Destination Component Error Messages

mygoose

I have run Malwarebytes for a long time and I love it.

Suddenly, when I try to run Malwarebytes program from Start Programs I get a Windows Installer box and then a Destination Component error message and whether I said OK, CANCEL or closed the box I got a 2nd error message and again got the same messages whether I said OK or closed the box.

I then tried to download and re-install Malwarebytes but got these messages again during set up.

Have attached screenshots.

What is this please and how can it be fixed?

mygoose

post-18734-1251615198_thumb.jpg

post-18734-1251615218_thumb.jpg

post-18734-1251615242_thumb.jpg

• Root Admin

It's actually not Malwarebytes that is causing this its just that due to an error in the Windows Installer it brings this up randomly and it could have been any program that caused it to surface. Please review the following article for methods of trying to correct it.

Windows Installer Appears Every Time a Program is Started

In your case some program named DESTINATIONS was on your system or still is and it's looking for that installer which is probably no longer there.

This may be from Adobe, if so you might check on their support forum.

Not sure if it's the same issue, but another user posted this: Destinations fix

• 4 months later...
It's actually not Malwarebytes that is causing this its just that due to an error in the Windows Installer it brings this up randomly and it could have been any program that caused it to surface. Please review the following article for methods of trying to correct it.

In your case some program named DESTINATIONS was on your system or still is and it's looking for that installer which is probably no longer there.

Sorry AdvancedSetup, I did not get the email notice so missed your reply. Thanks.

The first link you gave is too complicated for me but the second one you gave seemed spot on as I have long thought the problem was caused by an HP printer of which I have three. The problem started when I got a new All in One HP6380 which did not work too well and after HP told me to uninstall and install it several times.

I followed the poster's steps in your link and got to the instruction to repair the destination.msi file but then it said it could not do so as the printer was not connected when actually it was and printing at the time. Any ideas please?

I am going to try it with the other HP printers but feel convinced that the All in One is the culprit.

I spent two hours on the phone with HP and they insist that it is nothing to do with them.

Thanks again.

mygoose

You could try Method five described on the lower part of this page.

If that doesn't fix it then please try the following:

• Run the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility by Microsoft which can be downloaded from here.
  • Just save the file to your desktop and double click it to run it.
  • Locate the problematic program in the list and remove it. It will likely be listed under HP or as Destinations or Destination Component.

Please let me know how it goes.

You're welcome :)

If you have any questions about any of it just let me know. Also note that the program under Method five on the HP website will likely also uninstall any other HP printer software from your PC so if you have other HP printers that you still use you will probably need to install their drivers and software again once the issue is fixed.

I also sort of rewrote my instructions for the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility to make it a bit more clear:

Run the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility:

• Download the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility from here and save the file to your desktop
  • Double-click on msicuu2.exe to install the utility
  • Follow the onscreen instructions to complete the installation
  • Once you've clicked Finish at the end of the installation click on Start>All Programs and select Windows Install Clean Up
  • Click once on the following to highlight it:

• Destinations
    • Destination Component

[*]Then click on the Remove button and click OK when prompted

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you thank you thank you!!!!!

Your post led me to the solution!!! :)

I have an HP Printer also, and you're right, this isn't a problem with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.

The answer below (that you so kindly provided a link to) solved my "Destination Component" error, that kept wanting a cd.

Re: Destinations.msi

I have an HP printer. This is how I fixed the problem: Put printer

software

in CD; look in the CD program list; go to "setup" folder; go to

the "Destinations" folder; right click the "Destinations.msi" file;

click "repair". It will load and then works fine.

--

DRTidwell

Thanks everybody for help but none of these things fixed it but I have fixed it now.

Another forum told me to run the Windows Installer Clean Up program and remove thwe Destinations Component item and this worked.

Thanks again for help

mygoose

You mean as I already suggested here :) ?

Either way, I'm very glad you got it worked out :) .

Sorry, I did not see that you had written that. I wish I had done as I really suffered with this issue.

I was very worried at removing things with the Windows Installer Clean Up program as I don't understand it and the other people did it with me and helped me set a restore point.

Humble apologies, I really am very grateful to you.

Mainly, I am pleased to be able to use Malwarebytes again.

