Win 10 at it again.

sman

Win 10 crashes system with 'Faulty hardware corrupted page' BSOD error.. and that too out of the blue.. though this BSOD is a problem with all earlier versions, it's continued / carrying on the error even with it's latest Win 10 release does'nt bode good and especially when this error is seen in the system only under Win 10 and not seen with it's earlier versions.. Now, whether it's a move forward or going back with Win 10 is the point of interest..

@David H. Lipman it's an upgrade..

win 8.1 to win 10 and then win 10 to november update (ver 1511)..

no clean install so far..

-this BSOD was not there in win 8.1..

- as stated earlier, wi-fi connectivity is a problem in win 10 and now this BSOD..

- forced to use direct 'datacard' connection for network connectivity in win 10..

- when wi-fi needed, switching to 'live-cd'..

as such, there are drawbacks with win-10 & with 'live-cd' approach and have to make do with what is available..

but must say, win-10 is a greater problem with the BSOD's adding on to the problems.. 

When you do an in situ upgrade, you inherit the bugs of the previous OS.  Just like when you buy a Used Car.  However due to the Chaos factor of a complex "System of Systems", an in situ upgrade can actually exacerbate those inherited bugs.

I have always indicated to do a clean install and to never install the OS when initially released.  Wait until the first Service Pack.  Microsoft has played a game with the concept of "Service Packs" but with Windows 8, that is Windows 8.1.  With Windows 10 that is presumed to be Windows 10.1

According to the post below, you have a Acer Aspire 4736Z laptop.

This laptop only offer driver support up to Windows 7. Your laptop isn't officially compatible past that Windows version (so Windows 8, 8.1 and 10). So the answer here is really obvious: you are experiencing tons of issues under Windows 10 on your laptop because it doesn't officially support it. Simple as that.

HIf5H2Z.png

sman is creating new posts worded differently for the same issue.  I gave him him some ideas but he decided not to go with them.

Acer may not officially support Windows 10 on the laptop but the hardware may be supported by the OS.  He doesn't want to try workarounds so we get a new thread created.

@Aura I believe, MS is supposed to take care of the 'drivers' aspect with it's free upgrade offer (plug & play)..but which is problemmatic and in turn win-10 use.. (whether upgrade or of clean install )..

@David H. Lipman on wi-fi issue, i already stated about service call scheduled for 8th instant, when wi-fi card & drivers aspect would be taken up.. But meantime, this BSOD problem has also cropped up , which is a fresh issue with win-10..

Acer shows multiple mini-PCI WiFi cards used for that platform.  I suggested he buy an Intel mini-PCI WiFi card so he'll get both driver ( W10 )  and protocol ( WiFi b/g/n/etc )  compatibility.

Edited by David H. Lipman

Microsoft takes care of the "drivers" aspect in a way where it'll provide drivers for your devices if they exist under Windows 10, and prevent you from upgrading if you are using devices or drivers that are known to conflict or be incompatible with Windows 10 (same for installed programs).

@David H. Lipman I'll be taking up the issues on scheduled service and decide on the card & related drivers.. but meantime I must say that I no longer feel comfortable with Win-10 use..

@Aura I still believe, all pre-win 10 systems with earlier win versions are offered free OS upgrade by MS with all the hardwares & devices to be covered in consideration ( as most of the systems will be of pre-loaded OS with understanding between hardware manufacturers & MS).. so, IMO the issue lies with MS..

Not at all. It seems that you were mistakenly informed. Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 users are elligible to a free Windows 10 upgrade until July 29th, after which, if they want to upgrade, they'll have to buy Windows 10. The upgrade doesn't take all the hardware, nor the programs in consideration, it would simply be impossible. Why would Microsoft bother to tweak Windows 10 to support programs that were made in the 90s for Windows 3.1? This isn't progress at all. So you were either told a bunch of lies, or the you were given false information.

@Aura hardware & program compatibility are indeed checked by windows prior & post OS upgrade.. So, whatever a official confirmation by MS on the upgrade cover should put everything in place and will take up with MS to clear the air on this, which I hope you would also agree..

Or not.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows/windows-10-specifications

• To check for device compatibility and other important installation information, visit your device manufacturer’s website. Manufacturer contact information can be found on theContact Information page.
  • The upgradeability of a device includes factors beyond the system specification. This includes driver and firmware support, application compatibility, and feature support, regardless of whether or not the device meets the minimum system specification for Windows 10.

