Adware.Elex.ShrtCln keeps returning

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So ive managed to come up with a temporary solution, i uninstalled Chrome, went into %appdata% and made sure i removed all google folders, then scanned and nothing came up, 0 threats, nothing

im now using FireFox and im still getting nothing come up during the scans and ill probably still use firefox until some sort of solution comes about with chrome

note: i havent reinstalled chrome to see if the issue is fixed as i dont wanna add those files back just in case, but please update me if reinstalling chrome does solve the issue, for anyone wanting to try that out

Ill also add the fact that when i had chrome installed, even though Malwarebytes was picking up the web data files as PUP Windows Defender was picking up anything at all, not sure if that says anything but yeah just trying to add every bit of info ive come out with this

Edited by TomSummers
More Info

When I quarantine the web data file, malwarebytes does not remove it from the folder, even when chrome is closed. I ended up going to %appdata% , then click on appdata in the location bar so I can goto local, google, chrome, user data, default and I found web data at the bottom and deleted it. I ran a new scan on the default folder and it showed clean. I opened chrome and it showed that I was not logged into chrome and I did not log into it, but I ran another scan on default folder and it was still clean. When I log into chrome and then run a scan the web data file comes up again. I deleted the web data file again and I will not log into chrome for now. 

1 minute ago, FelipeSAMA said:

Hello.. I am worryed and don't know if this treat could affect my system or steal my  personal data :huh: 

40 minutes ago, TomSummers said:

So ive managed to come up with a temporary solution, i uninstalled Chrome, went into %appdata% and made sure i removed all google folders, then scanned and nothing came up, 0 threats, nothing

im now using FireFox and im still getting nothing come up during the scans and ill probably still use firefox until some sort of solution comes about with chrome

note: i havent reinstalled chrome to see if the issue is fixed as i dont wanna add those files back just in case, but please update me if reinstalling chrome does solve the issue, for anyone wanting to try that out

Ill also add the fact that when i had chrome installed, even though Malwarebytes was picking up the web data files as PUP Windows Defender was picking up anything at all, not sure if that says anything but yeah just trying to add every bit of info ive come out with this

thats my temporary solution until they find out whats going on, someone else deleted the web data file from the %appdata% folder then when on chrome didnt log in and that seemed to work, like i said these solutions are only for when they find out a proper fix as running chrome normally doesn't seem to work at the moment

2 minutes ago, TomSummers said:

thats my temporary solution until they find out whats going on, someone else deleted the web data file from the %appdata% folder then when on chrome didnt log in and that seemed to work, like i said these solutions are only for when they find out a proper fix as running chrome normally doesn't seem to work at the moment

I tryed to do the same.. uninstalled chrome, and deleted all the folders, into appData, the problem still persists

Hi guys,

PUP stands for Potentially Unwanted Program. PUPs aren't the kind of programs that will steal your data (passwords and such) or compromise them, so there's no need to worry about that. In your situation, the PUP detection is triggered by a or certain configs in your Google Chrome userprofile that is related to a PUP: startup page, search engine, new tab settings, extension, etc.

So for now, your data is not at risk. Malwarebytes is working on figuring out a fix for these detections. All we can do in the meantime is sit back and wait. I'll also be working on this as soon as I can, but right now, I'm not available.

Thank you!

2 hours ago, Aura said:

Nutkins, is that a brand new Windows 10 installation?

And sorry @gima, there might be a way to get them from your Android, assuming you are logged in Chrome with your Google account. It might be accessible in your dashboard.

https://www.google.com/settings/chrome/sync

Anyway, the solution you posted WORKED for me... rebooted, made chrome running, got access, scanned, rebooted, scanned again, and no malware detection..

Now I just have to get my google data back again...!! :wacko: (OMG)

2 minutes ago, gima said:

As posted from MB staff

But deleting all your favs might not be the best (for me is really not a good new!)

see i followed that but it still didnt work for me, the stuff still kept popping up :/

ive completely uninstalled chrome and im using firefox until i know this solution has been resolved properly as i think im not the only one that method doesnt work for

Edited by TomSummers

6 minutes ago, TomSummers said:

see i followed that but it still didnt work for me, the stuff still kept popping up :/

ive completely uninstalled chrome and im using firefox until i know this solution has been resolved properly as i think im not the only one that method doesnt work for

I Just see that sync from Android device is not working (so my favs and settings are in the phone, but they don't get back to the PC, even after logging in back). Don't know whether this might have an effect on the issue or not. MAYBE if you stop sync from all other devices and do that, it MIGHT work. But of course there's staff here knowing the specs better than me.

