Spybot error

chimpy

I was updating spybot for the first time in probably a month when after the normal update a small black screen popped up then left before I had a chance to take a look and then I got this error sb2.jpg

I clicked abort as what ever it was doing I can just retry and I know it is read only so would it put it back to read only after it had done what it wanted to?

I do not know, I always use the global one, I looked on the forum and found others that had the problem http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=51880

But no one explains whether the update was installed correctly or if the file reverts back to "read only" after you hit the "retry" button, so I have posted there for clarification as I really only use SB to maintain the hosts file.

At the bottom of the page noted in your thread there is a "next (page?)" that leads to further comment and I think includes these comments -

I will go back to double check - The thread continues for a bit so I read on for a page or 2 -

Sorry it is in a link from Spybot Sandra on the second or third page that heads to "Matt" -

I got the same screen on all three of my computers (during an update) maybe a week ago. I just clicked retry and went my merry way as I figured I'd get the message again if it failed. The program still seems to work fine. I just checked the file. It shows as being modified on 9/07/2009 which sounds about right for timing. It's a normally hidden system file so you may have to change your folder view settings to see it.

PS - The revised file does show as read only.

Hmm I checked the date last modified and it was 20/08/09 so although SB says it updated the hosts does not seem to reflect this, also I use SpywareBlaster and that updated a few days ago and that does not seem to be mentioned in the host either.

Edit

I forgot to immunize :P it now states it was modified on the 17/9/09, Though created in 18/07/09 which is strange as I have had spybot for nearly two years and only got SWB on the 15/07/09.

Still no mention of SWB in the file though so maybe that is held else where.

I wonder if I will get the message back and if not I wonder if I have damaged SB by aborting it.

Spybot's files are marked as read-only (and some are marked as System and Hidden as well :P ) to prevent malware from altering or deleting them. This message is normal and you should click Retry so that Spybot's updater can update the files.

Thanks, I just hope the message comes back other wise I have to uninstall it and DL it again, If I do have to do that what happens to the host file? Does it leave the ones its written in there already or is it wiped of its entrys?

They are saying that the update was really only to correct a error some people where having and even though my dll is behind others (because I clicked abort) its still up to date because I never had the error... hmmm... I will still have to wait till the next update to see what happens :P

Guest johnswhite

With what you have done and the protection you have that should not have occurred from my point of view. The only item I can see you may like to install is RegProt (Registry Protector) I have used NAV and found it to be a resource HOG and some what behind in their updates or not really up-to-date. I have used Trendmicro PC-Cillin and found that one to be about the same, their updates are behind others. Have used several other AV scanners and have stopped changing since going with AntiVir Personal Edition FREE v6.32.xx.xx/w daily and sometimes more often updates. Just finished