macrium reflect

hello2007

• 2 weeks later...

Exile on the ball again - Beat me by 1 min - :D

According to the article in Wiki it claims to ensure 'point in time' accuracy - So you would most likely need to check for updated drivers if you set it a while ago and used it to restore - I only scanned the article so the Wiki as well as Exiles item may be worth browsing - :D

thanks, i got 1 more basic question. Can i create a image of 1 computer and apply it on another computer?

because i just got a laptop recently and dont want to download every software that i have on my desktop

That would be a bad idea, and would likely cause problems if they aren't the same manufacturer and model #, plus the Windows keys wouldn't match, and possibly even the Windows versions, which would cause activation/update issues due to MS's requirement for validation and online activation. It could also cause problems (and likely wouldn't boot) due to different drivers. Your best bet for migrating software is to grab the license keys from the registry and grab the installers for the software to install on your other PC. Macrium can be used to migrate your data though, instead of the entire active OS and installed programs.

I'm starting to think along Exiles line - :D The other computer may only have a small change (video card / even keyboard) may cause a conflict -

The articles all refered to the restoration of one computer -

Edit

This would be More applicable to the fact that you are using 2 totally unrelated systems -

It seems more like 'system restore' on a larger basis if there is a big drama -

Precisely, technology like this (which is similar to tools like Norton Ghost) is designed for restoring a system to a previous state in the event of a hard drive failure, an infection or any other such issue with the system's installation, not for migrating data. Macrium can migrate data and does have the tools to do it, but imaging the entire drive to restore on a different computer isn't what it's designed to do.

That would be a bad idea, and would likely cause problems if they aren't the same manufacturer and model #, plus the Windows keys wouldn't match, and possibly even the Windows versions, which would cause activation/update issues due to MS's requirement for validation and online activation. It could also cause problems (and likely wouldn't boot) due to different drivers. Your best bet for migrating software is to grab the license keys from the registry and grab the installers for the software to install on your other PC. Macrium can be used to migrate your data though, instead of the entire active OS and installed programs.

exile what about this would this do what im asking for http://www.paragon-software.com/home/vm-pe...l/features.html

its free today on giveawayoftheday if anyone is interested

Well according to this it might

Recover the OS startup ability after system migration to a different hardware platform.
But I'd be cautious with something like that. Truthfully though, I can't understand why someone would want to migrate an installed system to another. A fresh clean install runs faster, is less cluttered, and you get to choose which software you actually want to reload on the system, which is especially handy if you've installed and uninstalled older versions on the previous system which often leave tons of file and registry traces behind that just waste space. Like I said, I'd go for my data files (pictures, videos, music etc), grab the installers for the software I wish to migrate along with the CD keys and license info for them and reload everything fresh. There are even tools you can use to grab the keys to installed software if you no longer have it written down so you can save it to a text file to use when you reinstall.

Also, if your new laptop came with Vista, it's likely that there may not be XP drivers for it, as some new hardware doesn't have XP drivers, especially some of the proprietary stuff they put into laptops.

thanks, i got 1 more basic question. Can i create a image of 1 computer and apply it on another computer?

because i just got a laptop recently and dont want to download every software that i have on my desktop

No, not really, the motherboard will most likely be a different one and you therefore

won't have the drivers for the various components.

Exile on the ball again - Beat me by 1 min - :)

According to the article in Wiki it claims to ensure 'point in time' accuracy - So you would most likely need to check for updated drivers if you set it a while ago and used it to restore - I only scanned the article so the Wiki as well as Exiles item may be worth browsing - :)

exile360 has pretty much covered what would happen if you did this. The only way you can ghost a computer and put it on another is if they are exactly the same model number. Then once you do that you would have to run a tool like ghstwalk (part of ghost) to change the the computer name (which in turn changes the SID) so that it would not conflict the the other computer if they are on the same network.

I agree with the others in that a clean install is always better whenever possible. There are times, however, when you cannot do this. I have been able to do this several times on production equipment successfully by using Acronis True Image Workstation universal restore. It is actually quite simple. You download all of the drivers, chipset drivers, SCSI drivers, etc for the new machine and extract them them to folders on your hard drive. When you image the new drive, it allows you to add any drivers that you need to the image. It has worked very well for me.

Brad