Use caution when updating to Windows 10 Anniversary Update

• Root Admin

You may want to read some of the following posts before you allow Windows 10 to update to the latest Anniversary Update.

Windows 10 Anniversary update problems, not recognizing external hdd

Unable to access external hard drive

Windows 10 fully freezes after anniversary update

Windows 10 anniversary update Megathread

I tried it and now I'm probably going to rollback as my 8TB USB drive is no longer recognized.

On 8/13/2016 at 4:45 AM, AdvancedSetup said:

You may want to read some of the following posts before you allow Windows 10 to update to the latest Anniversary Update.

Windows 10 Anniversary update problems, not recognizing external hdd

Unable to access external hard drive

Windows 10 fully freezes after anniversary update

Windows 10 anniversary update Megathread

I tried it and now I'm probably going to rollback as my 8TB USB drive is no longer recognized.

Did you clean install or upgrade?

I ask because, over at Ten Forums, it has been the members that got the .iso(either through MCT, or downloaded it directly from Microsoft, or nabbed the ESD just before install and created their own .iso) and clean installed the AU, had the problem with disappearing drives, or ones marked by Windows as RAW.

Till now, no one(that I know of) that upgraded through Windows Update or by mounting the .iso in File Explorer(like me on 2 physical and 1 Hyper-V VM) and upgraded, had these or other serious problems.

Edited by CliffS

Interesting.:)

There are *so many* AU trouble reports at bleeping, at tenforums, and at other venues, I had not noticed the trend.

So, it looks as if this is one instance where the "clean install" purists are being bitten in the behind?:(

Normally, the geeks and gurus insist that it's the best way to go (even as doing so can be a technical challenge for us mere mortals).  And they're probably correct.  This may be a big exception?

I think I will go the " mount the full ISO" route when I finally get around to it.  As far as I can tell, 1607 breaks more things than it fixes, so I am in no rush.

Thanks for that interesting and important update!

I know my way very well around Windows(all the tricks) but I am also a believer, one should use, and update a software, the way the developer planned it, for safer computing, and Microsoft planned that Windows Update should do it.
Some PCs get the update much later, because, there could be some kind of issue(updating the device pool), like unsigned or not properly signed drivers, which is good. How often have people gotten their driver or even modded BIOS from questionable sites and installed them along with malware.

The manufactures need to get off their digital buns and get WHQL qualified, so people can update/upgrade their PC's the way Microsoft planned.

AdvancedSetup is the disk just in File Explore not recognized, or in Disk Management too?

How about in UEFI/BIOS, is it seen there?

11 minutes ago, CliffS said:

I know my way very well around Windows(all the tricks) but I am also a believer, one should use, and update a software, the way the developer planned it, for safer computing, and Microsoft planned that Windows Update should do it.
Some PCs get the update much later, because, there could be some kind of issue(updating the device pool), like unsigned or not properly signed drivers, which is good. How often have people gotten their driver or even modded BIOS from questionable sites and installed them along with malware.

The manufactures need to get off their digital buns and get WHQL qualified, so people can update/upgrade their PC's the way Microsoft planned.

True, all true.

And we all understand that M$ cannot possibly test trillions of hardware/software configurations before shipping a Windows version.

However, this "WaaS" idea does not seem to be working very well, yet.
There was something to be said for "Black Tuesday", rather than this "whole new OS every 6 months" concept.
The testing seems inadequate, at best. 
This is especially so since M$ continues to revoke the end-user's control over their own system by degrading the user's ability to at least POSTPONE upgrades, driver updates and "bad" patches.
Given the not so distant history of bricked computers with past updates under earlier OS, users have good reason to be worried -- will the patches be worse than the security/stability problems they are supposed to fix?
We "expect" bad things from M$ with Win7, as we know they have pretty much abandoned it.
But this level of problems with Win10 is unconscionable.

The other issue is that M$ continues to ignore user feedback about basic "desktop" functionality.  For example, just when we thought they had heard us about the doG-awful START menu (1511 is tolerable), they screwed it up AGAIN for 1607. They are forcing us to use 3rd-party programs to fix what they have broken, and they do not seem to care.

And now make it even harder/impossible for users to disable Cortana, Edge and other cr@p - the force-feeding is just awful.

There seems to be an ever-larger gap between M$'s possibly lofty "intent" and the operational result in the real world for real users.

They are driving users to other platforms.

<rant off>

15 hours ago, CliffS said:

Did you clean install or upgrade?

I ask because, over at Ten Forums, it has been the members that got the .iso(either through MCT, or downloaded it directly from Microsoft, or nabbed the ESD just before install and created their own .iso) and clean installed the AU, had the problem with disappearing drives, or ones marked by Windows as RAW.

Till now, no one(that I know of) that upgraded through Windows Update or by mounting the .iso in File Explorer(like me on 2 physical and 1 Hyper-V VM) and upgraded, had these or other serious problems.

I noticed the same sort of thing, both with the Win 10 initial release and with the 1511 upgrade.

The people having most of the problems seemed to be those who had not waited for the Windows update but had gone and got the ISO and done a clean install.

Of course these are also the people who are likely to be members at tenforums, etc. and so the first to shout out.

I'm only guessing here but it seems to me likely that the ISO would be optimised for brand new, OEM kit, and so may give problems when installed on kit that is a few years old and/or custom built. (Again those doing an ISO download and clean install are likely to be the ones who have custom builds).

When done through Windows Update your system is scanned as part of the process, and the downloaded drivers etc. optimised for your particular kit, giving less problems.

As I say, I'm guessing but it makes sense to me and would explain why it seems to be those doing clean installs that have most problems.