Strange one

Please exclude the following files from your Antivirus Software (not sure what version of you are using):

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude them from it as well

For Windows XP:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbampt.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamscheduler.exe

For Windows Vista or Windows 7 & 8:
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbampt.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamscheduler.exe

For 64 bit versions of Windows Vista or Windows 7 & 8:
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbampt.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware \mbamscheduler.exe
Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude MBAM.EXE and MBAMSERVICE.EXE from it as well

Note: Once that's done, please make sure that if either of those programs has any sort of web filter, that you add the following as a trusted site:

data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

The FAQ contains examples of setting file exclusions for some known AV products

Please post back and let us know how it went.

After upgrading to version 2.00 this morning, I'm happy to say MBAM isn't interfering with my Seagate external hard drive anymore. MBAM, ESET and Seagate can co-exist peacefully now. :) Was the issue really addressed and part of the release, or is this purely coincidence?

That's excellent news, I didn't realize you weren't already using 2.0, but yes, there were many compatibility issues we worked on and attempted to resolve in version 2.0, but I was not certain if this was one of the ones that got fixed or not, but based on your findings, it appears that it was :).

That's excellent news, I didn't realize you weren't already using 2.0, but yes, there were many compatibility issues we worked on and attempted to resolve in version 2.0, but I was not certain if this was one of the ones that got fixed or not, but based on your findings, it appears that it was :).

Well thank you for those fixes in version 2.0! They worked like a charm.

No, I wasn't aware version 2.0 was out. I was used to getting new versions pushed by MBAM itself. This time, there wasn't any notification whatsoever.

Well thank you for those fixes in version 2.0! They worked like a charm.

No, I wasn't aware version 2.0 was out. I was used to getting new versions pushed by MBAM itself. This time, there wasn't any notification whatsoever.

If you weren't aware of MBAM 2.0 being released you may have other software on your computer that you are not aware of new updates being released.  You may want to consider installing an update notiticaton program like Secunia or FileHippo Update Checker.  Using old versions of software can pose a security risk. 

If you weren't aware of MBAM 2.0 being released you may have other software on your computer that you are not aware of new updates being released.  You may want to consider installing an update notiticaton program like Secunia or FileHippo Update Checker.  Using old versions of software can pose a security risk. 

I would have been aware rather soon through MBAM Pro's own updater. It was just a matter of time, and I was still protected.

I always keep critical applications fully updated, like Java, Flash, ESET, SpywareBlaster... and keep Windows updated, at least until April 8... I don't need one more program working in the background.

Standard software do not need to be updated if it's in perfect working order and does the job for which you've installed it in the first place. The same goes for drivers. New doesn't necessarily mean better. As the saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". The guy who first came up with that expression should get a statue in his name right next to the statue of Liberty! Microsoft could most certainly learn a thing or two from that guy... I don't care about the risks, I' staying with XP as long as I can! I won't do online shopping or banking with that computer, and I have full image backups and my precious data is saved in a couple of different medias. I also have a Windows 7 laptop that I hate as hell! Nothing will ever come close to XP for me. It's simple and it works!

Thanks to all and have a good day!

True, but a large number of unpatched or not updated programs can also open your system up to vulnerabilities.  it is also helpful b/c then you can kill other processes that keep themselves updated b/c that means they, too, are running processes in the background checking for updates.  I've set Adobe Flash player to never check for an update, Java to never check for an update, and use either of the two programs I mentioned to check for updates manually, thereby saving me 4 programs (flash player ActiveX and Flash player for other browsers, and Java JRE 32bit and JAVA JRE 64 bit) from running in the background.

It goes a long way when you can disable all the 'check for updates automatically' for all your software to have a lot more resources available in the long run.  The down side is that you have to make it a habit to check for updates manually, but I personally prefer that method rather than having 17 programs running in the background wasting resources for absolutely no gain.

Also true.

I do disable most of the 'check for updates automatically'. However, I keep more critical applications automatically updated or ask them to prompt me. I particularly like the Alternative Flash Auto-Updater. It can alert you as soon as a new Flash update is available on the Adobe servers, way before Flash actually updates (after a reboot - some people never turn off their computer...). The program will ask you if it can install Flash for IE, Firefox or other browsers. It's very light on system resources and updates Flash painlessly.