Microsoft flips, then flops, on Windows 10 Fall Update

Firefox

Microsoft flips, then flops, on Windows 10 Fall Update

Microsoft has been pulling strange Windows 10 patching shenanigans over the past week. What's really going on at Redmond?

Late on the afternoon of Friday, Nov. 20, without any announcement or warning, Microsoft pulled the Windows 10 version 1511 bits from its Media Creation Tool site. Prior to the takedown, the MCT would either install or create a file that would let you install Windows 10 version 1511 (a.k.a. Threshold 2, build 10586.0, Fall Update). After the takedown, the MCT would install or let you create a file that would let you install only the old, original "RTM" Windows 10, build 10240.

At the same time, I started seeing more reports that the Windows Update upgrade to Windows 10 build 1511 wasn't available through Windows Update. People on the RTM build couldn't install the Threshold 2 update, and it wasn't being pushed. Microsoft may or may not have pulled the 1511 installer from Windows Update. It's very hard to verify one way or the other because (as best I can tell) none of this is documented...........

Full story can be found on InfoWorld Website HERE

I wish I had taken notes, because I don't remember how it happened. I fired up the W10 laptop one day (?) and it needed to reboot to install updates ; got a few updates done and that seemed like all it was, a few updates. Then it acted funny, froze, and I had to force a shutdown. On restart, I had the window you get with major updates installing, and it was 1511.

My other W10 is a VM, so a day or two later I decided to update it as well. WU said it was up to date, so I got it to do a new update search : same, nothing offered. I thought they decided my activated VM was no longer activated or something, so I went reading, found a few threads about the same problem and installing via MCT, got MCT (forget the date...) and it installed 1511 right up for me.

A few days later, I heard they pulled 1511 from the MCT but it returned to WU quickly. Apparently not...

I had no troubles at alle ik starts almost on the day the release was anounced and all went by itself, my desktop and day after my notebook. 

My dektop was currently over the wifi so the update stuck on 98% but than I plugged the lan cable in and it continues and every thing went fine.

It cost me almost the same time as the first upgrade on my laptop.

You do have to connect a notebook or netbook with the lan cable and also to the power.

And a desktop over wifi also connect it ( temporarly ) with a cable.

I wish I had taken notes, because I don't remember how it happened. I fired up the W10 laptop one day (?) and it needed to reboot to install updates ; got a few updates done and that seemed like all it was, a few updates. Then it acted funny, froze, and I had to force a shutdown. On restart, I had the window you get with major updates installing, and it was 1511.

My other W10 is a VM, so a day or two later I decided to update it as well. WU said it was up to date, so I got it to do a new update search : same, nothing offered. I thought they decided my activated VM was no longer activated or something, so I went reading, found a few threads about the same problem and installing via MCT, got MCT (forget the date...) and it installed 1511 right up for me.

A few days later, I heard they pulled 1511 from the MCT but it returned to WU quickly. Apparently not...

Ain't fair Mark, I want the Update as well :P I want to install it via Windows Update and see it crashes, so I can investigate why it crashes on so many systems when you try to install it via Windows Update.

So my laptop successfully upgraded to Windows 10 Upgrade 1511 (10586.17). Took around an hour (starting from Windows Update), and it didn't hang once. Cortana is now available. The only difference between my laptop and my desktop is that the initial installation was in French (Canada). No idea if it made a difference or not, but it looks like it did.