Win 10 at it again.

sman

the BSOD is back to haunt me again and have to decide fast on next course of action.. another aspect cropping up is, whether there are options to get the nov update iso, to take up 'clean install' with that.. any suggesstions, pl. TIA..

• Root Admin

If you're not running one of the larger OEM computers such as DELL, HP, Toshiba, Sony, etc and is more a homemade or custom shop build then a clean install of Windows 10 may not activate. If you're continuing to have issues my suggestion would be to revert back to Windows 7 while you still can. Then work on removing All errors and uninstall as much unneeded software as possible. Remove as much startup items as possible. Ensure that  any left over software or drivers are using the latest versions and that once again after multiple reboots all Event Logs remain clean. Then go ahead and try to Windows 10 when 7 or 8 is in pristine condition.

Tks @AS for your views.. BTW this is a ACER OEM make 'Aspire 4736z' Laptop and 'clean install' & activation of Win 10 should not be a problem, as I have already checked 'clean install' to work with another old ACER model than this one.. I  also now have the latest 'iso' of Win 10 (must be the Nov update, as it's a larger size than the initial 'iso' which was found with 'Windows Media creation tool')..

But the problems that are cropping up in WIn 10 makes one really scary & re-think on going for it again.. Apart from Wi-fi connectivity issues, BSOD's, frequent browser crashes ('Snap' state), crashes with MSCONFIG attempts at settings change, Bluetooth non-working, problems are only building up.. SFC /Scannow coming up with errors, DISM restore-health failing, all pointing to a larger problem.. Must say, Nov update is more to blame for the spiralling of issues..and also the fact that ACER brands the model as non-compliant for Win 10 upgrade. so there is every likelihood of problems cropping up even with a 'clean install'..

it then boils to going back to Win 7 (which is the OS supported by ACER for the model), still clueless as to how to dismantle the existing Multi-boot setup to a single boot one, to get Win 7 working.. (though I do have reservations about WIn 7 too, since there are more security issues to it than WIn 10)..

Or stick with 'Live-CD' which though limited in use, is less of a problem than with Windows and meets 'daily' routine work needs incl. rigors of 'Online Trading'..

So, until a way to re-install Win 7 is worked out, 'Live-CD' approach seems to be the only choice around..

Any suggestions, pl. TIA..

EDIT : with win 7, GWX bugging from MS is another aspect to contend with and a put-off to go for win 7 before Jul 29th..

Edited by sman

• Root Admin

Well unless Acer themselves fully supports that model on Windows 10 then you're in for a long haul of tweaking other drivers to try to get it to work, etc. Not a fun thing unless that's something you're into. Running Windows 7 and using a tool to prevent Windows 10 from trying to install may be the way to go.

Sorry, @AdvancedSetup I went a little off track.. your suggestion to downgrade to Win 7 (though it's now beyond the 30 days trial time and only a clean install with media is possible, hindered by existing Multi-boot setup)  and with a pristine state to go for another in situ upgrade.. but, I did the initial upgrade with a fresh installed state.. so, there is no carryover effect to the present problems with win 10 and more to do with laptop not being compatible / compliant for win 10 upgrade as per ACER and issues spiralling with Nov update..

I have literally come to accept that win 10 is not going to work (whether upgrade/clean install).. and look for ways to remove Multi-boot setup and ways to block GWX menace, to get to Win 7 (even if I like it or not, if it's Windows, it has to be win 7 only)..

until I find the solution for Win 7, 'live-cd' will continue to hold centre-stage..

PS : @AS your last reply well sums it up.. Tks..

Oh.. one more aspect, I seem to overlook is w,r,t 'live-cd' approach, which sometime back @David H. Lipman did caution about 'home netwoks' being vulnerable to worm attacks with this 'live-cd' approach.. so, this is another aspect which I need to bear in mind and keep the home network, dedicated to only 'live-cd' use and freed of other devices from the network.. thank god, the network did not face any attacks, so far..

• Root Admin

I don't know but if you're going to resort to a Live CD then speaking for myself you might as well look at running one of the Linux operating systems. Try a few of the different Live CDs they have and see which one works the best with your hardware, etc. Now days people use computers a lot differently than they use to so a Linux today might be a great solution for some.