Norton blocking a Malwarebytes file!

Go to solution Solved by lmacri,

Hello,

I am using MB 3.4.5 Premium & I have not had any problems with it.

I also use Norton Security, & Win 10, spring update (1803).

I have never entered any exclusion in MB or NS & have used both programs for years.

Should there be exclusions set because of the following?

Norton Security history log shows a continual blocking (although it never triggers a flag) of:

PROGRAM FILES\MALWAREBYTES\ANTI-MALWARE\MBAMSERVICE.EXE

With the target being:

PROGRAM FILES\NORTON SECURITY WITH BACKUP\ENGINE\22.14.0.54\NORTON SECURITY.EXE

(Norton also says no action required & I have just ignored this for as long as I can remember).

(Screenshots showing Norton blocking the above are attached).

Would Malwarebytes or Norton run any differently if this block did not occur? Does this block just prevent the file from being scanned & might it have something to do with the backup being out on a cloud?

Everything else appears to be normal & there are no problems that I can see.

Thank you,

Kent

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes 3 Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven’t already done so, please run the Malwarebytes Support Tool and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  • Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
  • Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  • Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  • You will be presented with a page stating, "Welcome to the Malwarebytes Support Tool!"
  • Click the Advanced Options link
    welcome mbst.png
  • Click the Gather Logs button
    gatherlogs.png
  • A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed to gather troubleshooting information from your computer
  • Upon completion, click OK
  • A file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop
  • Please attach the file in your next reply. Before submitting your reply, be sure to enable "Notify me of replies" like so:
     notify me.jpeg  

Click "Reveal Hidden Contents" below for details on how to attach a file:
    Spoiler

To save attachments, please click the link as shown below. You can click and drag the files to this bar or you can click the choose files, then browse to where your files are located, select them and click the Open button.

_mb_attach.jpg.a0465aaafd6cae688aa38ab16

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

Hello and Welcome back..

First thing, you are on an older version of Malwarebytes, make sure and update to the latest version... Download the Latest MB3 v3.5.1.2522 CU 1.0.365 from ->>RIGHT HERE<<-

As for the detection, it looks like Norton is picking up on files that are being scanned by Malwarebytes... once the scan is done those files will probably disappear.

If you want to make sure provide the logs requested above and someone from staff will review them.

If you would like to add exclusions (I always do to be proactive and avoid conflicts) see this KB below.

https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1123

It looks like those entries are coming from Norton's self-protection/self-defense component and are just responding to Malwarebytes when it is analyzing Norton's processes/files.  It shouldn't cause any harm.  We have seen similar behaviors in the past from other AV products, including previous versions of Norton/Symantec products and it shouldn't affect how the two programs function together to protect the system.

You can try excluding Norton's files from Malwarebytes, but that probably won't work because Malwarebytes never truly ignores any file/folder in the sense that one might think in that it still scans/checks/monitors everything, exclusions simply cause Malwarebytes to allow/not detect the excluded items as threats meaning excluding it would probably not stop these entries from being created by Norton.

What you might be able to do if it is a problem is add MBAMService.exe as an excluded/trusted process in Norton and it might stop the alerts, however it's not guaranteed.  Otherwise, you could probably disable the self-defense component in Norton if you had to and that would stop the alerts as well.

Hi exile360,

Thank you for your explanation.

I think that I will leave well enough alone since MB & NS have worked well together. I would never know this happens except for reading NS history report as no flags ever come up & it seems that it refers to only the one same file over & over.

• Solution
On 5/18/2018 at 5:32 PM, Firefox said:

...If you would like to add exclusions (I always do to be proactive and avoid conflicts) see this KB below.

https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1123

Hi Irhere:

See Cindy10's thread Norton Blocked my Mailwarebites antimailwareprogram! in the Norton forum for further information about these Unauthorized Access Blocked messages.  As others have suggested, these entries are logged in the Norton Product Tamper Protection (NPTP) section of your Norton security history every time any executable (including trusted Windows system files like svchost.exe, dfrgntfs.exe, etc.) attempts to read/write/edit/delete a Norton file.  This NPTP logging rarely causes a performance issue and it's usually safe to ignore these Unauthorized Access Blocked entries in your security history.

The instructions in Cindy10's Norton forum thread are a bit out-of-date but if you'd like to try Firefox's suggestion in post # 3 to create scan exclusions for the Malwarebytes v3.x files listed at https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1123 (like Firefox, I always do this to prevent possible conflicts) this will likely stop the Unauthorized Access Blocked logging for MBAMService.exe.  Go to Settings | Antivirus | Scans and Risks | Exclusions / Low Risks and then add the file and folder exclusions in both the Items to Exclude from Scans section (to prevent detection during a "traditional" file scan like a Quick Scan) and Items to Exclude from Auto-Protect, SONAR Detection and Download Intelligence Detection section (to prevent detection by Norton's real-time protection) as shown in the image below. See the support article Exclude Files and Folders from Norton Auto-Protect, SONAR, and Download Intelligence Scans for further information.

803206732_NSv22_9_4CreateScanExclusion.png.b371bf55c59dda282af3f52f25f7566c.png

I'm currently having a few issues running Norton v22.x and MB Premium v3.x together in real-time protection mode on my old Vista SP2 machine so I'm also testing the following exclusions for Norton executables in Malwarebytes at Settings | Exclusions | Add Exclusion.  Unfortunately, the location of the main Norton executable (nortonsecurity.exe if you are using the latest Norton v22.14.0.54) moves to a different folder every time Symantec releases a product update so if you want to create an exclusion for a specific file like nortonsecurity.exe you'll have to remember to edit the exclusion every time Norton is updated.

1842492851_MBv3_5_1NortonScanExclusions.png.eebf002d850a691433b80896f8802fa2.png

----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.8.0 * Norton Security Premium v22.14.0.54 * MB Premium v3.5.1.2522-1.0.365

Edited by lmacri