Opinions of CA Internet Security Suite

exile360

I just wanted to get opinions (especially from experts and such) on CA Internet Security Suite if used as the only protection on a PC. I don't want a comparison to other AV's or anything, I just want to know if you guys think it's good or not and whether or not it's worth using. I have my own opinions, but I want to hear yours, thanks :D .

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My information is secondhand, however CA Antivirus used to be VET antivirus and like the others here I have heard it is the worst of the worst. However, I have also heard that it is not as targeted by malicious tools as other AVs are. As long as you don't do silly surfing, you should still be right using it. That is my understanding.

• 3 weeks later...

Since it came free with my Roadrunner cable I have been using it with no problems. Kind of weak on trojan detections (but which AV isn't?) but otherwise it gets the job done. The firewall can be slow to pull up if you want to change settings and I have had problems updating software that needs to contact the Internet after upgrading due to slow response from the firewall for permission of the changed app to access the Internet (Adobe, and yes Malwarebytes updates). Other than that I find it to be no worse than McAfee or Norton. Like ZoneAlarm I think it's interface is easier to navigate and understand than either of those.

We had been using VET as our antivirus on our '98 machine, and when we upgraded to XP in 066 (yes, thats right... 2006!) we were using the CA suite. It was crap. I can't speak much for actual detections, but the interface was so goddamn slow it was a nightmare every time I had to adjust the firewall settings. It would freeze and hang and I would be lucky to get to the program list. It also slowed down DOOM III whenever it loaded a level to the point where it was taking about 5 minutes to go from the menu screen to the start of the level. I had to disable realtime every time I played that game.

Avoid it at all costs, this was with the paid version and there is far superior software out there for free. I'm using AVG 8 at the moment, and while I know stuff like Avira is better, I don't want to go through the hassle of completely uninstalling, then putting avira on only to have to deal with any problems it causes. AVG works for me and is an enormous improvement from CA. Using Comodo 3.8 for the firewall (antivirus component not installed) on my vista machine, and Zonealarm free firewall on the XP one.

Isn't it funny how the combination of AVG and Zonealarm (and Comodo I guess, but I've never used it on the xp machine, and the Vista machine has never seen CA), two separate programs by two separate companies, work together much better than the components from the CA suite?

CA Internet Security ,slow ,sluggish,resource hog ... and no not from my computer experience. A friend had it on her computer til i got them to remove it well what was left of it because something broke it :D hows that and I left out the curse words even ...LOL :D,

Guest remixed

After using 'CA Internet Security Suite' for a very short time i couldn't avoid the question...why on earth would anyone actively choose to use it, let alone pay to use it? Having used Trend IS Pro i assumed i'd experienced the ultimate in bloated, resource hungry and most importantly weak Pc security. However, CA was in a league of its own. The firewall however much you tweak it, has 2 settings, ineffectve or complete shut-out. The AV and the antispyware struggle to achieve even minimum 'fit for purchase' standards. I find it remarkable that a company with such a consistently poor product has survived, maybe they have people like your boss to thank.

• 1 month later...

@ MadDogVee

When you say that AV's are targeted by malicious tools, what exactly do you mean?

I've seen a little bit about it on this board but I don't know exactly what it means.

Hi Mad Dog Vee, can you tell me where you got your "changing" Ad Banner that you have included in your posts?

I'll like to create my own.

Can you also explain how to create certain antivirus images

I have send you a private message regarding my question, but I'm not sure that it worked

Also, I wouldn't mind some suggestions from anyone else.

Thanks

What does CA stand for?
Computer Associates
What do you mean by Bloatfest?
They are bloated, meaning they use a lot of system resources and tend to slow down the overall performance of the computer dramatically (Norton used to be the worst about this a few years ago but they've gotten much better now and McAfee is still extremely bloated).
When you say that AV's are targeted by malicious tools, what exactly do you mean?
Speaking for Mad Dog Vee here :P It means that the most commonly used security tools and anti-viruses are specifically either blocked from running by the viruses or the threats are designed to infect the system and disable the anti-virus specifically, or both. This has been happening to Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware a lot lately because it's proven to be so effective against the bad guys. Norton and McAfee get targetted because they are the two most commonly installed antivirus softwares.

Exile 360:

Thank you so much for explaining that to me :P

Are there any ways for AV's and /or especially Malwarebytes to fight being disabled by the bad guys?

This is a little off topic, but, my computer came with a free Norton.

the Norton is still installed on the computer and shows security balloons on the taskbar from time to time sometimes. Do you think that I should uninstall the Norton? I don't think its causing any conflict problems since its out of date and no longer used, but I don't see the sense in keeping it either.

Agreed, you don't want to have two actual anti-viruses installed at the same time, it may not always cause problems, but it does have the potential to. As far as fighting being disabled, the pro version does have this, that's why it uses a system level service and driver, it makes it much harder to kill. As far as the free version, there is no sure way because its process simply gets blocked by name, but there are workarounds for this however when dealing with such an advanced infection it is advisable to seek expert help because getting the tools to be able to run is usually only half the battle.

Victimized:

Thank you :P I'll uninstall it tonight.

Exile 360:

I am going to uninstall it tonight. (I am not at that computer right now). I didnt' even realize having two at once was a problem until I came to this forum. Thanks for your response to the other thing as well, about disabling. You are very helpful, thank you SO much, once again. :D

Okay, thanks! Good to know :D

Is it bad if traces are left behind?

That link and the product is totally safe? I just want to be careful.

Thanks again :P

It can be bad, for example, if later on you switch to another antivirus and Norton's old traces are still there, it may not let you install because it "thinks" that Norton is currently installed on the system. And yes, that link and the tool are perfectly safe, it's on Symantec's own website and they are the ones that make the tool (Symantec is the company that makes Norton products).

Exile:

Thanks!!!

Hmm it says it might ask for a license key. I am not sure if I have one. Hopefully it doesn't ask me. It came free with the computer for either 3 months or a year.