hotmail.com and noscript issues

anyone else having issues with hotmail. at first the page wasnt loading properly was weird and when i tried a few minutes later i noticed noscript blocking the script bing.com which if i recall correctly is owned by microsft.

i tried allowing the script but it didnt help even the the site loads to my inbox i cant click on my emails to open them or even change the page it just stays on my inbox.

and noscript is also blocking something called javascript@http://www.bing.com/search

i think the javascript is why its not working but any ideas from you guys and gals would be great

on a side note allowing the bing.com script makes the javascript block vanish but i still cant change the view from my inbox. cant open the email i have or go to a different folder

Hi, fivealive:

I don't use hotmail or Bing, but there was a recent issue about this and I think it traced back to Foxit Reader plug-in for Firefox?

Not sure if this helps, but you might want to look at this recent post and the links it contains.

One of them had the solution for the OP.

Perhaps one of them will help you, until someone comes along with other suggestions, :)

daledoc1

Our Hotmail has been/was acting pretty whack off and on the last few days. Not sure what is/was causing it though, I thought it was the HOSTS file but it was still funky after disabling it. We do not use NoScript as of yet. It was working fine today though.

Email clients separate the email from the server and the user has MORE control over the email such as; rules, spam filters, force text only viewing, easily view full headers and body, distribution lists, whitelisting, blacklisting, etc.

Example:

When an email from Sender_A comes in

- Change email colour

- Generate a specific notification alert

- Perform a specified action

- Move the email into a specified folder

Webmail is less secure because you are using a browser and it allows third party software, installed in the browser, access to what you see.

Email clients separate the email from the server and the user has MORE control over the email such as; rules, spam filters, force text only viewing, easily view full headers and body, distribution lists, whitelisting, blacklisting, etc.

Example:

When an email from Sender_A comes in

- Change email colour

- Generate a specific notification alert

- Perform a specified action

- Move the email into a specified folder

Webmail is less secure because you are using a browser and it allows third party software, installed in the browser, access to what you see.

ah alright ill have to look into that a bit more iv always just gone to the hotmail website and used it. i always figured since its all stored on the hotmail servers and im not downloading it to my computer thru a email program i would be more secure. that way if i ever opened an email with an attachment or something i wouldnt be downloading it to my computer ( i dont get much email in the way of junk maybe 1 or 2 emails a month but they all end up in my junk folder anyway).

iv heard of people getting emails and opening them and the email looks blank their is nothing their but when they open them they end up infecting their computer all because they used email clients(no clue how true this is though)

Opening attachments either way if infected can infect your computer.

true i know but what i ment was if im using the browser to look at my email im just opening the email im not downloading teh attachment to be opened

where as on the client im downloading the full email.

i dont really understand the difference as you can see. that being said all i know really is that with a client i download all my emails to my computer it self where as with teh browser its stored their (and of course the stuff that david mentioned)

hence my questions

• Root Admin

All files are always downloaded to your computer memory and disk at least in a temporary method otherwise you wouldn't be able to see the data. Granted a web presented view may or may not download as much data depending on how the view is presented by the application server vs an Outlook or other mail client, but even most mail clients can be set to only check and download headers or specific sizes of mail.

If you open a message from the Web it will copy the email in what might best be described as a container (sort of like a zip file) and depending on what actions you take it may or may not extract data from it. If it has an attachment but you don't click on it to open it or save it then it will remain in the container (sort of like a zip file).

Hi, all: :)

My approach for many years has been to use a free email client (originally Netscape -> now Thunderbird) AND a (paid) spam filtering program (Mailwasher PRO from firetrust) (MWP).

TB allows me to collect all my various accounts (ISP (POP), gmail (POP & IMAP) and work (POP)), with the safety/security features mentioned by DHL. And, of course, it is easily customized with extensions for security, productivity, appearance, etc.

MWP adds yet another layer of security, as it allows me to preview all incoming messages on the servers BEFORE they are even downloaded to my computer. I get very little spam, but the occasional spam message or infected email from an acquaintenance's hijacked email account (we all get these from time to time ;) ) can be safely deleted from the server via MWP without downloading the message to my machine or (heaven forbid) clicking on any message or infected attachment links (as mentioned by AdvancedSetup).

At the risk of sounding like a fan-girl, I'd have to say that MWP is the single most vital productivity app I run. In addition to the spam-filtering capabilities, the ability to preview, sort (and even quick-reply & quick-forward) 100s of daily messages is a HUGE time saver.

(I think there is still a Free version of MWP, but I think one can only have a single email account. I've had paid lifetime licenses for MWP on both rigs for years...)

With this combo (plus the so-so spam filtering of my KIS security suite as another layer), I've never had anything nasty reach my computer.

Just my 2-cents' worth, "take it or leave it" :D

daledoc1

One should not presume that the only risk is with attachments when the email body is also a risk for phishing and exploit code. Email clients have greater control here and can strip Rich Text Formatting and display only text.

A powerful email client is Pegasus Mail. It has been available for free for well over twenty years.

One should not presume that the only risk is with attachments when the email body is also a risk for phishing and exploit code. Email clients have greater control here and can strip Rich Text Formatting and display only text.

A powerful email client is Pegasus Mail. It has been available for free for well over twenty years.

not sure exactly what you mean. but are you saying like when you get an email and it has a link in it (just an example) and the link says www.google.ca for example but when you mouse over it in the bottom left corner of the browser instead it will say imahackyou.com or something?

True 'dat!

Hadn't thought of that point... ;)

(TB can also do this, as can most of the major email clients, these days, I presume.)

OK, I'll duck back under my rock now, but will follow this topic with interest, as I always learn a great deal! :D

daledoc1

True 'dat!

Hadn't thought of that point... ;)

(TB can also do this, as can most of the major email clients, these days, I presume.)

OK, I'll duck back under my rock now, but will follow this topic with interest, as I always learn a great deal! :D

daledoc1

yeah im learning a great deal my self.

iv only ever tried one email client before and this was oh gods 12 to 14 years ago it was outlook express and it was horrible horrible