Opinions of CA Internet Security Suite

exile360

Nope, you don't need a license key, it's just asking in case you're actually using the removal tool to uninstall an older version in order to upgrade to a newer one. Since you're only removing it from your system and not reinstalling, no key is needed. It does however require you to enter the code in the box that it randomly generates to start the removal process (this is to prevent malware makers from loading SymNRT onto Norton users' systems and using it in an automated way to remove their protection).

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exile:

thanks!

Oh darn! There was no box :/ Oh wait you mean on a box in the computer? not like a package box? I haven't eaten too much today so my mind isn't working too well :P

Eak!! That's scary about the malware makers. So uninstall, reboot, then download the SymNRT and enter the code, do what it says, and I am good to go?

Exile:

Thanks! I'll do it as soon as I get home.

I hope I am not bothering you tonight. You are just so helpful and I have a lot of questions that you know the answer to!

Unfortunately I don't know of a cleanup program for PCTools, other than one that specifically removes ThreatFire. If there is one, their support staff will either send it to you if you ask or give you a link to download it. It most likely didn't damage the other security programs though. I generally see few actual conflicts with PCTools, just the slowness which is a big reason I don't usually recommend it. As far as the other issues, you could always just try downloading and installing Spyware Doctor Starter Edition (which is free) or the trial version of the full version and see if it detects it and get back with Miekie on what it finds.

Exile:

Thanks. I'll try asking them at some point. Right now I'll just worry about Norton and working on some of the computer clean up and things that AdvancedSetup gave to me :P

Thanks! Do you know if the starter edition is the most up to date? I know that Spyware Doctor just updated to version 6.0, and I think that I had bought 5.5.

K :D So you don't think it would hurt to download it and try it again? Just a little concerned about downloading, installing, uninstalling so many times. I've done it with Spyware Doctor maybe 2-3 times and the Security Suite maybe 4-5 times. Eck.

Exile:

I uninstalled Norton Security Center, restarted, and then I went to uninstall the Liveupdate Component, and this message popped up, which I have attached to my message as a screen shot.

I didn't run the removal tool yet because I wanted to ask you what you think about this message. I didn't uninstall the live update yet either but I figure that that probably would be the best route.

Thanks again!

AdvancedSetup:

Should I just go ahead an uninstall the Liveupdate that I took a screen shot of? That is the only thing that is left on the computer that I am able to see in the control panel, and then I was going to run the tool that Exile gave me. Should I run the tool that he gave me or the one that you gave me or both? Oh wait, you didn't give me a tool, just the name of the file. Sorry, I am getting a little mixed up.

Yes, you can uninstall it. It just shows further evidence as to why they had to make a removal tool to begin with, even it thinks there's still other parts still installed. It's most likely detecting leftover files and/or registry entries (which should all be removed by the removal tool).

Thank you Exile!

Will do so tonight :P

Yes, you can uninstall it. It just shows further evidence as to why they had to make a removal tool to begin with, even it thinks there's still other parts still installed.

Exile:

I foolishly forgot to check what year my product was. I think it was Norton Security Suite 2005. It was really old.

also, the page is asking me to find the product key before I download the clean up tool :/

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgen...&view=docid

When I went to remove the LiveUpdate tonight, it said I already had it running. I closed that and was going to take a screen shot for you, but then it let me uninstall it the second time without telling me that again.

I am not sure what to do.

Should I just skip to step 3?

Yes, just skip to step 3 because you aren't reinstalling Norton anyway (and I'm sure it's long expired by now anyway). They just provide that info about backing up your key in case you were removing an old version to install a new version to make sure you don't lose your license key (which would mean you would have to buy it again if you were a Norton subscriber).

Thanks again! I thought I had to do all of that removal or not. The link I gave you, at the bottom where it has the download for the tool,

says it removes "The Norton Removal Tool uninstalls all Norton 2008/2007/2006/2005/2004/2003 products and Norton 360 from your computer. If you use ACT! or WinFAX, back up those databases before you proceed."

So I guess that that should cover whatever was installed on the computer. I just checked another version and the same thing was said on Step 3, so I guess it doesn't matter too much which one I click on, but I'll go with the one that actually says 2005.

Agreed, you don't want to have two actual anti-viruses installed at the same time, it may not always cause problems, but it does have the potential to. As far as fighting being disabled, the pro version does have this, that's why it uses a system level service and driver, it makes it much harder to kill. As far as the free version, there is no sure way because its process simply gets blocked by name, but there are workarounds for this however when dealing with such an advanced infection it is advisable to seek expert help because getting the tools to be able to run is usually only half the battle.

I've not used it because I have an iMac but, everyone I know who uses NOD32 raves about it. Check it out at www.eset.com

• 7 months later...

I'm happy to announce that the evil reign of CA IS is over on our work computer as the license expired and my boss purchased NIS 2010. It may not be the greatest, but the computer runs 100x faster now and doesn't give me issues like CA did any more :) . I did have to kill that silly Norton toolbar though :) .

I used CA Internet Security for about 2 years, this was back in 2003, the interface was solid and the engine worked. I then went out and purchased the next year's update, it was decent, but they changed the engine and interface a goo deal. The next year's version I requested a refund on due to the fact it would block a program from communicating with another program I often used ( it was a game, and the tool added additional features to the game ) it would crash the both program because of the conflict.

I went out and got Microsoft's OneCare program I used that for a year, stop using it after a year, I forget the reason. I also used BitDefender but didn't upgrade to the newest version ( used 2008 and 2009 ) because icon would at times not show itself.

I am currently using NOD32's product, and except for the fact it does not update the actually installation ( only the database ) its a great product. You have to reinstall the entire product to upgrade the client itself.

Strangely everyone that I know that works for a company (about 14 different companys, some very large and important) bar one has Mcafee installed on the works network the other has Symantic, Seems like in Britain its better the devil you know!

I once helped out a friend clean out a frighteningly infested machine who was running CA, a full scan with week old definitions with CA (updating wasn't possible due to no internet) found 0 infections.

Loaded up Malwarebytes, found 90 malicious files. (without updating)

Managed to get net back, updated both CA and Malwarebytes, CA again found nothing, Malwarebytes found another 13 infections after being updated.

I think those results speak for themselves, CA is rubbish

I'm happy to announce that the evil reign of CA IS is over on our work computer as the license expired and my boss purchased NIS 2010. It may not be the greatest, but the computer runs 100x faster now and doesn't give me issues like CA did any more :) . I did have to kill that silly Norton toolbar though :D .

Mine is about to expire too, we are looking into replacing it as well.... I have a ticket open with a problem I am having with CA and its been open for 6 months, they still have not fixed my issue.... Lots of folks are having the issue to and still no fix.

We fixed it with a group policy, but that's really not the way to fix it, CA should fix their program. All I needed was a delayed start but NOOOOO they could not do that..... Or wont better said, they say the program is not capable of doing that.... Hog wash I say.