Progress bar?

Salihb

Hello Malwarebytes

First of all i'd like to say thanks for a GREAT product. It's recommended almost everywhere, and even on Symantecs forum everybody recommends using your scanner HAHA :D. Anyways lets get on topic. I have been using your application for a small amount of time and i think its great but there is just one small detail which is missing... A Progress Bar. It would be GREAT to get a progress bar that shows when it's done scanning. This shouldn't be that hard to create afaik. MBAM could start by scanning how many files there are on the disk and then start canning the whole computer. That way it will know how many files there are to scan and will show a progress bar for how many % it has scanned :D?

I think that would be a great addition since i don't know how many files i have on the particular computer AND if malwarebytes show how many files there are and how much it has scanned it could even create an ETA on when it would be done scanning right :)?

Please add such a feature in any upcoming version of malwarebytes. Even i recommend your products to other people that got infected while having another Security application installed. (In a good way of course :) )

• Staff

Hi Salihb and welcome to the forums.

I guess no one seems to share the need for your suggestion and that's why the lack of reply from anyone.

Generally, employees will wait for users to react to suggestions to gage interest. If they think it's a good idea they can chime in too, we encourage all to participate in improving our product. Without that participation we wouldn't be near as good a product as we are.

So thanks for taking the time to make the suggestion, lets see if anyone else likes it.

I for one don't find a need for a progress bar. I've never seen one that's very accurate at all on any software. The display of what files are being scanned is enough for me.

Sorry Salihb, I did see this topic and thought about it a lot, but I have to agree with TeMerc on this one. Most progress bars are notoriously inaccurate and seem to serve little purpose. In particular, it would be difficult with MBAM because of the way the heuristics scan at the end of the scanning process works. It scans all the files in certain locations on the hard drive and I don't think it does any kind of calculations on how many files and directories are there before it starts. Among other places, it checks System32, Temp folders and the Desktop and heaven knows there can be a massive variation on the number of files and folders in those locations alone, not to mention the other locations the quick scan checks. If it did do an estimate before scanning it just seems that it would make the entire scan process take that much longer just to do a calculation based on the sizes of all the locations to be scanned. Over all the average I've seen for most is between 2 and 15 minutes for a quick scan, depending on hardware, the number of running processes and the total number of files and folders that exist in the locations it checks. If a quick scan ever takes a whole lot longer thant that there is usually a conflict with something else that's running that's slowing it up or there is malware or a problem with the installation, and of course the possibility of a corrupt file system or bad hard drive.

I see... Well it was just a suggestion anyways... At least if there was a number showing how many files i had, i would know approximately when the scan would finish or how long there is left. For example MBAM is scanning file number 40.347. If it had done a fast scan of how many files there were located in the harddrive it would show me that there were about 120.000 files. That was i know it has scanned 40k files and it needs to scan 80k more. With that in mind i can do rest of the calculations myself. 40k files in 15 minutes = approximately 30 minutes before the scan is finished.

When i got all this information in my head i can start working more efficient instead of wasting too much time either being away from the computer for too long or sitting and looking at the scan process until it's done.

My work is to clean peoples computer and your software is a great tool so it would make it much easier knowing how many files there are or a progress bar that gives an estimate. At least i think it makes my job easier... More work done, less time wasted :P. :P

• Staff
That way* i know it has scanned 40k files and it needs to scan 80k more.
The only problem I see with a 'count' is that it would change every minute. Temp files are created on the fly and would increase the overall number. So there'd be no real way of doing that, unless you limit the areas you intend to include in that count.

Especially when you consider that many people continue working while scans are in progress.

A progress bar would be a nice additional feature, but I think that the team should keep up their great job focusing on their definitions and improving the other aspects of the program rather than adding the small things like that.

Just my two cents. :P

Regards,

Adam

CCleaner did away with its Progress bar in its latest update and just has a revolving arrow indicating that it is running and I like that much better.

I don't mind watching the seconds tick away in Quick scan as it is quite fast on the systems I have.

The one feature I do not like in CCleaner is Wipe Free Space as that could cause problems if not used correctly as it requires user patience to let it complete and if interrupted could leave the hard drive full with a useless file that has to be removed manually.

I join those who see no real need for a progress bar. It is quite true that such a device is not really useful for the size that it occupies. As to inaccuracy, that is also a good reason. I have seen several other applications that do have a counter. They are fairly accurate and do not require that much additional code to implement (or do they).

This user is actually very satisfied with the performance of MBAM and has put it on every machine that my friends have. This program and Spybot S&D are my first line of defense, along with an AV, and so far so good. Keep up the good work developers!

CCleaner did away with its Progress bar in its latest update and just has a revolving arrow indicating that it is running and I like that much better.

CCleaner actually made a better progress bar in their newest release (2.17). The great thing about this progress bar is that it ends when it is supposed to end, and doesn't keep going from left to right in the previous versions. The progress bar that CCleaner has in 2.17 would be a GREAT addition to MBAM... Just my opinion :P. But of course if it is hard in any way to make this happen or that it would take too much time, please use the time on the definitions instead :P. Great product btw :P.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if a progress bar is worth it. Whether on estimated time (guessing at best IMO) or number of files scanned vs number file total (too much variation in file sizes). The only real indicator I have ever liked is the one in NT backup. Number of bytes backed up vs number of total bytes to backup. I doubt MBAM would want to do this as it require it to add up all files sizes before starting the scan and it doesn't take into account the heuristic scan afterwards. Still number of bytes processed vs total number bytes to process is the only true indicator of progress as far as I am concerned.

But when doing the quick scan the time is usually under 10 minutes so I don't really consider that time consuming when compared to some AV programs that seem to take 30 minutes or longer to scan a new install of XP. And they all think they need to do this as soon as you install them. (Sorry for the tangential rant but hey...)

The only place where I miss a progress bar is in "Windows Defragmentation"

With my old Windows XP I use to like watching as my hard drive was defragmented.

With the Vista System it doesn't give you any clue as to progress at all.