Nothing will remove Malwarebytes to reinstall

I kept getting an error that Malwarebytes service could not start.  In the forums I read that I should resinstall Malwarebytes.

1) I could not uninstall Malwarebytes from Windows 10, it gave me an 'Unable to uninstall' error

2) I ran mb-clean and rebooted, shut down any anit-virus running, and it still gave me the error that service could not be started when I rebooted.

3) I went to the registry, and it gave me errors when trying to delete several malwarebytes entries, so I could not clean up those entries

4) I went to services, and although all Malwarebytes services were stopped, I could not delete them (some self protection seems to be on).

5) Tried resinstalling Malwarebytes, and get 'The application was unable to start correctly (oxc0000279). Click OK to close the application).

I'm at a loss, no way to uninstall and reinstall to get the product running again.

1 hour ago, c5apilot said:

I kept getting an error that Malwarebytes service could not start.  In the forums I read that I should resinstall Malwarebytes.

1) I could not uninstall Malwarebytes from Windows 10, it gave me an 'Unable to uninstall' error

2) I ran mb-clean and rebooted, shut down any anit-virus running, and it still gave me the error that service could not be started when I rebooted.

3) I went to the registry, and it gave me errors when trying to delete several malwarebytes entries, so I could not clean up those entries

4) I went to services, and although all Malwarebytes services were stopped, I could not delete them (some self protection seems to be on).

5) Tried resinstalling Malwarebytes, and get 'The application was unable to start correctly (oxc0000279). Click OK to close the application).

I'm at a loss, no way to uninstall and reinstall to get the product running again.

Run the clean tool in safe mode. Be sure you have the latest version.

Tool can be found at https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb_clean

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

Run the clean tool in safe mode. Be sure you have the latest version.

Tool can be found at https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb_clean

Ran the clean tool (latest) in safe mode and still get the error listed above when I restart the computer (0xc0000279).  I've attached the log that shows mb-clean fails at most of the tasks.

mb-clean-results.txt

Hi c5apilot,

Thank you for your patience. Our Self-Protection has been left running on your system and MB-Clean is unfortunately unable to gracefully shut it down.

We have various options to address this, but first will need to collect information pertinent to your situation. Please carry out the instructions below. Thank you!

ax95aeM.png Malwarebytes (MB) Check

• Please download MB-Check using the link below.
    https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb3_check
  • Double-click ax95aeM.png mb-check.exe to run the program.
  • A black Command Prompt window will briefly appear. Click OK upon completion.
  • A file named HSPwQfy.png mb-check-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop.
  • Please attach the file in your next reply.
Edited by LiquidTension

Hi c5apilot,

Thank you very much for the file.

Please proceed with the instructions below. If you encounter any issues, just let me know. Please note that the instructions should only be carried out on this specific computer we're dealing with currently.

HMIz6oX.png Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit (MBAR) Pro

• Please download MBAR-Pro using the link below.
    https://malwarebytes.box.com/s/st9yyi24d3q8l939tuk6az5xek7c4ka0
  • Open your Downloads folder.
  • Right-click HSPwQfy.png mbar-pro-1.09.4.1001-u.zip and click Extract All... followed by Extract.
  • You will now have a folder named mbar-pro-1.09.4.1001-u. Inside, you will find a file named run.bat and a folder named mbar-pro.
  • Right-click CX41PDv.png run.bat and select AVOiBNU.jpg Run as administrator to run the file.
  • Note: If you are prompted by Windows SmartScreen, click More info followed by Run anyway.
  • A black Command Prompt window will appear.
  • Eventually, you should see a message box appear stating, "(i) Schedule succeeded!". Click OK.
  • hkEITpp.png Important: If the box displays a different message or error, please stop and inform me of the exact message displayed.
  • If the correct message is displayed, please reboot your computer by clicking the Windows Start 5L1CNl0.png button, followed by v8hKeYV.png Power and finally Restart.
  • Note: Please ensure you click Restart and not Shut Down.
  • After your computer has rebooted, please run MB-Clean using the instructions below.

Mrsd20g.png Malwarebytes (MB) Clean

• Please download MB-Clean using the link below.
    https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb_clean
  • Note: This link provides the latest version of MB-Clean. Please download the latest version even if you have previously downloaded the tool.
  • After downloading the latest version, please double-click Mrsd20g.png mb-clean-3.1.0.1014.exe to run the program.
  • Click Yes when prompted and wait.
  • If you are prompted to reboot, click Yes. This is very important! If you are not prompted, please skip to the last bullet point below.
  • Note: After your computer has rebooted, please ensure you log back into the same user account.
  • Please click No when prompted to install Malwarebytes 3.
  • hkEITpp.png Important: It is essential the No button is clicked.
  • A log named UdawJ7P.png mb-clean-results.txt will be saved to your Desktop. Please attach the log in your next reply.
Edited by LiquidTension

Again, thanks for the focus on this problem.  Unfortunately it did not work.   I tried it in two modes (1: with Norton protection shut down (all); and 2: in Safe mode).  In both cases I get the message that "mbar is not found" and the command screen shuts down when "Ok" is clicked (see Error 1:jpg above).

