MBAM System Tray Icon Disappears After Scheduled Threat Scan

I have installed the latest version of MBAM on a brand new Windows 7 Professional 64 bit laptop and for 4 days the program has been working flawlessly. After ever scheduled threat scan the MBAM system tray icon would remain after a successful threat scan. But just a few hours ago, the tray icon started disappearing after a threat scan. In order to bring it back to the system tray I have to double click on the MBAM desktop icon to open and the close the program and the tray icon would reappear. Can anyone help me to fix the problem of the disappearing tray icon?

Thank you,

Richard Harold

Hello:

If this were the Free version, then what you describe is normal behavior.
MBAM Free is a manual, on-demand scanner.
There is no real-time protection.
So, there will be no icon in the system tray when a scan finishes.

If it is MBAM Premium, as your post suggests, then I suggest that you verify that you have Windows configured to show the icon.
Click the white triangle shown in the attached screen shot > "Customize".
Locate the MBAM icon in the list and select "Show icon and notifications".

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/293-notification-area-icons-hide-show-system-icons-notifications.html

If that does not resolve the issue, then please do the following:

• Please follow the steps in this pinned topic to uninstall your current version of MBAM and reinstall the latest build - MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x
  • If that does not correct the issue, then please read the following and post back attached to your next reply the 3 requested logs - Diagnostic Logs (the 3 logs are: FRST.txt, Addition.txt and CheckResults.txt)
  • NOTE: There is an FAQ section with valuable information located here - Common Questions, Issues, and their Solutions

Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

post-29793-0-64061700-1415511182_thumb.p

I have MBAM Premium. The problem of the disappearing system tray icon must have been a one time anomaly. It occurred after a scheduled threat scan while my computer was making a disc image backup of my system on an external hard drive. Since this one time occurrence, all scheduled threat scans have completed successfully with NO disappearing system tray icon. I am very sorry to have bothered you. Thanks for your help anyway.

Glad it is resolved.

For the record, it wouldn't generally be a good idea to be performing a disk image at the same time as a malware/virus scan. 

I would suggest postponing or rescheduling those tasks, such that they are not occurring simultaneously.

Also, a daily Threat scan is more than sufficient. 

Thanks,

The disappearing system tray icon after a threat scan now continues to happen even after I performed a clean uninstall and restart two times and reinstalled MBAM. I have attached the 3 requested txt files. What do they tell you about the problem? Can you fix the problem permanently?

Thanks a lot!

Richard

FRST.txt

Addition.txt

CheckResults.txt

Hello:

Please be patient and wait for a staff member or expert to review your logs.

The forum is very busy, and most of the helpers are volunteers.

The staff members cannot be here 24/7/365.

You did not confirm that you checked to be sure that the icon is not hidden in the notification area, as advised here:

<snip>
If it is MBAM Premium, as your post suggests, then I suggest that you verify that you have Windows configured to show the icon.
Click the white triangle shown in the attached screen shot > "Customize".
Locate the MBAM icon in the list and select "Show icon and notifications".
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/293-notification-area-icons-hide-show-system-icons-notifications.html

If that doesn't explain the issue, and if performing a proper clean reinstall of MBAM doesn't fix the problem, then that suggests something else is broken on the system.

Perhaps the Windows icon cache may have been damaged or corrupted.

Your logs show that you have a registry "cleaner" installed -- such programs are of no value (especially on a brand new computer), and can cause more damage than they "fix".  So perhaps that program damaged the Windows icon cache?

There are some external links at the Microsoft and sevenforums.com sites to fix that sort of issue, but it would probably be best to wait until a staff member reviews your logs.

EDIT: Your checkresults.txt log also shows that the system needs to be restarted (rebooted) to complete the installation process.

BTW: Your logs appear to show that you have MBAM scheduled to check for updates every 5 minutes and to run scheduled Threat scans every hour.

Is that correct?

Thanks,

post-29793-0-26449300-1415620750_thumb.p

Thank you for your reply. To answer your questions: I checked that the icon is NOT hidden in the notification area. Yes, MBAM is scheduled as you have stated. Which registry cleaner are you referring to? I do not have a one purpose registry cleaner program installed. Some programs have an optional registry cleaner as a part of the program, but I can choose not to run it. Which program(s) were you talking about?I will be patient and wait for a staff member or expert to review my logs and to offer further advice. Best regards!

This is the registry cleaner:

Wise Care 365 3.32 (HKLM-x32\...\Wise Care 365_is1) (Version: 3.32 - WiseCleaner.com, Inc.)

As for your scheduler settings, I'll leave that to the staff to advise you, in the context of your diagnostic logs.

While it's not clear if those scheduler settings directly contribute to the abnormal behavior you are seeing (e.g. by corrupting your MBAM installation or the Windows icon cache), they are certainly excessive and are not recommended.

