AntimalwarePro

Hi folks;

I'm a brand new member here and I have a couple of questions. First of all I should tell you that I bought AntiMalwarePro :) and find out later that it is apparently a bogus or fake piece of software, accoring to a lot of Internet sites and forums.

My question is, how does one know when he's getting the right software? I see by this forum that this Malwarebytes' AntiMalware software is supposed to be quite good. My other question is this. If it works so well free and it did (it removed some trojans and other suspected malware from my machine, why should I pay for it id it is offered free of charge.

Thank you all for any help you can offer. Most appreciated.

Bud M.

• Staff
Hi folks;

I'm a brand new member here and I have a couple of questions. First of all I should tell you that I bought AntiMalwarePro :) and find out later that it is apparently a bogus or fake piece of software, accoring to a lot of Internet sites and forums.

My question is, how does one know when he's getting the right software? I see by this forum that this Malwarebytes' AntiMalware software is supposed to be quite good. My other question is this. If it works so well free and it did (it removed some trojans and other suspected malware from my machine, why should I pay for it id it is offered free of charge.

Thank you all for any help you can offer. Most appreciated.

Bud M.

Welcome to the forums.

this link below generates some of our 'official' download sites, not malwarebytes.org:

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam-download.php

The issue usually is the completely confusing way download sites work by placing large ads to confuse users. I tell all users in support:

Pay close attention to the actual download link. Many download sites have big giant sponsored ads from other vendors of other types of software which may confuse you. That's how they make money, by placing these ads prominently so you see them first.

Ignore all 'Recommended' or 'Sponsored' downloads, these will be the ads.

Yes, it is the real Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. The difference between the free and paid verson of MBAM is this:

The free version can be used as an on-demand scanner. Meaning, you have to start the scan yourself whenever you want. You also have to manually update the database by clicking the update button or setting up an advanced task in task scheduler to do it.

The paid version offers real-time protection which always monitors your system for malicious programs that might be executed. The paid version also allows you to setup a scheduled time for scans and updates through the program's GUI and the newest feature that was introduced in version 1.40 is IP protection. IP protection protects you from malicious IPs that may be visited through your web browser.

[iNFO] IP Protection

Hello & Welcome to MBAM Forum.

Your ? is good.

Answer for your 1st ? :

First & foremost you should know the full & correct name of the software.

For this ask sombody who is using that particular soft.

Go to the homepage (again ask somebody or get it from reputed mags., I don't advise you to google as it will mislead you).

In the homepage you will find the download link na? Download it from that link. At times it will take you to someother-

download sites. Don't worry. They will be officially appd. sites. But before downloading be careful not to click on any ads.

Answer for your 2nd? :

Activating the full version unlocks realtime protection, scheduled scanning, and scheduled updating.

Are you satisfied now?

See so many members are guiding you.

Yes, thank you, I am very satisfied and you both have answered my concerns. I really appreciate you taking the time to help a newcomer to this type of software and explain the differences. It's a very difficlut task to determine who's truthful out there and who isn't. Unfortunately many people are easliy confused and duped.

Since I always appreciate, and support good software, and based on what you've told me here, I've purchased it and entered the ID and Key. I now have a fully automated version.

Thanks again for your outstanding help folks

Bud M.

Are you satisfied now?

See so many members are guiding you.

Please preserve the key#.

If you got it by mail better take a printout (hardcopy) & keep it in a safe place.

Yes most of us are confused because we don't know the correct name of the software & also the softs. name & the company name will be different mostly.

eg: Alwil Software - The company specializes in security software, with Avast antivirus being the flagship product line.

@ BudM

First of all, I second Porthos:

You need to contact your credit card company asap (or debit card, although I hope you didn't use one) and have your account canceled or at least have the account number, expiration date, and security code on the back changed.

Second,

As for if something is a legitimate program, if you are EVER in doubt, Google the name, and see what kind of search results come up. Don't click on the sites though, unless you truly feel that they are safe. If you see results that say things like, how do I remove [name here] then its more likely than not a rogue/fake antivirus rogue/fake antimalware program. Also, these rogues generally pop up on your screen without your consent, do a fake scan and come up with a bunch of "results" that are made up or are actually viruses and malware caused by the program itself. It will then ask you to purchase the program in order to remove the results.

Now that you are a member of the forum here, if you are in doubt and can't figure it out on your own, just feel free to post here the name of the program in question and someone will help you determine whether or not it is a legitimate program.

The difference between the paid version of Malwarebytes and the free version is that the paid version provides realtime protection against threats, malicious IP blocking, and also scheduled scans an updates, whereas the free version you need to manually update and manually scan with it, and it does not provide realtime protection. The free version is fully functional and will NEVER ask you to purchase it in order to remove threats.

Malwarebytes is 100% completely safe and legit. I used the free version for several months and then I purchased the paid version a few months ago. I am very happy with the product and I tell everyone that I can about it, and I plan to buy it for a few other people who are unable to afford it themselves in the near future :) You can get it at Download.com and

MajorGeeks. http://majorgeeks.com/Malwarebytes_Anti-Malware_d5756.html

:)

Also, it would be worth it to do a quick scan with Malwarebytes, see if it finds anything, let it delete anything it finds, reboot if it asks (VERY important!), and rescan to ensure its not found again. If you are concerned that something might still be lingering on your system (and there may or may not be), please see here: http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=9573 read everything entirely!! :)