Cannot update Malwarebytes or Windows 10 updates

Hi, @bluegiraffe:

@AdvancedSetup has merged your two threads back into this one.;)

Just curious: did you have a chance to check and, if needed, change that networking setting in KTS, as mentioned in Post #25?

IFFF my suspicions based on other, similar cases are correct, then changing that one KTS setting for scanning encrypted connections *might* resolve your MBAM updating issues.

If not, please post back with a fresh set of all 3 Diagnostic Logs run from a fresh download of FRST and from mbam-check (no need to download that tool again, if you already have it on your system).

Thank you,

2 minutes ago, bluegiraffe said:

Hi Daledoc1

It's good news! I unchecked the relevent box in Kaspersky and Malwarebytes is now back up and running and updating. In view of that I have not done any more diagnostic logs. Thank you and thanks also to @LiquidTension

xx

That's GREAT!

I'm glad you were able to resolve your issue by changing that KTS setting.

I also run Kaspersky (KIS, not KTS) on at least one of my systems.  I honestly do not recall if the "always scan" or "scan if asked" setting is the default setting.  It's probably "always scan", and I probably had already changed it to "scan when asked" when I installed KIS a long while ago.

If you were running with the default KTS setting, and it was/is "always scan", then that was likely blocking MBAM from contacting the activation/update servers.

>>If you ever reinstall KTS or upgrade to a newer version, then you'll probably want to check that particular setting to be sure the appropriate option is selected.

Yes, we need to thank @LiquidTension for pointing us to this easy solution.;)

Cheers,

I have just checked KTS on another of our computers - this one runs Windows 8.1 - and KTS seems to have the option already selected - so perhaps this got changed on the computer that upgraded to 10.

I'm about to upgrade this one to 10 so I'll know what to look out for.

thanks again

Hi:

23 minutes ago, bluegiraffe said:

I have just checked KTS on another of our computers - this one runs Windows 8.1 - and KTS seems to have the option already selected - so perhaps this got changed on the computer that upgraded to 10.

I'm about to upgrade this one to 10 so I'll know what to look out for.

thanks again

I think it's probably a KTS/KIS thing, not a Windows OS thing, per se.;)

I am on Win7 with KIS2016 on my current desktop and I suspect I might experience the same "block" if I were to change that KIS setting (same as the other users reported). But I have not experimented.

I will be firing up a new Win10 system in the next few days and will be running KIS on that one, as well. So I may have a chance to test it out on that platform.

My guess is that "always scan" is the default setting on a fresh install of KIS or KTS. 
Changing it to "scan when asked" removes the silent "block" for MBAM to phone home.
The behavior may be the same, regardless of whether it's Win7, 8/8.1 or 10.
That's my working hunch....:)

Cheers,