Thanks again for help and sorry.

mygoose

No problem :) . I'm just glad you got things sorted out. Bizarre issues like that can be tough to track down and can also be a pain to fix sometimes.

Have you any idea how I got the error in the first place?

I am sure that the culprit is my HP Photosmart C6380 All in One which I've had for a year and really has been a pain.

I am still getting messages that I can't do this that or the other "without a printer connected " when the C6380 is showing as being connected to my wireless network and actually printing at the time.

Wished I'd never had it.

Thanks again

mygoose

It sounds like it's just issues with HP's printer software. I've had to deal with it in the past and it can be difficult to hammer out all of the little kinks. You might check to see what printer is set as your default. To do so do the following:

• Click on Start and select Control Panel
  • Click on Printers and Other Hardware Note: If you don't see it, click on Category View on the left pane of the window
  • Click the link at the top that says View Installed Printers and Faxes
  • Right click on the entry for your C6380 and select Set as Default Printer
  • Close the Printers and Faxes window

Hopefully that will help, otherwise I might recommend actually uninstalling it all together from Add/Remove Programs and simply reinstalling the latest printer drivers for it from HP's support site. The drivers for your printer are on this page. Also note that there is an update listed as Critical Update to Correct a PC to Printer Communication Issue under where it says Update. This could be referring to the very issue you describe. The notes which are located on the update's download page here are as follows:

Released: 2009-03-04

Version: 1.0

Compatibility:

Microsoft Windows XP, Microsoft Windows Vista, Microsoft Windows Vista Enterprise (64-bit), Microsoft Windows Vista Business (64-bit), Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium (64-bit), Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate (64-bit), Microsoft Windows Vista (64-bit), Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium (32-bit), Microsoft Windows Vista Business (32-bit), Microsoft Windows Vista Enterprise (32-bit), Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate (32-bit), Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic (64-bit), Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic (32-bit)

System requirements:

Must have an existing installation of the device for which this update is targeted. This update can not be used for initial device installation.

Description:

This update corrects an issue that can cause your computer to lose the connection with your printer, which may result in incomplete print jobs and loss of printer status messaging.

Enhancements:

This update corrects an issue that can cause your computer to lose the connection with your printer, which may result in incomplete print jobs and loss of printer status messaging.

It sounds like it's just issues with HP's printer software. I've had to deal with it in the past and it can be difficult to hammer out all of the little kinks. You might check to see what printer is set as your default. To do so do the following:

• Click on Start and select Control Panel
  • Click on Printers and Other Hardware Note: If you don't see it, click on Category View on the left pane of the window
  • Click the link at the top that says View Installed Printers and Faxes
  • Right click on the entry for your C6380 and select Set as Default Printer
  • Close the Printers and Faxes window

Hopefully that will help, otherwise I might recommend actually uninstalling it all together from Add/Remove Programs and simply reinstalling the latest printer drivers for it from HP's support site. The drivers for your printer are on this page. Also note that there is an update listed as Critical Update to Correct a PC to Printer Communication Issue under where it says Update. This could be referring to the very issue you describe. The notes which are located on the update's download page here are as follows:

Thanks.

It is already the default printer and I have uninstalled/installed it (20 times?) including on the phone with HP.

I did download all of the drivers.

I have just tried again the one you suggested which looked hopeful but got the message

"This update does not support any of the HP device drivers that you have on your PC. You do not need this software update"

Thanks for help.

mygoose

When you tried installing the update did you already have the latest drivers for your printer installed? If not, you need to do so as it is a requirement for it to install that drivers be installed first.

Yes, as per my last post I downloaded all of the drivers.

I noticed the latest system driver is dated 8 May 2009 whereas the critical update you mentioned was March 2009 so maybe it was incorporated in th 8 May 2009 one?

I've just re-done the HP automatic check which says my drivers are all up to date.

At least the auto check recognised my C6380 this time, that it was turned on and that it was connected wirelessly. This is progress as it hasn't recognised it before.

Thanks for help

mygoose

Yes, it's likely they integrated it given the dates. I suspect you're quite correct. Hopefully all this uninstalling/reinstalling/updating finally did the trick, otherwise it could be some sort of wireless interference or some other issue.

Either way, please keep us posted and hopefully it stays fixed this time :) .

