Microsoft Update KB2647753

Hi, I don't know if this has happened to anyone here, but I checked for Windows updates today and found a whole bunch of them. So I installed them, rebooted. Then, just as a precaution, rebooted again (one extra time after the initial Microsoft reboot). After I logged back in, I noticed that this Microsoft Update KB2647753 was being repeatedly offered. I've installed it 2 times already and after each reboot it's still there. I checked about this update and there are also other people having the same issue and posting on answers.microsoft.com. Here are a couple of links:

http://answers.micro...506bbe2d?auth=1

http://answers.micro...ac4596ee?auth=1

So you see, this is a widespread problem, not just with my machine. Seems to me like Microsoft has a faulty update on their hands. Who knows when they'll get it fixed. If anyone has any information they would like to add explaining about this problem, it'd be more than welcome. Thanks and have a great day!

First, uninstall the update from Programs and Features -> Installed Updates.

Then, download the offline installer from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29152 and

run that. That installs fine, and after doing it, Windows Update does not find it again.

If you don't uninstall the one from Microsoft Update before installing the offline installer, you get a

message saying it's not applicable.

Okay, thanks for the adivce Tahraka.

That's weird Firefox. Is there by any chance, different updates for different OS types. I run Win Home Premium and you run Ulitmate. Also, you run the 32bit, whereas I run the 64. This could be the reason you don't get the same updates that I do on the same time. Maybe, not sure though. I was at a cousin's house and he runs the same OS you do. Ult. with 32bit. He had 7 updates one day (security patches with an IE update too) and I had none. He updates regularly, so these updates were fresh, not ones he hadn't done before. So..there you have it, it is kinda weird though.

OK just to make sure, I just did a force check for updates and it did find some new updates that need to be installed, after looking over the list, I do see the KB2647753. All the updates were checked automatically except that one. I may try and install all of them see what happens.

Off Topic: kltforums.net and wilderssecurity.com

Wilders Security is a security forum and a good one at that, its safe

As for kltforums.net well that is not really a security forum per say, it used to be a forum back in the day when KLite software was out (the old Kazaa software for downloading music per say). Now its more of a hangout place to go and ask questions about the topics they have listed. Its a safe site, actually I am a member there. The have a good list of freeware software there too.

The update item KB2647753 is not critical. It shows as a "recommended" item.

If you decide to wade in the water and take it, first take a precaution to logoff & restart fresh. Then get it.....and needles to say, logoff and restart again.

It's generally a good idea to start fresh before getting windows updates.

And always a good idea to Restart when it prompts you.

Having said all that, that KB "may have" a detection issue on the MS side.

See http://answers.micro...506bbe2d?page=3

It is generally advisable to take update items marked Critical or Important.

Those marked as Recommended or Optional are just that ....optional. Read the KB article first before deciding if it is something your system really needs.

HTH

Having said all that, that KB "may have" a detection issue on the MS side.

See http://answers.micro...506bbe2d?page=3

HTH

In addition to Maurice's expert suggestions, just a quick update --

Apparently, according to some of the more recent replies in that thread, the logic has been fixed.

I can confirm that on my laptop -- I just installed all available updates, saving 2647753 for last.

After rebooting and a forced "check for updates", I'm told I am up to date.

So, it looks as if it's safe to install it.

HTH, too,

daledoc1

Roger that. It is fixed. Yesterday it kept telling me to install it (I ignored it). I logged back in today and I did a force check for Windows (cuz it said I was all updated) and it still came up as (all updated). Guess Microsoft fixed this one too, just in the nick of time. Thanks to everyone who contributed to my question, I really appreciate it. Have a great day!