Another system freezing with latest update - 7x64

13 hours ago, robhab said:

...However I do allow MSE updates... and the freezes on my system started after the MSE virus definitions were updated...

I don't have MSE, but I run and update Windows Defender: 

Client Version:  6.1.7600.16385
Engine Version: 1.1.15500.2
Antispyware definitions: 1.283.1474.0

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In a spirit of adding as much information as possible. One of my affected Dell Laptops which I use less often ( I start up every 3-4 days or so) has just frozen again within a few minutes of startup. This is only the 3rd time this particular PC has frozen but each time it is within a relatively short time of startup which would suggest to me it is something within the software updating process that causes a conflict to occur. An almost identical Dell PC with the same software Win 7 32, Avast Free, MBAM Prem which I use daily and which has frozen several times is less likely to freeze within a short time of startup ie it is much more random, presumably because the software is already more up to date. I have not had a freeze since deactivating web protection on this particular PC.

On 12/29/2018 at 4:41 PM, dcollins said:

We're basing this on number of reported cases versus the number of users on the latest version of Malwarebytes

Well, this issue began just as the holidays rolled in, so you'll be seeing many more complaints as people return to work this week. 

This should be obvious.  That said, I do appreciate that you have responded and acknowledged us 'night owls' during the holiday.

If you are experiencing this issue, can you please try the following:

1. Remove Malwarebytes 3
  2. Install the Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Beta
  3. Use your computer as normal for awhile and see if the freeze happens again

Please respond to let us know if the freeze does/doesn't happen so we can rule out these changes. While we've gotten reports that disabling Web Protection solves the issue, current logs are pointing to Anti-Exploit potentially being part of the problem as well.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for sharing your feedback with us! We're working hard towards finding a solution for this issue.

It'd be very helpful if the following instructions could be carried out on machines exhibiting the freeze/lock up. This will provide data on the state of the processes running up until the system freeze and help us track down the source of the issue.

• Please download PSList.zip using the link below.
    https://malwarebytes.box.com/shared/static/jrbrzr4rpbu4rlstl4abq0ghglg24hov.zip
  • Open your Downloads folder. Right-click 3YDDDvL.png PSList.zip and click Extract All.... Ensure Show extracted files when complete is checked and click Extract.
  • A folder will open. Open the PSList folder inside. Right-click CX41PDv.png PSList64.bat (use PSList.bat if you are running 32-bit Windows) and click AVOiBNU.jpg Run as administrator.
  • Note: If you are prompted by Windows SmartScreen, click More info followed by Run anyway.
  • A black console window will appear. Each second, a new text file will be written to the extracted PSList folder. 
  • Please leave the console window open and wait for the machine to freeze/lock up.
  • Once the machine has locked up, force a restart.
  • After the machine has restarted, right-click the extracted PSList folder and click Send to followed by Compressed (Zipped) folder.
  • Name the Zip file PSList-Output. Please attach PSList-Output.zip to a forum post.

11 hours ago, Mark_L said:

Here you go, didn't take long

PSList-Output.zip

Thanks Mark_L. Unfortunately, the generated output is empty. Was the batch file run locally or from a remote system?

If it was run from a remote system, would it be possible to run it locally on the affected machine?
If it was run locally, what happens when you do the following?

• Open the extracted PSList folder containing the pslist64.exe.
  • Click inside the address bar at the top of Windows Explorer and replace the folder path with "cmd". Press Enter.
  • A Command Prompt window will open.
  • Type pslist64.exe and press Enter. Do you see output in the Command Prompt window listing the various running processes on the machine?

7 minutes ago, LiquidTension said:

Thanks Mark_L. Unfortunately, the generated output is empty. Was the batch file run locally or from a remote system?

If it was run from a remote system, would it be possible to run it locally on the affected machine?
If it was run locally, what happens when you do the following?

