Dell 4600 Demension

@ AdvancedSetup

Sorry about that, I had multiple interruptions all day. Thats my wife's pc with the pro ver. of mbam. (bought this month, now we have 3 pro packs) anyway! the video is sluggish

and I may have some hardware issues? Once the pc is started, the fan starts to go faster & faster and/or louder.

ex, was going to look it over, and see if there are any issues he could advise me on. She shops online and is an AOL user. and gets cashback rewards, called Ebates, which comes up as an infection :D but it just tracks her all over with cookies.

I ran 5 scanners on it and it shows clean.... any advice --I'll be graetfull for!.. but I have to go back & forth about 5 feet to get to her pc from where mine is.

Alright, since she's having video corruption issues, lets start with the obvious. Uninstall the current NVIDIA drivers and install the latest from here. Let me know if that fixes the corruption or not :) .

As far as her Autoruns, there's not a whole lot there (since she actually likes AOL and all :D ). I did notice a couple of dead service entries though so lets get rid of them:

Under HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services right-click the following entries and select DELETE:

• SupportSoft RemoteAssist
  • Symantec Core LC

After doing this stuff, let me know how it's running and whether or not the video corruption still exists.

did an Uninstall from the Device Manager/Nvidia drivers

and an install of nvidia drivers on your link!

Now there is a whole control panel for advanced changes, ie: refresh rate 75 Hertz, 72 Hertz, 70 Htz. and 60 Htz. is checked as a default

Let me know if you want that 60 Htz. moved up 1 at a time??

Below is removed as instructed:

Under HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services right-click the following entries and select DELETE:

SupportSoft RemoteAssist

Symantec Core LC

There is some improvement, still sluggish (taskbar is set on autohide) sugglish when it pops up & down

Overall performance is appx: 30 35% better.... nice work!

Ok, now disable the NVIDIA control startup the way we did on yours. Open up Autoruns and:

Under HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run Uncheck the following:
  • NvCplDaemon NVIDIA Display Properties Shell Extension we're temporarily disabling this to see if it helps with your lag

Done! do I need to re-boot?

Under HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run Uncheck the following:

NvCplDaemon NVIDIA Display Properties Shell Extension we're temporarily disabling this to see if it helps with your lag

Ah, it didn't redraw the desktop. I understand now :unsure: . Yes, that's most likely either an issue with lacking resources (ie weak video card, not enough video ram, slow GPU or CPU etc) or it's the refresh rate. After reboot, try changing the settings a little higher (next up should be either 70 or 75hz).

Ah, it didn't redraw the desktop. I understand now :unsure: . Yes, that's most likely either an issue with lacking resources (ie weak video card, not enough video ram, slow GPU or CPU etc) or it's the refresh rate. After reboot, try changing the settings a little higher (next up should be either 70 or 75hz).

its set at a default of 60 -- will kick it up. see pm please..thx.

I'm going to have to look at all you posted I'm at 72 Htrz. now slightly better

: Ah, it didn't redraw the desktop. I understand now . Yes, that's most likely either an issue with lacking resources (ie weak video card, not enough video ram, slow GPU or CPU etc) or it's the refresh rate. After reboot, try changing the settings a little higher (next up should be either 70 or 75hz).

Not sure it would be worth it, as long as it's tolerable now. You can always right click the desktop and select "Refresh" and see if that forces it to redraw the screen correctly (it should). The video card should be fairly inexpensive to replace since it's got an AGP slot (currently occupied by the 5200). You can find one cheap either online or at a PC parts store (repair shops usually have them pretty cheap). I'd look for something with around 128Mb of video ram. You don't need anything too powerful, just better than what you've got now :unsure: .