ransomware Protection, is there any particular reason you created these exclusions?  I just want to make sure we aren't skipping over any other issues that might be relevant:

Exclusion Info:
==================================
Malware Exclusions:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player                                                             [folder]
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe                                                [file]
E:\Program Files\Windows Media Player                                                                   [folder]
I:\Program Files\Windows Media Player                                                                   [folder]
I:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player                                                             [folder]
	Ransomware Exclusions:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player                                                             [folder]
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe                                                [file]
E:\Program Files\Windows Media Player                                                                   [folder]
I:\Program Files\Windows Media Player                                                                   [folder]
I:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player     

On 1/31/2020 at 2:08 PM, tkmops said:

I must be signed in another account...that's why the desktop was not showing it

I also suggest if you are not already doing it make sure you log out of an account instead of just switching.

Also speaking of exclusions.

Seems you are using MSE

Add the following exclusions to MSE

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbae64.sys
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\MbamElam.sys
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\MBAMChameleon.sys
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\MBAMSwissArmy.sys
C:\Windows\system32\Drivers\farflt.sys

Add to Process exclusions the following files. (copy and paste works best on these)

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MbamPt.exe

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\mbam.exe

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\assistant.exe

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\malwarebytes_assistant.exe

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MBAMWsc.exe

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\mbamtray.exe

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MBAMService.exe

Folders
Also the MB folder in Program Files and the one in Program Data (it is hidden by default)

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes
C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes   (Enable hidden files to add this one.)

Then add MSE to Malwarebytes Add to the Allow List in Malwarebytes for Windows v4.

Edited by AdvancedSetup
updated links

By the way, if you have multiple users active at the same time that could definitely be the cause of the higher than normal RAM usage since the same service must monitor all processes and threads for all active users on the system.  If you are loading up 2 or more users when you boot your system, try logging into just one account instead and see what the RAM usage is to verify.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Just as I was about to re-boot my PC, I got a call that I needed to go out-of-town on a work consultation emergency. I'm on call 24/7/365 to companies that still use IBM 360-390 mainframes, and/or Cobol/Assembler issues. 

Got back last night, and was able to boot up...the MBAMService was/and still is about 357,680k.
So, I'm guessing that the high memory usage from last week was from Win and/or Malwarebytes updates not fully installed?

Should I download another 'mb-support-1.5.4.760.exe'(or a newer one), and do another check?  

Regarding your post about being signed into multiple accounts at the same time...I sign into one account at a time. Once in a while I will switch to another account, if my main account is having issues, just to see what's going on, then log out of that account. I don't have multiple accounts running at the same time. I'm not sure why the 'mbst-grab-results.zip' got put into a non-signed into account(admin), and not to my signed into account desktop. I use my 'standard' account for better security.

So, I think we're all good...thanks for your help😊