Issues Kaspersky and MBAM 2011004

On Win 7 64 bit ultimate.    Had uninstalled webroot secure anywhere and replaced it with kaspersky internet security 2014.

Kaspersky set to allow MBAM.  MBAM set to allow Kaspersky program files folder.

Some where along the way I started having problems with the ssl connection to google.com being blocked by MBAM.   Appeared to be ok after boot then suddenly it starts blocking requests to google and google referred links.

Uninstalled KIS 2014.  Ran KIS uninstall tool.

Still have problems with google being blocked.

Uninstalled MBAM, ran MBAM cleaner, reinstalled, same issue.

MBAM screwed up explorer, everything froze.   MBAM spontaneously stopped.  All kinds of crazy things.

Hello and :welcome: , charlestek:

Running KIS2014 and MBAM 2.x on 3 Win7 rigs here without issues (aside from known minor bugs).

Let's get some basic system info for the staff to start with.

They will help to determine what might be going on.

Please start here: Diagnostic Logs

(Needless to say, if you have already fully uninstalled MBAM, there's no need to run mbam-check. But please do run FRST and post back both logs.)

Thanks,

daledoc1

Hi:

FRST and similar diagnostic logs are posted here 100s (if not 1000s) of times daily here and at other computer help forums.

Without those logs, it's impossible to determine what might be causing your issues (software conflict, remnants of other security apps, malware, etc).

If you are using the paid, licensed version of MBAM Premium, you can open a ticket at the help desk and a support team member will assist you via email.

To open a ticket, please complete the web form here: Contact Consumer Support.

When you do, it would be helpful to include a link back to this topic:

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=148609

Thanks,

daledoc1

Found more answers here: https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/wualkKTMJYs

Tried clearing SSL Slate in IE 11 : in Internet Options, under the Content Tab, there is an option to Clear SSL State.

Didn't work.

Disabled Certificate Trust (Pinning) in EMET 4.1, fixed the problem for IE maybe, but IE worked before with EMET.  I had played with adding a protected website in Certificate Trust Config, but deleted it, but it is possible that that messed something up permanently.   Anyone know how to reset system to default prior to EMET?

For chrome,  as advised in the google product forum link way above,

I tried deleting the Chrome Cert Revocation List:   C:\Users\[DAVID]\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Certificate Revocation Lists

https appears to work ok, now, but time will tell.

Other product forum suggestion is:

Ok here's what worked for me:
1. Go to Settings in chrome
2.Click on "Show advanced settings..."
3.Then under network click "Change proxy settings..." Internet properties dialog box would appear.
4.Go to "advanced" tab
5.Scroll until you get "Security"
6.NOW THIS IS THE IMPORTANT STEP Uncheck the following:
  USE SSL 2.0
  USE SSL 3.0

Check the following
USE TLS 1.0
USE TLS 1.1
USE TLS 1.2

BTW, outside of my expertise, but how does one examine and check the ssl certificate chain on my computer and figure out if it is proper???

Or how do you reset all your certifcates???

Besides this, I ditched Kaspersky Internet Security 2014.   Too many problems.   Froze outlook removing benign packed data from emails, screwed up Cloudmark Desktop one, causes infinite problems trying to do a system restore.   Apparently does not work with MBAM, though Kaspersky essentially is trying to say MBAM is not necessary with KIS.  

The whole KIS experience cost me a few days of extreme headaches.   Who cares if it catches everything.  In the process it also interferes with just about everything.

I also posted to this thread a couple of times earlier this evening, but guess what, the forum uses https ..... https://forums.malwarebytes.org

so those posts did not work.

You have to tell me how you tolerate KIS 2014.    All I can tell is that it is more trouble than it is worth.    Actually Kaspersky says MBAM is ok for scanning, but not for having any active protection.

I have a couple of Bitdefender licenses, I guess I have to try Bitdefender, but for the moment I reinstalled Webroot SecureAnywhere Complete.

Kaspersky support replied to my sending them the Kaspersky info tool file:

So the latest version of Sanboxie is not compatible with KIS, nor MBAM, nor Comodo Dragon.

