"a new version of malwarebytes is ready to be installed"

I'm using Malwarebytes 2.2.1.1043 and evidently a new version of Malwarebytes is ready to be installed. I've searched for how to disable this message and have found nothing. I would settle for postponing the next message to the year 2025 or 2030 or even later... but I get a popup notification in the middle of my screen at least every 10 minutes. When I select "later" it assumes I mean "in a few minutes" and ... it actually just popped up as I'm writing this.

I like Malwarebytes. I don't want to switch anti-virus software on my personal and work PCs. I can't image there isn't a way to disable this on account of there are many anti-virus programs out there that work well if not better than Malwarebytes so it makes no sense they'd be attempting to strong arm users into this sort of stuff.

Any suggestions?

• 11 months later...
1 hour ago, ParanoiaBoy said:

just curiousity, why would you want to run a very obsolete version of an antivirus software? wouldn't it be pointless since it cannot defend from anything since threats keep evolving?

While you do make a fair point, it is definitely true that newer versions include enhancements, and in the case of 3.x vs 2.x, even major features beyond what the older version includes, some users choose not to upgrade either because of a problem or incompatibility with the new version on their system or because there are one or more changes that they don't like in the newer releases.  If it is due to a bug or compatibility issue then hopefully it will be fixed someday soon in an upcoming 3.x release, but if it is a matter of the user simply preferring 2.x then hopefully they will eventually warm up to the 3.x version as it is further enhanced and improved.

16 hours ago, ParanoiaBoy said:

just curiousity, why would you want to run a very obsolete version of an antivirus software? wouldn't it be pointless since it cannot defend from anything since threats keep evolving?

2.2 still receives regular database updates. It just doesn't have all the fancy, and troublesome, features of the latest version.

4 hours ago, bdg2 said:

2.2 still receives regular database updates. It just doesn't have all the fancy, and troublesome, features of the latest version.

In addition to the new protection features (yes, some of which, like Ransomware Protection, definitely have issues right now for some users), there are also capabilities in the scan/detection engine which have been added and augmented that don't exist in 2.2 (or even older 3.x versions) because, as the Research team discovers new threats which require new capabilities to effectively target, the Developers create new tools for them in the engine and syntax of the database, but since older versions don't have the code to interpret these new types of rules/syntax, they ignore them because they aren't able to use them, thus there are threats that a scan with an older version will not be able to detect that a scan with the newest version would.