Just jumping in here, Could you get the following logs, please.

• Create and obtain Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) logs
    1. Download FRST and save it to your desktop
      Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit
    2. Double-click to run FRST and when the tool opens click "Yes" to the disclaimer
    3. Press the "Scan" button
    4. This will produce two files in the same location (directory) as FRST: FRST.txt and Addition.txt
      • Attach both of these logs to your forum post by clicking on the "Drag files here to attach, or choose files..." or simply drag the files to the attachment area

Thank you for your patience, c5apilot.

We have the required information. This is the source of the issue and can only be tackled with a small number of options. One has been exhausted already (MB-Clean in Safe Mode) - use of MBAR-Pro is the next easiest option that's viable.

--------------MBAMChameleon:--------------
Type:                   2
State:                  4 (The service is running.) (STOPPABLE, NOT_PAUSABLE, IGNORES_SHUTDOWN)
WIN32_EXIT_CODE:        0
SERVICE_EXIT_CODE:      0
CHECKPOINT:             0
WAIT_HINT:              0

Having consulted with one of the MBAR-Pro developers, I would like you to try an alternative command. Please disable Norton and ensure the following path exists: C:\Users\Lloyd\Downloads\mbar-pro-1.09.4.1001-u\mbar-pro. Please double-check there is indeed still a file named mbar-pro.dll inside the mbar-pro directory.

Please open an elevated Command Prompt by pressing Ctrl+S on your keyboard, typing cmd, right-clicking Command Prompt and clicking Run as administrator.

Copy the following text:

cd "%userprofile%\Downloads\mbar-pro-1.09.4.1001-u\mbar-pro"

Right-click inside the Command Prompt window to paste the text. Press Enter.

In the Command Prompt window, you should now be inside the mbar-pro directory.

Copy the following text:

mbar.exe /z /a b C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamchameleon.sys

Right-click inside the Command Prompt window to paste the text. Press Enter.

Let me know how you get on and if you still encounter the same errors or not.

Okay - let's put that aside. The following is a little more involved but should be successful.

xlK5Hdb.png Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) Recovery Environment Script

Note: You require access to a USB drive.
Note: Please ensure you have access to the instructions using a different device.

• Insert your USB drive into your computer.
  • Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (x64) and save the file to your USB drive.
  • Please download Fixlist.txt and save the file to your USB drive.
  • Enter the Recovery Environment using the instructions below.

Enter Recovery Environment (Windows 10)

• Consult the following instructions (scroll down to "Entry points into WinRE") on how to enter the Recovery Environment in Windows 10.
  • After entering the Recovery Environment, click Troubleshoot followed by Advanced options.
  • Proceed to the Advanced Boot Options Menu instructions below.

Advanced Boot Options Menu

• Select Command Prompt.
  • In the command window type notepad and press Enter on your keyboard.
  • Notepad will open. Click File followed by Open.
  • Click Computer,write down your USB drive letter on a piece of paper and close Notepad.
  • Type: x:\frst64.exe in the command window. 
    • Note: Replace letter x with the drive letter of your USB drive you wrote down earlier.
  • Press Enter on your keyboard. The tool will start to run.
  • When the tool opens click Yes to the disclaimer.
  • Click Fix.
  • A log (Fixlog.txt) will be saved to your USB drive. Reboot your computer.
  • Please attach Fixlog.txt in your next reply.

Looks good!

Please go ahead and rerun MB-Clean. If it prompts you to reboot, please consent. After the reboot, please consent to installation of Malwarebytes 3.

If you are not prompted to reboot (because no Malwarebytes-related software was found), you can manually install Malwarebytes 3 using the instructions below.

Ky7CZ60.png Malwarebytes Installation

• Please download the installer for the latest version of Malwarebytes using the link below.
    https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb3
  • Double-click rPqaKbj.png mb3-setup-consumer-3.1.2.1733.exe or click Run in your browser to run the installer.
  • Follow the prompts to install the program.
  • Upon completion, open Malwarebytes.
  • If you see My Account in the upper right corner, no further action is required.
  • If you do not see My Account, click Activate License in the upper right corner.
  • Enter your key in the License key: field.
  • Place a FSHHv35.png checkmark next to My license came with a License ID and enter your ID in the License ID: field if your license came with one.
  • Note: You should see a q3s76G6.png green checkmark next to your License Key/ID.
  • Click Activate License.
  • Ky7CZ60.png Malwarebytes Premium will now be displayed at the top of the Malwarebytes window.
Edited by LiquidTension

Hurrah!!!  It is installed and is conducting a scan as we speak.  Thanks Liquid Tension and Porthos.  Sorry to take so much of your time.   I will continue to recommend Malwarebytes to all my customers.  The support is nothing short of outstanding!

Edited by c5apilot
unfinished entry

To anyone following this, the original problem was that Malwarebytes was no longer running.  Uninstalling failed to allow a followup reinstall.  Certain parts of Malwarebytes were not removed completely, further preventing Malwarebytes from reinstalling.  If this should happen to you, follow the steps carefully run the Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (x64)  from a USB drive from a Recovery Command Prompt screen and select 'Fix' after the scan (see previous well written instructions).  If finally worked for me.