Windows 7 can't install Malwarebytes

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi @1MitchX   

I have read this case history.  I would suggest we take a few minutes and do a different readout report, with the hope of getting more current information.

RSIT (Random's System Information Tool) 
Please download RSITx64 by random/random... save it to your desktop.

1.    Right click on RSIT.exe and select "Run As Administrator" to run it. If Windows UAC prompts you, please allow it.
2.    Please read the disclaimer... click on Continue.
3.    RSIT will start running. When done... 2 logs files...will be produced. 
The first one, "log.txt", <<will be maximized... the second one, "info.txt", <<will be minimized.
4.    Please post both... "log.txt" and "info.txt", file contents in your next reply. 
Thank you.

Maurice

@1MitchX    Can we have you get this service stack update for Windows 7   64 bit  from Microsoft Update Catalog

2020-01 Servicing Stack Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB4536952)

Download and be sure to Save first

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/DownloadDialog.aspx

then run the file to begin the install.

This is jut one step.   There will be more after this.

As we go forward,  I would like to be sure that your first "save" any download we guide you to   .....and ideally saved to the Downloads folder.

When our colleague Porthos suggested to get the Malwarebytes 4 installer, where did you save the file

mb4-setup-consumer-4.0.4.49-1.0.750-1.0.14966,exe    ?

I do not see a third-party name brand antivirus installed.  So here, there ought not to be a complication from a antivirus.

I regret you ran into hitches attempting to run the Support tool.   The reason my colleagues have advised about .Net Framework updates was so that the Support tool could run without a hiccup.

It does seem to me that there are 'some' elements of Malwarebytes in place.   And so I would like to see if we can gather some logs by other means.

Especially the setup logs from Malwarebytes.

Lets first set Windows 7 to SHOW  all folders

Open Control Panel > Appearance and Personalization. Now, click on Folder Options or File Explorer Option, as it is now called > View tab.
In this tab, under Advance Settings,

Look under Hidden files and folders, CLICK on the radio-box "Show hidden files, folders and drives"

then, also, un-tick ( set to off or blank) Hide extensions for known file types
&
un-tick Hide protected operating system files

IF & when you get prompts, reply in affirmative to allow the changes.

Click the Apply button ( at bottom)
Click the OK button ( at bottom)

Please copy the files listed below to a convenient location such as your desktop, select them all, then right-click on them and hover your mouse over Send to and select Compressed (zipped) folder and then attach the resulting ZIP file to your next reply.  These logs will provide details on what went wrong with the installation and should help to troubleshoot the issue.

C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\MBAMService\LOGS
MBAMSERVICE.LOG
mbupdatr.log

C:\Users\Kelly\AppData\Local\Temp
Setup Log 20##-##-## #00#.txt (there may be more than one of these files; if so, copy all of them)

Thanks for your patience in advance.

8 hours ago, Maurice Naggar said:

As we go forward,  I would like to be sure that your first "save" any download we guide you to   .....and ideally saved to the Downloads folder.

When our colleague Porthos suggested to get the Malwarebytes 4 installer, where did you save the file

mb4-setup-consumer-4.0.4.49-1.0.750-1.0.14966,exe    ?

Everything has been saved to the downloads file. 

9 hours ago, Maurice Naggar said:

Please copy the files listed below to a convenient location such as your desktop, select them all, then right-click on them and hover your mouse over Send to and select Compressed (zipped) folder and then attach the resulting ZIP file to your next reply.  These logs will provide details on what went wrong with the installation and should help to troubleshoot the issue.

C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\MBAMService\LOGS
MBAMSERVICE.LOG
mbupdatr.log

C:\Users\Kelly\AppData\Local\Temp
Setup Log 20##-##-## #00#.txt (there may be more than one of these files; if so, copy all of them)

Thanks for your patience in advance.

None of those files are present. Malwarebytes was removed once it was determined it did not install properly. 

I do regret both of your last 2 news bits.   by the way, tell me how you went about "uninstalling Malwarebytes" ?

Can we get you to make a fresh attempt to get and run the Malwarebytes Support tool ......just for a report.

Have lots of patience throughout   and  take your time.    no rush thru.

NOTEMicrosoft .NET 4.0 Framework is required in order to run the Support Tool on your computer. If you receive the following error while running the tool:
Image of .NET 4.0 Framework requirement to run Malwarebytes Support Tool notification. 
Click OK to open Microsoft's download page and download the latest .NET Framework components.

Do have patience while the report tool runs.  It may take several minutes.  Just let it run & take its time.  You may want to close your other open windows so that there is a clear field of view.
    Download Malwarebytes Support Tool

Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
    Double-click mb-support-1.5.3.749.exe  to run the report
        You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.

Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
    You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"
    Do NOT use the button “Start repair” !
    Click the Advanced tab on the left column

Click the Gather Logs button

A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer

Upon completion, click a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop. Click OK
    Please attach the ZIP file in your next reply.

Thank you for your patience.

Sorry to hear there is on-going hitches.

Re-reading the prior frst reports I notice one of them is "chopped"  /  missing trailing information.   Almost as if it too had a issue about completion.

