High memory usage?

My PC(Win 7, 64bit, 16GB RAM) has been 'sluggish'(mouse moves jerky, audio and video  'sputters') for about a week. I just noticed in Task Manager that MBAMService.exe is using 1,582,976 K of memory...is this normal? If not, how much memory should it take, and  what should I do to fix this? 

Malwarebytes Premium 4.0.4.49  update package version 1.0.18498  Component package version 1.0.810

Thanks!

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes for Windows Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven’t already done so, please run the Malwarebytes Support Tool and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
  3. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  4. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  5. You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"
  6. Click the Advanced tab on the left column

mbst_get_started.jpg

7. Click the Gather Logs button

mbst_advanced_gather_logs.jpg

8. A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer

mbst_getting_logs.jpg

9. Upon completion, a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be found on your Desktop. Click OK

mbst_log_saved_desktop.jpg

10. Please attach the file in your next reply. Before submitting your reply, be sure to enable "Notify me of replies" like so:

notify me.jpeg  

Click "Reveal Hidden Contents" below for details on how to attach a file:

Spoiler

To save attachments, please click the link as shown below. You can click and drag the files to this bar or you can click the choose files, then browse to where your files are located, select them and click the Open button.

mb_attach.jpg.220985d559e943927cbe3c078b

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: Find my premium license key

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

Edited by AdvancedSetup
updated links

• Staff

Greetings,

Malwarebytes can use a large amount of RAM sometimes, particularly during scans, however that does seem like it might be a bit high if no scan is running (you should also ensure that a scheduled scan isn't running in the background as that could also be the source of the issue).  If everything checks out and no scans are running when this occurs, please do the following so that we may take a closer look at your system and configuration to try and determine the cause:

1. Download and run the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Accept the EULA and click Advanced tab on the left (not Start Repair)
  3. Click the Gather Logs button, and once it completes, attach the zip file it creates on your desktop to your next reply

Thanks

• Staff

If you aren't able to locate it please try restarting your system and seeing if the tool will run and create the logs, and if it still fails then please try running it from Safe Mode with Networking and hopefully it will work properly from there.

Please let us know how it goes, and if you are able, please provide the ZIP folder from the tool.

Thanks

This has happened to me before, when I used to run the frst and zip logs manually, my system would not put them on the desktop(rights issues?, display all files not set right?), and I would find them on my C drive...but I can't remember where on C. Search still running...... 

• Staff

Odd, perhaps they are in a temp directory somewhere?  I believe that's where Microsoft reroutes files in Windows when permissions prevent writing to some of the system default locations.  It might be in your AppData folder somewhere for your user account or perhaps somewhere under the 'Public' profile's data/folders.  That said, if you haven't tried Safe Mode with Networking yet, that might help as you have the ability to log in there as a full powered admin with no User Account Control since UAC is not active in Safe Mode.

• Staff

There's a lot of them.  It collects most of the data and logs generated by Malwarebytes itself along with a custom log it generates called mbst-check-results.txt along with several Windows system logs and logs generated by multiple Windows system tools.  It is possible that they were generated somewhere temporarily prior to the ZIP folder creation step so you might be able to track them down, however that still leaves a lot of logs and data out that would normally be within the ZIP file.

• Staff

Skimming the two logs you provided so far, the only thing I see that I suspect might be causing the high usage would be Nero.  It has some pretty aggressive background indexing stuff for media files that could be causing high usage in the Ransomware Protection component of Malwarebytes.  If you don't use the 'Nero Home'/media center type application that Nero installs you can try removing that and see if it makes any difference (it won't affect your ability to edit/record discs with Nero).

• Staff

I'm referring to disc data/usage, not RAM usage.  The disk activities of the Nero background processes might be resulting in the high RAM/CPU usage from Malwarebytes if their activity is triggering a lot of analysis from the Ransomware Protection component in Malwarebytes.  You can try excluding Nero's program folder using the method described under the Allow a file or folder section of Add to the Allow List in Malwarebytes for Windows v4 or temporarily disable the Ransomware Protection component in Malwarebytes to try and determine if this is the cause.

If it doesn't help then you should try disabling each component of protection in Malwarebytes one at a time to see if disabling any of those brings to RAM usage down to a more reasonable level.

You should also check your scheduled scans in Malwarebytes to make sure that it isn't some hung up scan causing the issue as that is another possibility, especially if there are permissions issues with the system preventing Malwarebytes from completing a scan.

Edited by AdvancedSetup
updated links

On 1/31/2020 at 10:19 AM, exile360 said:

I'm referring to disc data/usage, not RAM usage.  The disk activities of the Nero background processes might be resulting in the high RAM/CPU usage from Malwarebytes if their activity is triggering a lot of analysis from the Ransomware Protection component in Malwarebytes.  You can try excluding Nero's program folder using the method described under the Allow a file or folder section of Add to the Allow List in Malwarebytes for Windows v4 or temporarily disable the Ransomware Protection component in Malwarebytes to try and determine if this is the cause.

If it doesn't help then you should try disabling each component of protection in Malwarebytes one at a time to see if disabling any of those brings to RAM usage down to a more reasonable level.

You should also check your scheduled scans in Malwarebytes to make sure that it isn't some hung up scan causing the issue as that is another possibility, especially if there are permissions issues with the system preventing Malwarebytes from completing a scan.

'I'm referring to disc data/usage, not RAM usage'....you mean in Task Manager...Resource Monitor?
Just checked that...found in the Overview tab MBAMService 104 threads, CPU tab...same thing, 
memory tab...1,623,012 KB, Disk tab...total B/sec 2087, network tab...none there. 

Edited by AdvancedSetup
updated links

• Staff

It is possible that for whatever reason, be it the number of processes running in the background, the number of drivers, or something else, that Malwarebytes has the tendency of loading a large amount of RAM on your system.  On my own 7 x64 system it generally seems to use anywhere from 100,000K~500,000K, sometimes a bit more, sometimes a bit less but generally not too far outside of that, however I have seen it use different amounts on other systems so I know that the specific environment it is running in and the other active processes, drivers and services can have an impact on it.