Scheduled scan not updating database?

Malwarebytes 3.1.2.1733 correctly reports that the database is not current after 24 hrs. So once the scheduled scan runs I would expect that the data base should be current as it is set to update the database prior to scans. However MBAM still reports the data base is not current after the scheduled scan has run.  

Running the update manually works okay but why not with the scan?

Isn’t this an anomaly?

Hello @mightaswell:

The Malwarebytes' developers/staffers/helpers must have good log data for a quality fault analysis to commence.

1) From the locked/pinned topics, at the beginning of this sub-forum, please follow the steps within the topic at Having problems using Malwarebytes? Please follow these steps

2) Please only attach the latest, relevant Threat Scan log that may document the issue you are reporting.

3) In the next reply to your topic, please only attach the three (3) separate files that are developed above: mb-check-results.zip, FRST.txt, and Addition.txt, Threat Scan Log.txt.

Thank you.

Edited by 1PW

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

Also, verify that this checkbox is checked.

sch scan updates.png

Thanks @Porthos but I had already checked and it was checked! Hence my puzzlement when the scan did not remove the database not current icon. 

Here are the logs requested by @1PW.

PS some personally identifiable data in the following reports has been replaced with *****. 

FRST.txt

Addition.txt

mb-check-results.zip

MB REPORT.txt

Edited by mightaswell

I think I see what's happening. It looks like you have a daily scan set to run sometime in the early hours of the morning (around 2:10 AM). Based on your logs, your computer looks to be asleep at this time. So when you wake your computer up right away in the morning, the scan is immediately starting. Most likely your internet is taking a moment to kick in (wireless perhaps?) and you're not connected. So the scan continues without updating and goes forward.

You do have your updates set to run every hour, and it looks like they're running properly. How often do you see the out of date message, and does it only happen in the morning?

Thanks @dcollins what happened was I had not turned the PC on for over 24 hrs. So some five minutes after booting up the MBAM alert appeared - the database is not current appeared. I deliberately did not manually update but waited to see what would happen. The scan did not run for a few hours or so after this. I was expecting the out of date icon to disappear either by the program checking for updates hourly (which it is set to do) or at least the scan, but it did not. The relevant scan report indicated it used an update which was not current as after I manually updated the update package version immediately altered and the out of date icon which was showing up till then disappeared . I had a similar issue with the laptop as well and it was fixed when I disabled the warn me when updates are older than 24 hrs. Checking the update package status manually confirmed the updates are indeed  current. I will check again with the laptop and turn on the alert and see if the update packages do update with the alert on or revert back to waiting for manual intervention. 

Next time you get the error, can you try running mb-check as quickly as possible after the error so we can try to narrow down what's causing the error? All the log reports show the errors happening minutes after the database not updating, and the scan happening immediately at boot. If we can get logs around the time this happens, this should help us narrow down the information we need to digest

@dcollins if I shut down and don't boot up for over 24 hrs the issue occurs otherwise it works as it should with regular updates etc. I could set the scheduled scan to occur more often and set the missed by to a shorter time frame and see if that triggers a boot time scan which appears to initiate the error.