Just now, gima said:

I Just see that sync from Android device is not working (so my favs and settings are in the phone, but they don't get back to the PC, even after logging in back). Don't know whether this might have an effect on the issue or not. MAYBE if you stop sync from all other devices and do that, it MIGHT work. But of course there's staff here knowing the specs better than me.

i dont think im syncd up to anywhere else though, i use google on my phone but thats through safari, but yeah hopefully the MB staff find a solution soon otherwise im sticking with Fire Fox at this rate

14 minutes ago, TomSummers said:

i dont think im syncd up to anywhere else though, i use google on my phone but thats through safari, but yeah hopefully the MB staff find a solution soon otherwise im sticking with Fire Fox at this rate

Anyway, coincidence or not, sync of my Android device stopped working.

Hi guys,

First of all, for more explanation about why this issue is occurring, read Fatdcuk's post below.

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/214438-chrome-web-data-pup-wont-go-away/?do=findComment&comment=1180550

Now, if you aren't running the latest version of Malwarebytes already (which is 3.3.1 at this time), please download and install the latest (in-place upgrade) from the website directly.

https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb3/

Alternatively, you can open Malwarebytes, go to the Settings tab, and under the Application tab, click on the Install Application Updates button. This way, Malwarebytes will look for a newer version of the program and if found, asks you if you want to install it (do so).
EEdmPfu.png

Once done, follow the instructions in the thread below and see if that solves your issue. Please note that, as stated in the thread below, these steps will most likely have to be executed on every single computer where you are logged in Google Chrome with your Google account, and where the sync feature is enabled.

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/214325-chrome-secure-preferences-detection-always-comes-back/

If the guide above didn't help you, you can try to manually clean your Google Chrome settings, as to remove the threat Malwarebytes is detecting (the one(s) that keeps coming back). There are three main areas that you can clean: the New Tab page, the Search engine, and the On start-up (start page):

• On the top-right corner of Google Chrome, click on the three little dots, and then click on Settings (or simply access chrome://settings from the navigation/URL bar)
  • Under Appearance and Show Home button, make sure that either New Tab page is selected, or that you know and trust the website in the second option (ex: google.com)
    yuYmo5T.png
  • Under Search engine, make sure that the Search engine used in the address bar is set to Google or another trusted search engine (such as DuckDuckGo)
    QHcKrhr.png
  • Click on the Manage search engines button, and under Default search engines, delete every other options (by clicking on the three little dots on the right, followed by Remove from list) other than Google
    lxbWHn1.png
  • You are also free to remove the search engines under Other search engines if wanted
  • Once done, go back and under On start-up, make sure that the Open the New Tab page option is selected OR, if the Open a specific page or set of pages option is selected, make sure that only knowns and trusted websites are listed. Otherwise, delete them by clicking on the three little dots on the right and select Remove
    Ef7a38z.png

Another possible solution at the moment, is to add the detected file(s) (either Web Cache, Secure Preferences or both) to Malwarebytes' scan exclusion list, so it won't get detected anymore. For more information on how to proceed, follow the instructions in the support article below.

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/214438-chrome-web-data-pup-wont-go-away/

The two possible files to add are:

C:\Users\$YOUR_USERNAME\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Secure Preferences
C:\Users\$YOUR_USERNAME\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Web Cache

For instance, the full path for these two files on my system would be:

C:\Users\Aura\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Secure Preferences
C:\Users\Aura\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Web Cache

Let me know if any of that worked for you. If it that, let me know which solution worked. If you need assistance with the instructions above, 

Edited by Aura

Hi Aura,

So I followed your instructions to manually clean the Google Chrome settings. After that I ran a scan with Malwarebytes... and hallelujah it worked!  :D

No more threats were found anymore on both my computers (desktop and laptop).

Thank you so much for your time and effort in this, Aura!!

Keep up the good work! ;)

Cheers,

Nutkins