I had assumed that malwarebytes free would protect me from all the bugs going round.  Now I see that it doesn't protect me from WanaCrypt0r.  Whats the use of MWB then?  What else does it not protect me from?  Am I wasting my time using it???

Edited by geordieMick
addind more comments

Sorry but that sounds quite ignorant. Malwarbytes is still a business and as this it is trying to earn money. Malwarbytes free is already one of the best tools around. However as mentioned everywhere it is not a realtime protection. That means you can check and remove infections afterwards. I would not use malwarbytes free as my only protection suite.

If you want the real protection you will have to pay for Malwarbytes Premium which is a great product. It will detect malware and ransomware like WanaCrypt0r before it can do any damage to your system. It is even better then alot of other anti virus suites as it will detect  the pattern of ransomware and stop it even before it is detected and added to the database as malware by other tools.

Edited by BlaaaBlaaaBlaaa

4 hours ago, geordieMick said:

I had assumed that malwarebytes free would protect me from all the bugs going round.  Now I see that it doesn't protect me from WanaCrypt0r.  Whats the use of MWB then?  What else does it not protect me from?  Am I wasting my time using it???

MB FREE does NOT protect from anything, Never has. One must purchase the premium version to have real time protection

Greetings,

I apologize if there was any misunderstanding regarding what the free version of Malwarebytes does.  It is limited in its capabilities because it is only an on-demand scanner that can check for and remove malware, however when dealing with threats like exploits and ransomware it is often the case that by the time the threat has done its damage it's too late.  Free might be able to detect and remove the malware at that stage, but it cannot decrypt or recover any files that might have been encrypted, deleted or otherwise damaged by the infection.

That said, our paid version has additional capabilities that simply can't be included in a scanner because they must be active when the threat first tries to get in so that they can detect the malicious behavior as it is happening to identify the behavior and stop it in its tracks.  These capabilities include our exploit protection and ransomware protection which watch for malicious patterns of behavior in realtime to stop attacks before the infection can take hold on your system and do any damage, but to work those protection layers must be constantly running in the background monitoring events as they occur, otherwise they have no way of seeing and identifying (and therefor stopping) the malicious behavior.

Again, I do apologize if the differences in capabilities between the free and Premium versions of Malwarebytes were not clear, and while it does not offer realtime protection, the free version always has and always will still continue to remove any threats that it is capable of detecting without you having to purchase anything, it's simply not possible to undo some of the damage these threats can cause unless you have isolated backups of your files and data that you can restore after an attack.  This is why prevention is so important and why we do offer a Premium version which provides this additional protection should you decide that you want it.  If you want to know more about the differences between free and Premium you may read the information on this page.  Simply scroll down the page to the table where it lists the differences in features between the two.  We also offer a 30 day money back guarantee so that if you should purchase a year's subscription for Premium but after using it decide within that 30 days that you no longer wish to use it to protect your system you may contact us to get a refund and you may revert to using the free version afterwards once more if you wish.  Also, if you have not used the 14 day trial yet you may activate it within the Malwarebytes main interface to test out all the Premium features for 2 weeks to decide whether or not you would like to purchase it and once the trial ends, if you decide to go back to using free instead that's not problem either.

Edited by exile360

• 1 month later...

@geordieMick The free version of Malwarebytes is best used as a remediation tool. If a threat makes it on to your computer, you can use the free version of Malwarebytes to remove the threat. It will not decrypt files however. This is why we recommend the premium version with real-time protection, as that will stop the threat from getting on your computer in the first place.