One more layer of security (Suggestion: Privacy)

Nazareno

I have seen other security products which will alert the user whenever a process attempts to access the microphone or webcam as well as whenever the webcam is turned on (unfortunately they can't really do the same for mics since they are always on by default, though I have mine disabled along with the webcam via hardware and Device Manager).

I will pass these suggestions on to the team, however I have requested all of these items in the past and they were never developed so I'm not too confident that they would be now unless they see things differently now than they did then.

Doing something like that could seriously break compatibility with other software and devices and would be extremely tricky to implement for custom setups such as the built-in webcams in laptops.  Anything that a security tool would do to secure these devices would need to go through the standard Windows APIs and controls for monitoring and using these devices, otherwise there's a very high risk of not only breaking their basic functionality, but also putting system stability at risk (i.e. BSODs etc.).

My AV solution (Kaspersky Total Security) has Webcam Protection. Don't have/want/need a cam at this point anyway.

Couldn't find anything about microphones (which I do use all the time), but Kaspersky does note when an app is allowed to access audio stream.

Maybe only plug in your devices when in use, or has been suggested, disable in device manager.

HTH,

-Ike

webcam 001a.jpg

C'mon guys. 

All you need is the sticky part of a Post-It sticky note paper and if the Webcam is external, unplug it.  Or put it on a powered USB hub which is in-turn on a power switch.

BTW:  Some vendors who embed Webcams do have a mechanical shutters in their platform.

HINT:  Worry about smart TV sets that have a camera !!!

32 minutes ago, David H. Lipman said:

Malwarebytes DOES provide webcam protection.  However it is a paid-for hardware device and it is not based upon software.

Hide contents

Image2.thumb.JPG.75517b46d0d52e0a401e7bba3694d3f9.JPG

Image1.thumb.JPG.f123ded3f58529e65e17b9c13aaf294f.JPG

Oh yeah, I totally forgot about those, thanks David :) !

I need to get me one for my lappy.  Been using a folded up mini envelope that wraps over the top to cover it (though I also have it disabled in hardware and the Device Manager, thanks to that being a built-in function in all Eurocom laptops (and likely all Clevo laptops in general, I'm guessing)).

21 minutes ago, David H. Lipman said:

C'mon guys. 

All you need is the sticky part of a Post-It sticky note paper and if the Webcam is external, unplug it.  Or put it on a powered USB hub which is in-turn on a power switch.

BTW:  Some vendors who embed Webcams do have a mechanical shutters in their platform.

HINT:  Worry about smart TV sets that have a camera !!!

But I want to buy the actual Malwarebytes shutter. Assuming it's official merchandise, of course.