New ransomware?

From a subscriber:
Just had an internet security alert on my computer.  Audible and would not let me do anything to shut it down.  I ran the Malwarebytes and also Spybot.  Nothing showed up.  I did "shut down" and restarted.  It said to call Windows Tech support. 
-------
That sounds like typical ransomware to me. Normally MalwareBytes takes care of those. Is this a new type not yet recognized?
The user is smart enough not to call the number.
What do you recommend?

29 minutes ago, DearWebby said:

Just had an internet security alert on my computer.  Audible and would not let me do anything to shut it down.  I ran the Malwarebytes and also Spybot.  Nothing showed up.  I did "shut down" and restarted.  It said to call Windows Tech support. 

There all fake. Most you have to use task manager to close. They are basically pop up's/ redirects. Mb blocks many of those but they are not ransomware but a social engineering attack to get suckers to fall for their scam.  I could go on forever on where they come from but you hopefully get the idea. 

The user is smart enough not to call the number.

That is the best defense. But many users are not smart and believe everything.

What do you recommend?

Client education to start. I rarely have this happen to existing clients because of education AND I instruct my clients to ONLY use Firefox or chrome which I have installed Ublock Origin before they use the computer again.  

Brings me, new clients, though.:rolleyes:

From a subscriber:

What do you mean by this?

Similar to these ?

I have created a 1series of videos generated from these fraud sites for the purposes of recognition and education.  They are all  videos from real web sites.  ALL are FRAUDS.

All these have one thing in common and they have nothing to do with any software on your PC.  They are all nefarious web sites meant to defraud you of money. The objective is to, falsely, goad you to make the phone call and pay for some service contract for an incident that never happened.  From there they may continue to charge your Credit Card for other services, remote into your computer and do real damage and/or exfiltrate your personal data and they may use the information they obtain from you to commit additional frauds.

MalwareScam.wmv
MalwareScam-1.wmv
MalwareScam-2.wmv
MalwareScam-3.wmv
MalwareScam-4.wmv
MalwareScam-5.wmv
MalwareScam-6.wmv

I have also created a PDF ScreenShow of a myriad of FakeAlert screens - FakeAlert-Screens.pdf

Reference:   
US FBI PSA - Tech Support Scam

1.  Also located at "My Online Security" - Some videos of typical tech support scams

Edited by David H. Lipman
Spelling, Grammar and Clarification