• Open the extracted PSList folder containing the pslist64.exe.
  • Click inside the address bar at the top of Windows Explorer and replace the folder path with "cmd". Press Enter.
  • A Command Prompt window will open.
  • Type pslist64.exe and press Enter. Do you see output in the Command Prompt window listing the various running processes on the machine?

Did that  - attached is the screen shot of the output.

PSList.JPG

Great, thanks for confirming! This explains why the output files were empty.

Would it be possible to carry out the earlier instructions once more please? This time ensure the PSList.bat file is run (not PSList64.bat).

• Please download PSList.zip using the link below.
    https://malwarebytes.box.com/shared/static/jrbrzr4rpbu4rlstl4abq0ghglg24hov.zip
  • Open your Downloads folder. Right-click 3YDDDvL.png PSList.zip and click Extract All.... Ensure Show extracted files when complete is checked and click Extract.
  • A folder will open. Open the PSList folder inside. Right-click CX41PDv.png PSList.bat and click AVOiBNU.jpg Run as administrator.
  • Note: If you are prompted by Windows SmartScreen, click More info followed by Run anyway.
  • A black console window will appear. Each second, a new text file will be written to the extracted PSList folder. 
  • Please leave the console window open and wait for the machine to freeze/lock up.
  • Once the machine has locked up, force a restart.
  • After the machine has restarted, right-click the extracted PSList folder and click Send to followed by Compressed (Zipped) folder.
  • Name the Zip file PSList-Output. Please attach PSList-Output.zip to a forum post.

Your help with this issue is greatly appreciated.

To anyone experiencing the freeze/lock up issue on Windows 7 - it would be a great help if you could provide the following information:

What network adapters are present on the affected machine? 

• Press the Windows Key + R on your keyboard at the same time. Type devmgmt.msc and click OK.
  • Expand Network adapters.

Is the KB4471318 Windows Update installed on the affected machine?

• Press the Windows Key + R on your keyboard at the same time. Type cmd and click OK.
  • Copy systeminfo | findstr KB4471318 and paste (right-click the window + Paste) into the Command Prompt window.
  • Press Enter.
  • If KB4471318 is printed back to the line below, the update is installed. If the line below is empty, the update is not installed.

For those willing, it would helpful to identify/rule out KB4471318 as the culprit by temporarily uninstalling the update from the machine. Instructions on how to so can be found below. Please let us know if this has any impact on the freezing/lock ups. Thank you!

• Click the Windows Start 29Fou9c.jpg button. Type CMD in the search bar, right-click CMD and click AVOiBNU.jpg Run as administrator.
  • Copy and paste (right-click the Window + Paste) the following into the Command Prompt. Press Enter on your keyboard.

wusa /uninstall /KB:4471318

• A Windows Update Standalone Installer window will appear and search for the update. You will either receive a message that states the update is not installed or be prompted to uninstall the update. If prompted to uninstall, please do so. When prompted to restart, please consent.
  • After the restart, please monitor the computer and check if you continue to experience the freezing/lock ups.

LiquidTension:

Below is my hardware info.  I do have a CAVEAT with regard to MS updates on my systems,  I remove & defer numerous updates due to MS 'telemetry', snooping, MS pushing Win-10 upgrades, and other annoying behavior from Redmond since 2015.  Therefore, the most recent updates for the system below end at: KB315xxxx.

Dell Precision T3610  (Xeon e5-1620 v2) + Windows 7.1 Enterprise

Net Adapter: Intel 82579LM  (integrated)

KB4471318 is NOT installed 

image.png.55acee60b82f3322361e79fac0ae5479.png

image.png.b2d05fea973c024f8daa8c552f4e2293.png

I am still running script with PCList. Interestingly enough I had no freeze and I am on output5300.txt... I will run the script for one more night. Then I will reboot and try  try to see freeze without script running. May be my next step will be uninstall KB4471318. BTW the system freezes started before  12/20/18. May be MS re issue this patch later?