Please remove the following incompatible software:

=> Comodo Dragon
=> Malwarebytes Anti-Malware version 2.0.1.1004
=> Sandboxie 4.08 (64-bit)
=> Window Washer

------------------------------

Use mbam-clean.exe to completely remove Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
mbam-clean.exe is a special tool created by the developers of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to completely remove all traces of the program from your computer.
To use the utility:
Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here http://downloads.malwarebytes.org/file/mbam_clean
It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so very important

Hi:

Claims of incompatibility between MBAM and some of the popular AV products are based more on marketing than on true incompatibility.

MBAM is designed and tested to run alongside all of the major AVs, to provide complementary, layered protection against zero-hour and zero-day threats often missed by the major AVs.

From my own personal experience with Tier I support at KL (and at other AV vendors), the support staff cite "boilerplate" text that may or (more likely) may not be based on any reality (e.g. compatibility testing).

Having said that, uninstalling other security apps (including MBAM) is a reasonable first-step when troubleshooting problems with one's AV.

In most cases, reinstalling MBAM is fine, once the problem is found to have an unrelated cause.

Leftover remnants/drivers from other AVs can cause issues with KIS/KAV (and many AVs); so it's important to cleanly remove all prior anti-virus products before installing KIS/KAV.  (And, yes, there may be an issue between KIS and Sandboxie, as well.)

I have run MBAM PRO/Premium and KIS on multiple Windows platforms for years with no issues.

I had to replace KIS with a different AV on 1 of my current systems because of a compatibility problem with the required encryption software on that box, not because of issues with MBAM.  Otherwise, I would be running KIS with MBAM Premium on all of my rigs.

(And the MBAM Product Manager runs KAV on his rigs, I think.)

Of course, every system is different and "YMMV".

The staff here would be more than happy to help you to sort out your issues with MBAM and whatever other security products you are running.

To do so, however, they will need to review some basic system info, starting with the requested Diagnostic Logs, either here at the forum or at the help desk.

I'm sure the staff will have some additional advice for you.

Thanks for your patience,

daledoc1

Daledoc,

I am saying that the steps I took in the above post, labeled 

>>>>"Posted Today, 07:54 AM

Found more answers here: https://productforum...ome/wualkKTMJYs"<<<<<<<<<<<

Appears to have solved the issues, namely:

1)   Disabled Certificate Trust (Pinning) in EMET 4.1, fixed the problem for IE, at least so far.

2) I deleted the Chrome Cert Revocation List:   C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Certificate Revocation Lists

https in Chrome appears to work ok, now, but time will tell.

Not saying its your issue, and I see you fixed it, but if you are still using MBAM version 2011004 as your title states, perhaps you may consider updating your Malwarebytes.

NOTE: You might also want to try installing the new beta which has corrected some issues found in the previous release.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.0.2 Public Beta

Thanks

Firefox,

The beta might be a good idea.

Frankly right now I have Webroot installed only because I know it has a low chance of messing up anything.

I wouldn't mind more input from any other Kaspersky Internet Security Users.

I might retry KIS, but even from the headaches with system restore and freezing outlook, I am not sure it is worth the headaches.

Frankly I do think that KIS made this whole mess worse.

Yes, the new beta is a good idea. 

Re: KIS

If you had leftover drivers or remnants from WSA or any other AV on your system, that could cause issues with KIS -- it's important to run any available removal tool (sometimes in safe mode) to be sure they are gone.  Many users at the KL forum *say* they have removed XYZ Antivirus, only to find that there are driver remnants on their diagnostic scans.

And it generally works better to temporarily uninstall MBAM and any other security app BEFORE installing or upgrading KIS.

Once it's installed, activated, configured and updated, then reinstall MBAM.

I have been doing this for years with no issues on multiple XP, Vista and 7 rigs.

KIS is VERY comprehensive and robust protection -- if you add too many other security applications, you will cause problems with slowdowns or clashes or conflicts.

"More" is not always better.

And I think KL folks are correct about a bonafide compatibility issue with Sandboxie -- it has been mentioned at the KL forum for years, off and on.

Again, several of us have been running KIS alongside MBAM PRO/Premium without issues for years.

(I have previously used Norton, McAfee and Webroot, but will not return to any of them any time soon.)

But again, without some data (e.g. logs) it's really impossible for anyone to say what was or is happening on your system.

We can only offer generic recommendations.

Cheers,

daledoc1

I looked at the logs, they show nothing.  There is no WSA removal tool, but there is no belief that it left anything that would interfere.  I feel you are making some generic conjectures.   

I used to be a senior Microsoft  C# .Net Developer.  I would like to think I usually cover all the obvious and not so obvious bases.

