Context Menu Missing

Hi all

Just updated to 3.5.1 and the 'scan with malwarebytes' is missing from the context menu. This has happened before and has always been easily fixed by either re-starting malwarebytes or re-starting windows. Since the update to 3.5.1 however none of these work.

It's a small thing but just wanted to add it here.

1 hour ago, Firefox said:

@apneus

Try turning off Windows Context Menues -> Show Malwarebytes options in Windows Explore under Settings -> General, then exit out of Malwarebytes

Open Malwarebytes and then Turn the option back on then Reboot computer and see if it comes back...

Thanks for the tip, didn't work. It's only a tiny thing, and not a problem. Tt will probably solve itself after an update or two. Everything else seems to work nicely.

Really pleased with it.

OK, in the interest of curiosity, I did some poking around and discovered a couple of things. The 3.5.1 update did not install the mbshlext.dll which I think is the dll for the context menu entry. So I downloaded the most recent version from the website, installed it, and that didn't install the dll either. Now I understand this could be for many reasons, and that dll could have been replaced in this version but it is missing. 

Just to re state, this is not a big problem just letting you know in case it's something you missed. Everything else is working fine.

The DLL doesn't get installed by default, it happens only when the service starts. Can you please gather the logs mentioned below so we can take a look:

1. Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
  2. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  3. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  4. You will be presented with a page stating, "Welcome to the Malwarebytes Support Tool!"
  5. Click the Advanced Options link
    welcome mbst.png
  6. Click the Gather Logs button
    gatherlogs.png
  7. A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed to gather troubleshooting information from your computer
  8. Upon completion, click OK
  9. A file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop

One more thing you might try is turning on the Show Malwarebytes notifications in the Windows System Tray under Notifications located in the Settings>Application tab, then toggle the setting for the context menu off/on once more, then restart the system and see if the right-click context menu option to scan with Malwarebytes is present again.

The reason I suggest this even though the tray notifications aren't supposed to have anything to do with the context menu scan entry is because, at least in past releases, there was a bug where the two settings were tied together by mistake and I'm not certain if that issue has been fixed or not yet so it's worth a try to see if this resolves it.

Either way, also providing the logs/info requested above by dcollins would also be a good idea so that the team can take a look at what's going on with your installation as it might illuminate the cause of the issue on your system.

Hi 

Right first thing, apologies for the delay, it was really late (or early) here last night and been in work today. Right, I have attached the results of the support scan here but.. 

I tried exile360's suggestion and it worked instantly. It seems they are indeed linked. Hopefully the scan  results will still be of use.

All working now, after a couple of reboots. Thank you both.

Edited by apneus
Sent using PM

Hi 

Right first thing, apologies for the delay, it was really late (or early) here last night and been in work today. Right, I have attached the results of the support scan here but.. 

I tried exile360's suggestion and it worked instantly. It seems they are indeed linked. Hopefully the scan  results will still be of use.

All working now, after a couple of reboots. Thank you both.

Edited by apneus