Installing for the first time

Hello everyone!

My name is Alex, I am new to this forum. I have just installed Malwarebytes Premium and would like advice on setting it up. I run Windows 10 and have only used Windows Defender. I noticed Windows Defender is still running, is this OK? Also, I use Office 365 Outlook for 2 of my email accounts and Mail from Windows 10 app store, does Malwarebytes scan outgoing and incoming mail automatically? Are there any other general recommendations? I use Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox and have the Windows Firewall at its default settings for Home. 

I did ran a full system scan, and Malwarebytes found an adware exe in the recycle bin. I quarantined and deleted immediately.

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes 3 Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven’t already done so, please run the Malwarebytes Support Tool and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
  3. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  4. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  5. You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"
  6. Click the Advanced tab
    Repair menu_arrows.png

7. Click the Gather Logs button
    Advanced_arrows.png

8. A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer
    Advanced Gather Logs_arrows.png

9. Upon completion, click a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop. Click OK
    Advanced Gather Logs completed_arrows.png

10. Please attach the file in your next reply. Before submitting your reply, be sure to enable "Notify me of replies" like so:
     notify me.jpeg  

Click "Reveal Hidden Contents" below for details on how to attach a file:

Spoiler

To save attachments, please click the link as shown below. You can click and drag the files to this bar or you can click the choose files, then browse to where your files are located, select them and click the Open button.

mb_attach.jpg.220985d559e943927cbe3c078b

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

12 minutes ago, alex_mun said:

does Malwarebytes scan outgoing and incoming mail automatically?

No

12 minutes ago, alex_mun said:

I noticed Windows Defender is still running, is this OK?

That is ok and a good thing.

6 minutes ago, alex_mun said:

Sorry for posting in the wrong place.

You are in the correct section.

You might also want to look at the Malwarebytes browser add-ons.

They can block some ads and clickbait as well as malicious websites, tech support scams and so on.

They are available for both Chrome and Firefox, look in the 'beta' sub-forum here or in your browsers add-ons menu.

@Porthos Thank you for the info! I disabled Windows Defender Real Time Protection and allowed it to scan periodically. Also, I read the post on your signature and added all mbam files and folder to Windows Defender exceptions list. They were on the system folder not sysnative, but I found them! 

@nukecad I installed the Malwarebytes add-on for Chrome and it works great! I had no idea it existed! I guess I am ready to go. Thank you!

I use my computer all day but I don't remember when was the last time I got a virus; I am very careful not to click on anything suspicious. I wanted Malwarebytes as an extra layer on top of Windows Defender but I realized I don't really need 2 real-time scanners. Also, Windows won't let me activate Windows Defender again, so that settles it. 

Thanks for all the support.

3 hours ago, alex_mun said:

I disabled Windows Defender Real Time Protection and allowed it to scan periodically. Also, I read the post on your signature and added all mbam files and folder to Windows Defender exceptions list.

😞You can and should use them both........ In my opinion, you are safer with both ON. To fix what you did, Open Malwarebytes and choose this option below then restart and depending on how you "disabled" Defender it Will reactivate itself. 

never register MB.png

Greetings,

All you need to do is download the free trial version for your device and then activate it with your license.  You can create an account at My.Malwarebytes.com to view and manage your licenses and devices.  You can learn more by reviewing the information in this support article as well as this support article and if you ever need to deactivate the product on one of your devices to move it to a new one, please refer to the information in this support article.

If there is anything else we might assist you with please don't hesitate to let us know.

Thanks