With all due respect, and many thanks for your late night help and assistance, I observed KIS freezing outlook when I clicked on a potentially harmful email in Outlook.  Trouble is I had to kill outlook.   I looked at the logs and it was wiping out emails that were blatantly benign, because I know the email authors.

Cloudmark Desktop One does not seem to work with KIS.   System Restores are potentially corrupting with KIS.    

I'm sorry, I don't call it robust, I feel it is not good.  It wasted more than two whole days of my time and shot my blood pressure too high.   Tilted in the wrong direction as far as too much false sensitivity is as bad as the other direction.

Frankly even when I used Bitdefender, which I thought was somewhat over using resources and klunky,it did not cause the issues that KIS has.  I have a couple of Bitdefender multiple licenses I have never used, maybe it is time to use them

Hi:

Yes, we must make generic recommendations, as we have been provided insufficient data (e.g. diagnostic logs) about your particular system.

As for "conjecture", no, not at all -- just best practices, as recommended from the KL for their products and from MBAM for their products.

That is all we can recommend under the circumstances.

I am just a longtime home user of both KL and MBAM products sharing the advice based on that experience, as well as the knowledge gleaned from official sources.

We're only trying to help, not to argue with you.

But, unfortunately, none of our suggestions and advice seems to be satisfactory.

Here are some helpful links at the KL support pages and user forum:

http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showforum=4

http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?s=19675a02dfb221f42b7ca2d2927c0cb1&showtopic=5233

http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=67812

http://support.kaspersky.com/kis2014/install

http://support.kaspersky.com/9852

http://support.kaspersky.com/9917

http://support.kaspersky.com/9853

And here is the link to submit a support ticket: https://my.kaspersky.com/

As mentioned in an earlier reply, if you aren't comfortable posting diagnostic logs here in the forum, you may wish instead to open an MBAM help desk support ticket here for one-on-one email assistance with an MBAM-related problem.

Thank you,

daledoc1

By generic, I was referring to this statement: "If you had leftover drivers or remnants from WSA or any other AV on your system, that could cause issues with KIS"  I haven't seen any proof that a normal uninterrupted clean uninstall of WSA from the control panel leaves anything that would cause problems with KIS, therefore, I regard this as generic advice.

There isn't too much point in opening a case with MBAM support with my logs because the issues seem to be resolved and the log information appears to me distinctly unrelated to the steps I took to resolve the https problems.    That is why I cannot understand what you expect to find in the logs, except to satisfy some curiousity.  

I will attach my logs, but did have to remove some of the one month files because the names of some of the my document folders are sensitive. In general, I respectfully totally disagree with you that posting public logs are benign.  I don't think you would post the layout of your house to the world even if no one knew the address, because it would be an invitation to thieves.  To me posting these logs is an invitation to see holes in my security via programs or settings that might have vulnerabilities.  I would invite you to post the premise that the logs are harmless to the listserv on the http://www.naisg.org/techtips.asp, the National Information Security Group, that I am a member of.

These logs were taken I believe after I uninstalled Kis by the control panel and the kavremover tool and after I uninstalled MBAM with the MBAM clean tool, but before the https problem was fixed.

FRST.txt

Addition.txt

• Root Admin

Well in reviewing your logs all I can say is its a miracle if your computer works as it does. I say that only because I dabble in programming myself and have supported programmer machines for many years (some of the most unstable messed up computers you'll often run into due to the vast amount of conflicting software and tweaks, etc they run, and most programmers I've dealt with almost always think they know more about Windows than they really do. Some know quite a bit but most don't seem to )

Due to the amount and type of software running on this computer it's possible that our product simply won't run well on it but if you want to try then please do the following.

First create a NEW System Restore Point and then proceed with this routine.

I'll list below some potential issues for security and ask you to try the MBAM CLEAN one more time.

This time make sure you install just the latest beta version of MBAM and reboot before and after the install and then let me know how it works.

Then after the reinstall and reboot please run this scanner and post back the log.

Please create an mbam-check log:

• Download mbam-check.exe from here and save it to your desktop
  • Double-click on mbam-check.exe to run it, it should then open a log file
  • Please do not copy and paste the entire contents of the log into your next post, instead please attach the log CheckResults.txt file which should now be located on your desktop to your next post

Now on to some other potential security or simply outdated software information for you to review.

