Destination Component Error Messages

mygoose

What version of Windows are they using?

I don't know but will ask.

However, friend has just told me that after all of this installing and uninstalling they are missing Photosmart Essentials.

On mine, that is used to scan pictures and it seems to me that the absence of it could be causing that message.

I have given them the link to download it from HP.

What do you think?

mygoose

That sounds like a good idea. In fact, you should have them completely remove all of the HP printer software from their system and install the latest versions from here as that will likely correct the problem they're having.

Let me know if it works or not.

Thanks.

I actually gave them that link earlier on ! If on that link you select your operating system and go to the next page there is under the heading an option to do an automatic check to see if you have the latest drivers. They did that and it said all fine so they did not want to pursue it further.

They were also reluctant to download Photosmart Essentials by itself as they thought that wasn't doing it "properly".

How would you uninstall HP software to make sure it all uninstalled? I know my problem was caused by doing it from Add/Remove programs. Then there's also a warning that uninstalling certain bits that could affect other HP software and I never know what to answer.

Thanks for help

mygoose

Have them this tool and then have them reboot and install the latest drivers from this page (not using the auto-detect method but actually downloading and installing the drivers on that page appropriate for their operating system).

That should correct it. If not, have them use Add/Remove Programs and tell them to have the uninstaller remove all components.

• 3 years later...

I am having trouble with my old friend Windows Installer again.  It is almost the same as my first post but with GPBaseService2 error message instead of Destination Component

More or less all of the time I am getting a Windows Installer box and then a GPBaseService2 error message and whether I said OK, CANCEL or closed the box I got a 2nd error message and again got the same messages whether I said OK or closed the box.

I fixed it before with the Windows Installer Clean Up Utility suggested by exile 360 at post #7 but it seems this is not available now

I would be grateful for some help.

mygoose

post-18734-0-80076600-1390098479_thumb.j

post-18734-0-01658600-1390098497_thumb.j

post-18734-0-41531400-1390098522_thumb.j

post-18734-0-92650600-1390098550_thumb.j

• Root Admin

You can download the utility from here:  Windows Installer CleanUp Utility 7.2

Please make sure you backup your Registry before using it.

Here is a tool if needed.

Backup the Registry:
Modifying the Registry can create unforeseen problems, so it always wise to create a backup before doing so.

• Please download ERUNT from one of the following links: Link1 | Link2 | Link3
  • ERUNT (Emergency Recovery Utility NT) is a free program that allows you to keep a complete backup of your registry and restore it when needed.
  • Double click on erunt-setup.exe to Install ERUNT by following the prompts.
  • NOTE: Do not choose to allow ERUNT to add an Entry to the Startup folder. Click NO.
  • Start ERUNT either by double clicking on the desktop icon or choosing to start the program at the end of the setup process.
  • Choose a location for the backup.
    • Note: the default location is C:\Windows\ERDNT which is acceptable.

[*]Make sure that at least the first two check boxes are selected. [*]Click on OK [*]Then click on YES to create the folder. [*]Note: if it is necessary to restore the registry, open the backup folder and start ERDNT.exe

• 3 months later...

I am still having problems with this.

Before exile3650 told me which items to remove in the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility but this time I cannot see anything like GPBaseService2.

I would be grateful if exile3650 wouldn't mind telling what to do with this one.

It is nearly driving me mad..

Thanks for help

mygoose

Hello again :)

I think the simplest approach would be to try reinstalling the latest drivers for your HP printer. That should hopefully eliminate the problem so that the error message doesn't pop up again.

If you're still using the same printer (the All-In-One C6380) then the download for the latest drivers for your system, assuming you're still using Windows XP, here.

Download the HP Photosmart C6300 All-in-One Printer series Full Feature Software and Driver listed under Driver - Product Installation Software.

Unplug your printer from the computer first then try installing the driver software and follow the onscreen instructions to plug in your printer and turn it on when it says to.

Once that's all done, restart the computer and let us know if the pop-up returns or not.

Thank you.

I am not using a printer with this little holiday laptop and the 6380 died.

I did however have the 6380 installed on here long ago and was cautioned against uninstalling it as it was said HP products are notorious for either leaving bits behind when uninstalled or taking out bits from other HP products.

If you can please tell me how to uninstall it correctly that would be great.

Thanks for help.

mygoose

At this point, given that it's already causing a problem I'd recommend going ahead with the uninstall via Add/Remove Programs. If we run into any other troubles after doing so we can deal with those if and when they happen.

Please give that a try and restart your computer once you're done and let me know if the issue persists or not.

Thanks

Thanks.

I tried to do that and it said what is installed is C6300 Driver Software 12.0 Rel.4

As mentioned in my last post I then got the message in the pic and I don't know what to do about it.

Thanks for help.

mygoose

post-18734-0-81702700-1399941877_thumb.j

I have now uninstalled the 6380 but it has made no difference and would be grateful for some help.

At 38% through the uninstall I got a message HSLPVC Could not stop service OK? but have no idea what this is.

mygoose

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks.

I tried to do that and it said what is installed is C6300 Driver Software 12.0 Rel.4

As mentioned in my last post I then got the message in the pic and I don't know what to do about it.

Thanks for help.

mygoose

If you haven't already, choose "Uninstall all HP products associated with this device" and continue through the uninstaller and reboot once it's completed.

Once that's done, if you still have the issue then please do the following:

Create an Autoruns Log:

• Please download Sysinternals Autoruns from here and save it to your desktop.
    • Note: If using Windows Vista or Windows 7 then you also need to do the following:
      • Right-click on Autoruns.exe and select Properties
      • Click on the Compatibility tab
      • Under Privilege Level check the box next to Run this program as an administrator
      • Click on Apply then click OK
  • Double-click Autoruns.exe to run it.
  • Once it starts, please press the Esc key on your keyboard.
  • Now that scanning is stopped, click on the Options button at the top of the program and select Filter Options...
  • In the Autoruns Filter Options dialoge, verify that the following are unchecked, if they are checked, uncheck them:
    • Include empty locations
    • Show only per-user locations
    • Hide Microsoft entries
    • Hide Windows entries
  • Verify that the following is checked, if it is unchecked, check it:
    • Verify code signatures
  • Once that's done click the Rescan button or press F5 on your keyboard, this will start the scan again, this time let it finish.
  • When it's finished and says Ready. on the lower left of the program window, please click on the File button at the top of the program and select Save and save the Autoruns.arn file to your desktop and close Autoruns.
  • Right click on the Autoruns.arn file on your desktop and hover your mouse over Send To and select Compressed (zipped) Folder
  • Attach the Autoruns.zip folder you just created to your next reply

• 4 weeks later...

exile360 very many thanks for all of that.

I wasn't actually able to do it.

However, this being an HP laptop it had loads of pre-installed stuff that were not related to the printer.

I have uninstalled everything with a sniff of HP and the message has gone.

Peace, perfect peace.

Thanks again for help

mygoose

Yeah, that's basically the 'nuclear option' to make sure that message goes away. I'm glad you were able to get rid of it finally.

Now of course, just make sure that your computer is running normally and that all of the components you use are functional, and if they aren't, then grab the latest drivers from HP's support site and install them.

I wish that HP would fix or eliminate whatever it is about their installers that always seems to cause these issues. It comes up quite frequently (as you can tell from all the results that come up when you do a Google search for the error message) and 99% of the time, it's an HP program/installation that's causing it.