Let us do a new run with FRST64,  which is already on the Downloads folder.

Run report with FRST64

Right-click on FRST64   icon and select Run as Administrator to start the tool , and reply YES to allow it to proceed and run.

_Windows 8 or 10 users will be prompted about Windows *SmartScreen protection* - click line More info information on that screen and click button Run anyway on next screen._
Click YES when prompted by Windows U A C prompt to allow it to run.
Note: If you are prompted by Windows SmartScreen, click More info & followup & choose Run anyway.

Approve the Windows UAC prompt on Windows Vista and newer operating systems by clicking on Continue or Yes. 

Click Yes when the* disclaimer* appears in FRST.
The tool may want to update itself - in that case you'll be prompted when the update is completed and ready to use.

Make sure that Addition options is *checked* - the configuration should look exactly like on the screen below (do not mark additional things unless asked).
Press Scan button and wait.

The tool will produce 2  logfiles on your desktop: FRST.txt , Addition.txt 
Click OK button when it shows up. Close the Notepad windows when they show on screen. The tool saves the files.

Please attach these 2 files to your next reply.

[    2    ]

Download   Farbar's Service Scanner utility
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/farbar-service-scanner/dl/62/
and Save to your Desktop.
Right-Click on fss.exe and select Run As Admisnitrator.

Answer Yes to ok when prompted.
If your firewall then puts out a prompt, again, allow it to run.
Once FSS is on-screen, be sure the following items are checkmarked:
Internet Services
Windows Firewall
System Restore
Security Center/Action Center
Windows Update
Windows Defender
Other services

Click on "Scan".
It will create a log (FSS.txt) in the same directory the tool is run.
Copy & Paste contents of FSS.txt into your reply. 

[    3   ]

Please download MiniToolBox save it to your desktop and run it. 

Reply YES when prompted by Windows to Allow the program to run.
Reply YES when prompted by the tool to proceed.

Checkmark the following check-boxes:

List content of Hosts
List IP configuration
List Winsock Entries
List last 10 Event Viewer log
List Installed Programs
List Devices
List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
List Minidump Files

Click Go and when all done,  attach the result ( MTB.txt ). A copy of MTB.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run. 

Thank you.

Hi.

Thank you so much for those reports.   I will be making another reply later on.

At this point

I would like to have you do a few command line runs in a Windows Elevated Command prompt.    ( a Command prompt with administrator-level rights ).

Open the Start Menu, type cmd in the search box, right click on cmd.exe (at top), and click on Run as administrator. (see screenshot below)

Elevated Command Prompt-search_box.jpg

This should cause a black Command prompt  ( with administrator rights) to show.  I would like you to COPY   each command line  ( one at a time)  from here and then PASTE  into the black-command-prompt  and then tap Enter-key  and allow them to proceed.   And then monitor  and also write down the bottom line result-summary-displayed for each

net start trustedinstaller

net start winmgmt

Close the command prompt window.

Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for that.  Thank you for your patience.

While at present the Malwarebytes for Windows is not installed,  I noticed a couple of its drivers present, as well as what seems to be a trace of the support-tool open.

Going forward & unless something changes, we want to stay away from the Malwarebytes support tool.

On the Downloads folder, there is a installer file for Malwarebytes that we can use  ( later )  for installation.

What I have here, at present, is a batch custom script to do some cleanups, some inquiries on services, and also to attempt a couple of runs of the Windows System File Checker tool.

Please Close and Save any open work you may have open.

Please close as many un-needed app-windows that you yourself may have open at this point.   So you can have a clear field of view.

P.S.   Delete any prior saved copy of Fixlist.txt   ( from before )

This custom script is for  1MitchX   only.

Close and save any open work files before starting this procedure. 

Please Close and save any open work files before you start this next step.  It may involve a Windows Restart at the end of it.

I am sending a   custom Fix script which is going to be used by the FRST64 tool. They will both work together as a pair.

Please RIGHT-click the (attached file named) FIXLIST and select SAVE  link AS and save it directly ( as is) to the  DOWNLOADS  folder

The tool named FRST64.exe   tool    is already on the Downloads folder

Start the Windows Explorer and then, to the Desktop.

Double click FRST64

to run the tool. If the tool warns you the version is outdated, please download and run the updated version.

IF Windows prompts you about running this, select YES to allow it to proceed.

IF you get a block message from Windows about this tool......

click line More info information on that screen

and click button Run anyway on next screen.

on the FRST window:
Click the Fix button just once, and wait.

FRST_Fixl.png.c4c1c0dddcc49b11fa400590f070bd5e.png

PLEASE have lots and lots of patience when this starts. You will see a green progress bar start. Lots of patience. This run here should be fairly quick.
If you receive a message that a reboot is required, please make sure you allow it to restart normally.
The tool will complete its run after restart.
When finished, the tool will make a log ( Fixlog.txt) in the same location from where it was run.

Please attach the FIXLOG.txt with your next reply later, at your next opportunity   

We will do more afterwards.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Maurice

Fixlist.txt

Edited by Maurice Naggar
added note