Take care,

Wise Care 365 is a multipurpose cleaning/repair tool that has many different features. I do NOT use the ONE feature called Registry Cleaner. I had heard this story about registry cleaners before from a different website. Thanks for your advice. Take care.

Addendum: I just checked another multipurpose program called Norton Utilities 16 and I found that one of its many features was a registry cleaner which I just turned off. So it has cleaned my registry once every day for the last 5 days. I hope no damage has occurred. What do you think?

There is no need to run Norton Utilities and/or Wise Care 365 daily as this is only going to corrupt your system eventually.  If anything I may run them once a month (without cleaning our the registry) but if your system is running fine, there is no need.

As for the scheduler, you should check for updates say once an hour, and only do a threat scan daily/weekly.  Doing threat scans once every hour means you are checking your drive 24 times a day.  That is some strain your putting on your hard drive.  You are going to wear it out.

Perform a Clean re-install of Malwarebytes and configure it as I mentioned.  Update once every hour, and threat scan daily.  That is all

Perform a Clean re-install of Malwarebytes and configure it as I mentioned.  Update once every hour, and threat scan daily.  That is all

Good idea!

And if that doesn't resolve your issue, then there is probably something else amiss on your system (Windows icon cache or something else).

There are simply no other reports here in the forum of disappearing system tray icons after scheduled scans.

If you prefer to seek free help via email instead of here, you may wish to contact to contact the Help Desk here:  Contact Consumer Support

Perhaps they can run deeper probes of your system and/or replicate the behavior you describe in the lab.

Thanks,

daledoc 1 and Firefox,

I have done a clean uninstall of MBAM twice and rebooted each time. I have reinstalled MBAM and set it up as you have recommended. I will stop using all registry cleaners. For now, I will continue to use this forum for help until you tell me otherwise. I have set MBAM to run ONCE today at 10:00 AM EST and then once again every 24 hours. I will let you know if the system tray icon disappears again after the completion of a successful Threat Scan. Thanks for the advice! Best regards.

UPDATE: Once a day Threat Scans ran successfully for FOUR days WITHOUT the system tray MBAM icon disappearing. Today's 10:00 AM EST scan completed successfully BUT the system tray icon disappeared afterwards. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday scans worked with NO system tray icon disappearing. Do you have any idea what could possibly be the problem for this random (infrequent) disappearance? Any help that you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Richard

Hi:

Most likely some sort of software conflict or a problem on your system.
Impossible to say without more information.

Please read the following and post back attached to your next reply the 3 requested logs - Diagnostic Logs (the 3 logs are: FRST.txt, Addition.txt and CheckResults.txt)

NOTE: If you have previously run FRST on this same computer, please place a check mark in the "Addition.txt" option before running FRST.

Thanks,

Pleas follow daledoc1,s instructions but I will toss in one observation. These programs have the potential to cause all kinds of weird issues with your computer and most do not recommend using these types of programs.

Norton Utilities 16 (HKLM-x32\...\Norton Utilities 16_is1) (Version: 16.0 - Symantec Corporation)

Wise Care 365 3.32 (HKLM-x32\...\Wise Care 365_is1) (Version: 3.32 - WiseCleaner.com, Inc.)
Wise System Monitor 1.26 (HKLM-x32\...\Wise System Monitor_is1) (Version: 1.26 - WiseCleaner.com, Inc.)

Sorry I just reread the thread and saw that you turned off the registry  part of the programs.

Have you set mutual exclusions in Norton and MBAM?

The screen shot below shows how to add the AV folder to MBAM exclusions.
The text below lists the MBAM files to exclude in your AV.

Thanks,
----------------

Please exclude the following files from your Antivirus Software for your version of Windows:

For 32 bit versions of Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 & Windows 8:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamdor.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbampt.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamscheduler.exe

For 64 bit versions of Windows Vista or Windows 7 & 8:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamdor.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbampt.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware \mbamscheduler.exe

Note: If you are using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall,

you'll need to exclude MBAM.EXE and MBAMSERVICE.EXE from it as well.

Note: Once that's done, please make sure that if either of those programs has any sort of

web filter, that you add the following as a trusted site:

data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

Attached Images
  • post-29793-0-75271800-1415969334.png

Once again, the 2 most likely explanations are a software conflict (either with Norton or some other program), or something amiss on your system.

(There are no other reports from other users about this issue, especially on a new, Win7 system.)

There's no harm in setting the exclusions.

(I'm sorry, but I mistakenly assumed that, as an Honorary Member with so many previous problems with your XP system, that you already had done that before you even reported this issue).

Then, please wait for AdvancedSetup or another staffer to formally review the logs and to make additional recommendations.

Thanks,