Windows 7 Virus Freezes Screen

Hi,

I have a Dell Inspiron desktop running on Windows 7. This computer has had a virus for a while. Recently, it has been freezing the computer 4/5 of the time I use it, causing flashing horizontal lines to appear. Sometimes it causes the screen to turn black, causing the hard drive to make a beeping noise. I have run Malwarebytes, Bitdefender, Microsoft Security Essentials, and Windows Defender Offline to help solve this problem, and although they have removed many infected files, the malware is still here. I have no backups on this computer from before the virus, and I have lost the Windows 7 installation disc that came with the computer. Also, I would like to note that the virus sometimes freezes the computer in startup and in safe mode. The virus also sometimes prevents the computer from starting up. I have attached my malwarebytes and FRST scan results below. Any support or help would be appreciated. Thanks!

malwarebytes log jul 22 2018.txt

FRST.txt

Addition.txt

• Root Admin

Hello @AlexComputerPerson

Let me have you run the following please.

Please visit this web page and read the ComboFix User's Guide:

• Once you've read the article and are ready to use the program you can download it directly from the link below.
  • Important! - Please make sure you save combofix to your desktop and do not run it from your browser
  • Direct download link for: ComboFix.exe
  • Please make sure you disable your security applications before running ComboFix.
  • Once Combofix has completed it will produce and open a log file.  Please be patient as it can take some time to load.
  • Please attach that log file to your next reply.
  • If needed the file can be located here:  C:\combofix.txt
  • NOTE: If you receive the message "illegal operation has been attempted on a registry key that has been marked for deletion", just reboot the computer.

Thanks

Ron

• Root Admin

Let me have you fully disable Bitdefender Antivirus Free Antimalware and run this scanner

--RogueKiller--

• Download & SAVE to your Desktop Download RogueKiller
  • Quit all programs that you may have started.
  • Please disconnect any USB or external drives from the computer before you run this scan!
  • For Vista or above, right-click the program file and select "Run as Administrator"
  • Accept the user agreements.
  • Execute the scan and wait until it has finished.
  • If a Windows opens to explain what [PUM's] are, read about it.
  • Click the RoguKiller icon on your taksbar to return to the report.
  • Click open the Report
  • Click Export TXT button
  • Save the file as ReportRogue.txt
  • Click the Remove button to delete the items in RED  
  • Click Finish and close the program.
  • Locate the ReportRogue.txt file on your Desktop and copy/paste the contents in your next.

Thanks

• Root Admin

The current logs are not showing an infection. Let me have you run the following again and we'll check logs again.

Please run the following steps and post back the logs as an attachment when ready.

STEP 01

• If you're already running Malwarebytes 3 then open Malwarebytes and check for updates. Then click on the Scan tab and select Threat Scan and click on Start Scan button.
  • If you don't have Malwarebytes 3 installed yet please download it from here and install it.
  • Once installed then open Malwarebytes and check for updates. Then click on the Scan tab and select Threat Scan and click on Start Scan button.
  • Once the scan is completed click on the Export Summary button and save the file as a Text file to your desktop or other location you can find, and attach that log on your next reply.
  • If Malwarebytes won't run then please skip to the next step and let me know on your next reply.

STEP 02

Please download AdwCleaner by Malwarebytes and save the file to your Desktop.

• Right-click on the program and select RunAsAdmin.jpg Run as Administrator to start the tool.
  • Accept the Terms of use.
  • Wait until the database is updated.
  • Click Scan.
  • When finished, please click Clean.
  • Your PC should reboot now if any items were found.
  • After reboot, a log file will be opened. Copy its content into your next reply.

RESTART THE COMPUTER Before running Step 3

STEP 03
Please download the Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens, click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press the Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it also makes another log (Addition.txt). If you've, run the tool before you need to place a check mark here.
  • Please attach the Additions.txt log to your reply as well.

Thanks

Ron

• Root Admin

One of the entries for Driver Booster 5 was flagged. Personally don't think this type of software is needed. Almost any type of maintenance needed is already supported by built-in tools. Up to you if you want to keep it but I would not recommend it.

Your Google Chrome is out of date. Click on Help, About and check for updates

Please download the attached fixlist.txt file and save it to the Desktop.
NOTE. It's important that both files, FRST or FRST64 and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on this particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system.

Run FRST or FRST64 and press the Fix button just once and wait.
If the tool needs a restart please make sure you let the system restart normally and let the tool complete its run after restart.
The tool will make a log on the Desktop (Fixlog.txt). Please attach or post it to your next reply.

Note: If the tool warned you about an outdated version please download and run the updated version.

fixlist.txt

Thanks

Ron

Hello,

When I used my computer this afternoon, it seemed to have no problems and was running smoothly. However, when I went to post this reply, the wifi suddenly stopped. This has started to happen recently, and I had to either force shut down the computer or disable and enable the wifi drivers in my computer. When I went to disable and enable the wifi drivers, the "system" process began to use a lot of the computer's cpu, causing the device manager to stop responding. The computer also froze. I am starting to think that the malware in my computer is located in the "system" process, but I am not able to identify where in the system it is located. Thank you for the help.

Hi, sorry for the late response. For the past few days the computer has been unusable due to the virus freezing it every time I started it up. After much thought, I decided to factory reset my computer using the dell backup and recovery, which has succeeded. Now, the virus appears to be gone. Thank you so much for the support and patience you have shown from helping me with the virus. I will give an update in a few days about the status of the computer.

Hello, it seems that the factory reset did not help. The old symptoms of the computer have returned, and the computer has been freezing with flashing lines. However, I am starting to think that the computer has a hardware issue and does not have a virus. Do you have any resources/tips that can point me towards a solution to the computer's problem? Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...