I've read about and seen references to NOD32 on here and I know its an antivirus system, but that's about it. I was just wondering if someone could tell me a little more about it and if there is a website that they have that I could poke around on? I did a google search but it didn't come up with much at all.

Okay, thanks :D

I'm just trying to figure out what I should use in the future and what I should use/recommend for family and friends in the future as well, seems like AVG isn't as good as I thought it was :P Right now NOD32 (poked around on the website, looks good so far!), Kaspersky, and Avira look to be the best... :P

You also might ask Maniac about it, he's a NOD user and helps with support on their forum.

@ AdvancedSetup:

Thanks :P Free is good, but I am more than happy to pay too! Especially with the ever-emerging threats coming out on a seemingly daily basis.

• Staff

You'd be far better off trying to educate your friends and family about good surfing habits. All the software in the world is useless if you use P2P, open every email that pops up and so forth.

99% of the people get infected because they do something they know they ought not to. Half a wit about them and it reduces chances of infection by 75-80%.

@ TeMerc

That's true. I plan to educate them about safe surfing too :)

I don't think my friends laptop and their desktop would even have anything if McAfee didn't come with their ISP :D I had AVG free on the desktop until they decided to dl McAfee. Of course, McAfee didn't like SpyBot and later on didn't like MBAM :)

"99% of the people get infected because they do something they know they ought not to. Half a wit about them and it reduces chances of infection by 75-80%." Very true.

Thanks again :)

I had been using AVG 8.5 Free for a while, but just switched to Avira free. It is much lighter on resources and the scan only takes half as long as AVG did. Not to mention the detection rate is better. The only issues I see with Avira are the occasional false positive and right now there seems to be an update issue (i'm sure that will get sorted soon though). Just my 2 cents :D

I would like mention avast! Free:

http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html <== it requires a registration email that is good for 15 months and is only used for accounting purposes not spam

It has an excellent Web site checker and does not have a Full page pop-up whenever the virus definitions are updated and the definition and virus announcement can be changed to a female voice:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=45442.0

avast! blog:

http://blog.avast.com

@ YoKenny

Thank you! I'll check those out later on :D I've heard great things about Avast, and Avira as well.

So the free version is good for up to 15 months, and then after that you need to purchase?

@ YoKenny

Thank you! I'll check those out later on :D I've heard great things about Avast, and Avira as well.

So the free version is good for up to 15 months, and then after that you need to purchase?

Nod32 is good with detection because of their advanced heurastics but they have had a pesky feature that hog ties your system with 100% CPU usage because of the emulation and it wont release it until it is done. Other than that it is a very good anti-virus.

Kaspersky is also a good anti-virus. I run it here. But... it doesn't like Malwarebytes and always flags the new version of MBAM as a trojan because the heurastics catch it installing drives "in a hidden way". But other than that Kaspersky is great. I recommend it other than the MBAM issue.

Avast is also good for a free anti-virus. I'm pretty sure once the 15 month's are up you just re-register and you get another 15 months and not have to purchase it.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your input :) I have used AVG free in the past, and now I have a paid AVG Internet Security suite.

I honestly wish I had gone with something else (Avira, Kaspersky, or something good like that!), but at the time I thought that AVG was the best, and other than AVG, the only other AV's that I really knew anything about was Norton and McAfee and I didn't really want either one of those.

I'

Now that I have been on this forum and everything, I know I could have made a better choice. Ahh well. I'm paid till February, and then at that point probably time to get a new computer soon... but anyway. One thing that really bugs me, and I am not sure if this is just my computer or AVG but, the scan takes nearly 3 hours (sometimes less) (lots of music files on the computer though, maybe thats why) and it heats up the computer and makes the fan turn on, rather obnoxious.

I had been using AVG 8.5 Free for a while, but just switched to Avira free. It is much lighter on resources and the scan only takes half as long as AVG did. Not to mention the detection rate is better. The only issues I see with Avira are the occasional false positive and right now there seems to be an update issue (i'm sure that will get sorted soon though). Just my 2 cents :D

Thanks Roadkil!

So with Nod, is the 100% CPU usage occurring ONLY during the scan, and not when its running in the background?

Thanks for the Kaspersky warning :D I am pretty sure that Exile (who uses it also!) told me that too. All that needs to happen is to allow it under exceptions or allowed programs as far as I know. Kaspersky sounds amazing, but I really only got to know anything about it after purchasing AVG and then more about it after joining this forum.

I've heard great things about both AVAST and Avira too. Ah, that would be sweet if all you had to do was re-register for 15 more months :)

I wish I had gotten to this forum before I got to buying AVG. Ah well. Live and learn, right. I'm sure AVG is pretty good, but I think that the above four are probably better.

It does help, thank you! The more input/comments/suggestions I get, the better!

Nod32 is good with detection because of their advanced heurastics but they have had a pesky feature that hog ties your system with 100% CPU usage because of the emulation and it wont release it until it is done. Other than that it is a very good anti-virus.

Kaspersky is also a good anti-virus. I run it here. But... it doesn't like Malwarebytes and always flags the new version of MBAM as a trojan because the heurastics catch it installing drives "in a hidden way". But other than that Kaspersky is great. I recommend it other than the MBAM issue.

Avast is also good for a free anti-virus. I'm pretty sure once the 15 month's are up you just re-register and you get another 15 months and not have to purchase it.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Roadkil!

So with Nod, is the 100% CPU usage occurring ONLY during the scan, and not when its running in the background?

Thanks for the Kaspersky warning :D I am pretty sure that Exile (who uses it also!) told me that too. All that needs to happen is to allow it under exceptions or allowed programs as far as I know. Kaspersky sounds amazing, but I really only got to know anything about it after purchasing AVG and then more about it after joining this forum.

I've heard great things about both AVAST and Avira too. Ah, that would be sweet if all you had to do was re-register for 15 more months :)

I wish I had gotten to this forum before I got to buying AVG. Ah well. Live and learn, right. I'm sure AVG is pretty good, but I think that the above four are probably better.

It does help, thank you! The more input/comments/suggestions I get, the better!

No problem. The 100% usuage happens when it scans random file when the system is idle "I think" That's what it did to be and hogtied the system where you couldn't do ANYTHING until it decided to release the CPU. That's why I switched to Kaspersky. Like I said, the only compliant I have is that it flags MBAM as a trojan when it updates to a new version, other than that it is a first rate program and I still recommend it even tho they are being douche bags to MBAM. I just keep adding to the exclusion list. =) Glad to help.

@ Roadkil

:)

Ah. NOD32 sounds quite annoying - for only that 100% CPU usage thing. I used Spyware Doctor until I learned about and found MBAM, and Soyware Doctor was a huge system hog and slowed down my system horribly (which really ticked off my husband too). I was able to get a refund though, so that was good :D

I understand why Kaspersky flags MBAM now, but I'm sure that must be super annoying. Exclusion list! That's the word I was looking for.

Do you have the PRO version of MBAM or the free one? I used the free version for oh about three months, and I bought the PRO version recently.

Thanks again!

One thing I really like about Kaspersky is the scan engine, once you've scanned a file once future scans of that file are very fast because KAV remembers that it was clean and will only thoroughly check the file again if it has been modified, this makes full computer scans go faster with time :D . As far as the MBAM issue, yeah it comes up each time the installer for a new version of MBAM runs due to the way it installs its driver. KAV pops up with a red box and you click "Add to exclusions" or "Allow" and the install will finish without further issues :) .