Malwarebytes V2 is causing BSOD on my computer.

Hello,

I have ran Malwarebytes for quite some time.

It has always run flawlessly, however after the recent release of v2, whenever I run a scan on the whole disk encrypted drive (the second mounted drive, not C:), it BSOD.

This never happened with the previous version of Malwarebytes.

I tested and I can run a threat scan, custom scan and hyper scan on the c: without a single problem, the MINUTE I choose the x: on the custom scan (even if I do nothing  else), it BSODs.

I had to uninstall and move back to the old version for the time being.

Any ideas on how to fix? Or is this a bug being worked on?

Thanks.

Hello and :welcome:

Let's try this first....

Thank You,

Firefox

Okay, I did the clean removal process and reinstall and am getting the exact same problem.

Here are the diagnostic logs as promised.

Also I did notice that it doesn't GET to the drive to scan, it fails during the pre-scan optimization (or whatever it says as it is getting ready).

Attached are the three logs as requested.

I went ahead and downgraded back to the old version, I do need a protection piece that won't BSOD my device, once there are some valid options to try I can test them out however.

I much prefer the new interface.

Thanks.

Addition.txt

CheckResults.txt

FRST.txt

Hello Vorteth:

We apologize for the wait.

In a reply to this topic, please zip and attach the following Minidump files from your system:

C:\Windows\Minidump\060414-13296-01.dmp
C:\Windows\Minidump\060414-14546-01.dmp

Please preserve the remaining dump files as well as the C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP file for possible later requests.

Staffers will be asked to look into your system's 0x0000001e BugChecks and 0x40000015 exception.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

• Staff

Hello,

I have ran Malwarebytes for quite some time.

It has always run flawlessly, however after the recent release of v2, whenever I run a scan on the whole disk encrypted drive (the second mounted drive, not C:), it BSOD.

This never happened with the previous version of Malwarebytes.

I tested and I can run a threat scan, custom scan and hyper scan on the c: without a single problem, the MINUTE I choose the x: on the custom scan (even if I do nothing  else), it BSODs.

I had to uninstall and move back to the old version for the time being.

Any ideas on how to fix? Or is this a bug being worked on?

Thanks.

Hello Vorteth, you mentioned that your drive is encrypted. Judging by the FRST log it looks like TrueCrypt, is this correct?

Hello Vorteth:

We apologize for the wait.

In a reply to this topic, please zip and attach the following Minidump files from your system:

C:\Windows\Minidump\060414-13296-01.dmp

C:\Windows\Minidump\060414-14546-01.dmp

Please preserve the remaining dump files as well as the C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP file for possible later requests.

Staffers will be asked to look into your system's 0x0000001e BugChecks and 0x40000015 exception.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Hello,

I will get you the requested files on June 10th, unfortunately some circumstances beyond my control are keeping me busy this weekend (wedding preparations heh).

Hello Vorteth, you mentioned that your drive is encrypted. Judging by the FRST log it looks like TrueCrypt, is this correct?

Hello,

Yes, I am running TrueCrypt which is keeping my secondary drive fully encrypted.

I have a suspicion that this is the culprit.

Thank you to you BOTH, I will get you those logs on the 10th, please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with in the mean time.

• Staff

Thank you for reporting this Vorteth, I have successfully replicated this behavior and will bring it to the devs attention.

TrueCrypt is definitely the culprit.  I was only able to replicate the BSOD when I mounted the encrypted drive and ran a custom scan on it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Root Admin

The issue appears to be that you have a non OS encrypted drive and currently scanning non OS drives encrypted with TrueCrypt can cause errors or even BSOD. We are continuing to investigate the cause. For now I would recommend that you do not do antirootkit scans on the non OS drive and that should correct the error for you until a solution is found.

Thanks