RTProtectionDaemon uses more memory day by day

I purchased Malwarebytes for my Mac.  After a week of use, I noted that RTProtectionDaemon was using 10 GB of memory.  I killed the process, removed Malwarebytes, re-installed the program and have been monitoring it.  The first 2 days, RTProtectionDaemon was a little over 200 MB, then it jumped to 319MB.  Now after a few more days it is using 519 MB.  That seems like quite a bit of my memory being used by that task, and it seems to be growing.  Certainly better than the 10 GB originally used, but still quite a bit.  Any tips regarding this, or should I dump this program? 

I haven't been monitoring memory use, so can't comment explicitly, but since new malware definitions are added almost daily, it doesn't surprise me that memory usage grows over time since these definitions need to be memory resident in order for Real-Time Protection can rapidly do it's thing. That said, your numbers do appear to be high, especially that 10GB number. Mines is currently at 93.6MB after a few days of continuous up-time.

Recommend you submit a system report created with the help of below article (please don't post the zip file here).
https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-3235
Instead, log a support ticket with help of below link and attach the file with the email
https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/contactsupport/pages/home-support

I will log a ticket a little later when I have more time.  For now, a little more data:  Yesterday, I rebooted my Mac (something I don't do often).  The memory use of that task was then 118MB after the restart.  This morning, it has climbed to 221MB. Sure seems like a memory leak to me.

I haven't been monitoring memory use either but on my Mac it increases every time I do a scan also but not as bad as what @raylist results.

At boot up today: 63.9 MB

After 1 scan: 81.2 MB

After 2nd scan: 109.5 MB

After 3rd scan: 127.6 MB

Maybe that's normal???

I opened the ticket.  I also created the log file, but I'm reviewing that before I send it.  It seems like a LOT of data (27.2MB) and even includes the Mac system install log back to October of last year.  I'm leaning toward not sending this and just eating what I paid for MWB and removing it from my computer.  It seems to me I might be safer that way then sending all this data 'who knows where'.  Keeping my data contained is why I bought MWB in the first place.  I spent my career as a programmer working for banks, so maybe I'm overly sensitive to where data goes.  As an old Mainframe guy, I have my own little "OmegaMon" here (mainframe techs will know what that is) in the form of "iStat Menus" by which the state of my machine in many aspects is easy to monitor.  I have to think long and hard about this zip file.  I see that @Popeye has replicated the issue, but with smaller numbers.  I'm running MacOS Catalina 10.15.2 on a Mac Book Pro with 16GB of memory.  At boot, RTProtectDaemon starts with 122MB.  It gains close to 100MB with every scan, with no end in sight.  

I can back the staff on saying the data included in that file is absolutely necessary to fully diagnose a variety of issues that may occur with the installation and operation of the software. It is no more than what is contained in similar diagnostic files that all the other anti-malware software I'm familiar with collect. 

You should also familiarize your self with the Malwarebytes Privacy Policy which will tell you exactly where all that data goes and doesn't go.

The company itself has been around for about sixteen years and I've never heard a report of any person's data leaking out to anybody.

• Staff
On 1/15/2020 at 3:35 PM, raylist said:

I also created the log file, but I'm reviewing that before I send it.  It seems like a LOT of data (27.2MB) and even includes the Mac system install log back to October of last year.  I'm leaning toward not sending this

Obviously, the choice is yours, but if I can set your mind at ease a bit, I'd like to do so.

First and foremost, I want you to be aware that any data you send to support is between you and us, and is used only for support purposes. It will never be shared with anyone else, and we absolutely do not sell customer data or otherwise share it with third parties.

I'm aware that some of the data collected by our MBST tool is potentially sensitive, but none of it should be terribly sensitive. Still, I can't make any guarantees about what data is output to your system logs. However, we really do need that data to help troubleshoot. We probably don't need all of it, but it's impossible to know in advance what data may be needed, and the data that tool collects does a pretty good job of covering most cases, without lengthy back-and-forth requests for additional information in most cases.

In this case, we're seeing a very small number of people with this issue, but we don't yet understand why. By providing that data, you can help us to understand why, and that helps us to help you better. If you decide you don't want help, that is, of course, your choice

I thought I'd do an update to this issue, since progress has been made.  Working with Malwarebytes tech support, it was found that /safari/Extentions still had extensions present even through they are not used under MacOS Catalina, and that was causing some issues.  I deleted the contents of that folder.  Now, when the machine starts up at boot time, the RTProtectionDaemon only uses 47MB.  Also, with each scan, the Daemon gains about 19MB more (which it should not do).  I've provided more detailed logs to tech support to help diagnose this issue.  Here are the MB usages of the Daemon both before and after this change, from boot time and then following each batch scan:

Before:  120,   215,   314,   418,   519

After:     68,    84,     103,   126,   142

So, as is evident, there is great improvement, and I thank Malwarebytes Tech Support for their work.  There is still more work to do, since this task should not grow at all with each scan.

• 1 month later...

No, what he meant was that if you have any Safari Extensions that you don’t recognize, remove them and Malwarebytes doesn’t have an extension for Safari.

If that doesn’t fix things, give us a list of the extensions that are still there that you do recognize in cases one of them is causing the issue.

If you are running MacOS Catalina, your Safari does not use any of the extensions.  Evidently when upgrading to Catalina it just leaves all the extensions that the OLD Safari was using in place and does not delete them (at least my upgrade worked that way).  If you are running Catalina, try going to the Safari preferences and select Extensions - you can't since the version of  Safari installed with Catalina does not use them.  I deleted ALL the items in the extension folder (actually, I deleted the entire folder) and that fixed the GB memory usage that I was experiencing.  I still have the issue where every time a scan runs, the RTProtectionDaemon gains about 20MB in size and never goes down without a reboot.  However, I do not not see the 10GB usage that was occurring.

2 hours ago, raylist said:

I deleted ALL the items in the extension folder (actually, I deleted the entire folder) and that fixed the GB memory usage that I was experiencing.

I did the same. No increase in memory usage anymore with each scan. Stays around 57MB now after every scan.