• 3 weeks later...
Yes, it's likely they integrated it given the dates. I suspect you're quite correct. Hopefully all this uninstalling/reinstalling/updating finally did the trick, otherwise it could be some sort of wireless interference or some other issue.

Either way, please keep us posted and hopefully it stays fixed this time :) .

Hello exile360

I am still having problems with my old friend Windows Installer and wonder if you could please give me some help.

I have started to get an error every time I open a Word document in that Windows Installer kicks in and I get a message that Macromedia Flash Paper 2 is being configured and it just goes round and round.

I went to do a Restore Point to a previous day and saw that the last entry was Macromedia Flash Paper 2 drivers updates so I went to a Restore Point behind that and it was fine. I had not manually updated the drivers.

However, it was not too long before it started again and looking at the Restore Point the drivers were back in.

Do you know how to stop these updates?

It's rather surprising as this is old software and Adobe have said they are not continuing it with newer versions

Be grateful for help.

mygoose

It could be auto-updating somehow, and sounds like it is. If you don't require Macromedia Flash Paper 2 then I'd suggest removing it, but if you do you'll need to update it. I did find an update for the driver it uses here so if you've never updated it before you might consider installing that as it will likely correct the issues.

Thanks, I love it and do need it.

The thing was that it kept updating the drivers by itself and when I went to a restore point behind the drivers you could see a new restore point a few minutes later where it had automatically put them back in again.

However, I have just fixed it and learnt something new today.

This time when I opened a Word document I got the message

Word experienced a serious error the last time the add-in

post-18734-1267068755_thumb.jpg

post-18734-1267068794_thumb.jpg

That explains why it came up when you opened word. I didn't even realize Adobe installed a plugin into Word, of course I'm not too familiar with FlashPaper either. I suspect disabling it will mean you can't convert Word documents open in Word to PDF though, as that's likely the plugin's function.

Either way, I'm glad it's solved now :).

• 3 weeks later...
You're welcome :(

If you have any questions about any of it just let me know. Also note that the program under Method five on the HP website will likely also uninstall any other HP printer software from your PC so if you have other HP printers that you still use you will probably need to install their drivers and software again once the issue is fixed.

I also sort of rewrote my instructions for the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility to make it a bit more clear:

Run the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility:

• Download the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility from here and save the file to your desktop
  • Double-click on msicuu2.exe to install the utility
  • Follow the onscreen instructions to complete the installation
  • Once you've clicked Finish at the end of the installation click on Start>All Programs and select Windows Install Clean Up
  • Click once on the following to highlight it:

• Destinations
    • Destination Component

[*]Then click on the Remove button and click OK when prompted

Hello exile360

My friend is almost going demented with a message on an HP All in One asking for a CD but it's not quite the same as mine.

It says "the feature you are trying to use is on a CD-Rom or other removable disk that is not available. Insert the Scan disk and click ok" Would you happen to know what to do with this one please?

Thanks for help

mygoose

HP_All_in_One_problem.doc

Hello again :(

I don't have MS Word on this PC unfortunately so I cannot view the attachment. Could you simply have them come here or if you're the one on their PC, could you perhaps give more details about the issue (ie the exact message, the model of their printer etc)?

Also, have you tried/had them try uninstalling and reinstalling the printer drivers?

Have you/they tried the methods described in this post yet? With that method you'd obviously need to substitute Destinations or Destination Component with the component/program that it's looking for but overall the steps should be the same.

Hello again :(

I don't have MS Word on this PC unfortunately so I cannot view the attachment. Could you simply have them come here or if you're the one on their PC, could you perhaps give more details about the issue (ie the exact message, the model of their printer etc)?

Also, have you tried/had them try uninstalling and reinstalling the printer drivers?

Have you/they tried the methods described in this post yet? With that method you'd obviously need to substitute Destinations or Destination Component with the component/program that it's looking for but overall the steps should be the same.

Thanks.

There isn't any more in the message in the attachment than in my post "the feature you are trying to use is on a CD-Rom or other removable disk that is not available. Insert the Scan disk and click ok"

It's a C6280 and they have tried installing and re-installing.

I was hopeful that the steps you gave me might help but it's not a Windows Installer message.

mygoose