@Aura you are on the dot.. The confusion is due to MS highlighting on Win 7 / 8.1 systems as a main criteria for upgrade and 'GWX' confirmations, which led to overlooking the other factors.. I checked with ACER & MS and my gut feeling about 'even clean install' will not work is only confirmed by them that the Laptop is not compliant for Win 10.. In fact, in ACER site, the systems covered for WIN 10 upgrade and Nov update are listed and my laptop model is not covered..

I have to simply roll back to Win 7, for proper working.. which is a little hard to take..

I'm still undecided and do not know, if in-compatible OS can wreck the system..cause more damage if continued with..

I think this article http://www.cio.com/article/2972791/consumer-electronics/why-you-should-be-very-wary-of-windows-10-if-you-own-an-older-pc.html more or less sums up the problem..

quote -

"

Here's a related statement from an Acer spokeswoman:

"We will release any required BIOS updates and/or drivers for any systems on the approved list. If a product is not on the approved list, a customer may still be able to install Windows 10, but we will not release new BIOS/drivers for Windows 10, cannot guarantee it will work, etc."  

The other PC makers I reached out to shared similar sentiments.

unquote -

My advice: If your system isn't listed on the manufacturer's support page, don't even try to upgrade. Unless you purchased an extended support package, your system is likely out of warranty, and the maker may not be willing to help you out if something goes awry — and neither will Microsoft.

- unquote.

Though as far as Win 10 is concerned, things are clear, the dilemma is on how to go back to Win 7, since I'm in Multi-boot (Win 10 & Win 8.1) working of which needs older Windows version to be installed first, to keep the balance of Multi-boot.. 

I need Multi-boot, just in case either of the OS/partitions has a problem.. to be able to get back to HDD with the other working OS for which the other Win 8.1 partition is just a namesake install for this purpose, as updates are kept disabled and with just 30 GB partition size..

- Since, there is no way to install Win 7 in the Multi-boot set-up, either I have to go for complete re-wipe/re-partition of HDD and then do a fresh Multi-boot set-up starting with WIn 7 partition first and then fallback secondary OS, which will need complete backup of my HDD data/docs, not a preferred option..

- Moreover, with a Win 7 install now, one has to again face up the 'GWX' bugging from MS (till 29th Jul), to find ways to stop it from doing any auto-update, which with MS so intent on pushing thru' could be real problem in days to come...

- Or in the existing set-up, go for clean install of WIn 10 with image backup to fall back on, when problems re-surface.. 

- Or stay with 'Live-CD' option and forget HDD use (which anyway would be needing a replacement any moment)..

- But if there is a way, to dismantle the Multi-boot, by removing the secondary OS partition and making it a single primary OS boot set-up, then go for WIn 7 install may then work.. But is there a way for it? Any suggestions, please.. TIA..

OMG.. there is another problem to going back to Win 7..  As per this article.. http://www.pagestart.com/win10dbwin702021601.html 

If you upgraded from Windows 7 or 8.1 to Windows 10 then you cannot use your existing product key to re-install Windows 7 or 8.1 as it was the basis for your free upgrade to Windows 10. Therefore you must either have another unused product key and installation media or purchase another copy (OEM or Retail) version of Windows 7 or 8.1, note that anyone who offers to sell you just a product key without any installation media may be a scammer.

- unquote 

Oh .. what a mess I'm into..

57 minutes ago, sman said:

OMG.. there is another problem to going back to Win 7..  As per this article.. http://www.pagestart.com/win10dbwin702021601.html 

If you upgraded from Windows 7 or 8.1 to Windows 10 then you cannot use your existing product key to re-install Windows 7 or 8.1 as it was the basis for your free upgrade to Windows 10. Therefore you must either have another unused product key and installation media or purchase another copy (OEM or Retail) version of Windows 7 or 8.1, note that anyone who offers to sell you just a product key without any installation media may be a scammer.

- unquote 

Oh .. what a mess I'm into..

Whatever OS you upgraded from has to be replaced with a new key. It has been this way for ALL versions of windows.

If you upgraded from Windows 7 or 8.1 to Windows 10 then you cannot use your existing product key to re-install Windows 7 or 8.1 as it was the basis for your free upgrade to Windows 10. Therefore you must either have another unused product key and installation media or purchase another copy (OEM or Retail) version of Windows 7 or 8.1, note that anyone who offers to sell you just a product key without any installation media may be a scammer.

Pretty sure this is false. You can reinstall your past version of Windows using your product key without any problem.

http://www.howtogeek.com/220723/how-to-uninstall-windows-10-and-downgrade-to-windows-7-or-8.1/
http://www.windowscentral.com/how-downgrade-windows-10-windows-7