You have old outdated Adobe Flash which is a very common vector used to gain access to your computer.

Adobe Flash Player 11 Plugin (HKLM-x32\...\Adobe Flash Player Plugin) (Version: 11.9.900.117 - Adobe Systems Incorporated)
Adobe Flash Player 13 ActiveX (HKLM-x32\...\Adobe Flash Player ActiveX) (Version: 13.0.0.182 - Adobe Systems Incorporated)

The current version of Flash is: 13.0.0.214 and I would highly recommend that you uninstall both of your current versions. Then get the latest version from Adobe and make sure you uncheck the "Offer" in the middle and just get the Flash Player.
Get Adobe Flash Player

Adobe Reader is now at version 11.0.07 and not as common of an attack vector as Flash it too has been exploited in the past.
Your version: Adobe Reader XI (11.0.06)

Your Adobe AIR is very old. The latest version is 13.0.0.111 I would recommend that you uninstall Adobe AIR and get the latest version.
Adobe AIR (HKLM-x32\...\Adobe AIR) (Version: 2.7.0.19530 - Adobe Systems Incorporated)
Adobe AIR (x32 Version: 2.7.0.19530 - Adobe Systems Incorporated) Hidden

Your Crystal Reports is also old but I'm not aware of any known threat vectors using it, but I do know that version control is quite annoying with CR so probably best not to update unless you're ready to manage version control issues with it.

Not as much need for DAEMON Tools as there used to be and it has some known issues with drivers so if you're going to use it I'd recommend you just verify that you have the latest drivers.

Your version of Dropbox is also now a bit old but none of the updates since appear to be security related so up to you if you want to update or not.
Your version: 2.4.11
Current version: 2.6.33

Your Filezilla client is also old now and some updates are related to security so you may want to update that as well.
Your version: 3.7.4.1
Current version: 3.8.0

Your version of Chrome is also not up to date and has 3 security fixes as well as a Flash update in the lastest release.
The Stable Channel has been updated to 34.0.1847.137 for Windows, Mac and Linux.

Just a question unrelated to security but of the thousands and thousands of logs I've done over the years you are the first I've seen that actually uses this software.
LinkedIn Outlook Connector.  Do you actually have and use business contacts via LinkedIn in Outlook?

I know there are users that like this browser but I'm a bit skeptical of it's use as it has very limited updates.
Maxthon (officially called Maxthon Cloud Browser, originally known as MyIE2) is a freeware web browser for Windows, OS X and Linux that is developed in China by the company Maxthon Ltd
Maxthon 3 was released in the fall of 2010
Maxthon Cloud, Maxthon 4 was released on December 10, 2012

Your Opera browser is very old as well and should be updated
Your version: 12.16.1860
Current version: 21.0.1432.67

You may wish to update your Oracle VirtualBox as well.
Your version: 4.2.4
Current version: 4.3.12 (actually released today)
Changelog for VirtualBox 4.3

As your computer has this installed Protector Suite 2012 you may want to read this article
Widely used fingerprint reader exposes Windows passwords in seconds

Your version of Skype is also old and should be updated. The lastest version is: 6.16.0.105

Though not specically called out for WinRAR 4.01 that you have there was a spoofing issue and they do recommend updating to version 5
WinRAR 4.20 is vulnerable to ZIP file name spoofing

Your Google update software is also quite old
Task: {8ABE4C48-37CA-4ECE-A3EF-E47466EA2B9F} - System32\Tasks\GoogleUpdateTaskMachineCore => C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe [2011-07-30] (Google Inc.)
Task: {9993898A-174F-425D-82D0-130F809B7B50} - System32\Tasks\GoogleUpdateTaskMachineUA => C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe [2011-07-30] (Google Inc.)
Task: C:\Windows\Tasks\GoogleUpdateTaskMachineCore.job => C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
Task: C:\Windows\Tasks\GoogleUpdateTaskMachineUA.job => C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe

You're using MSCONFIG in what would appear to be a Startup Manager mode. Please review the following
Msconfig Is Not A Startup Manager

By name alone this certainly does not look like a valid service or driver that should be trying to load

System errors:
=============
Error: (05/14/2014 06:42:48 PM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (EventID: 7026) (User: )
Description: The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
tzHYKfPQ

These items deserve further review as to what they really are.
U0 SR;
U2 srservice;
S4 tzHYKfPQ; \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\tzHYKfPQ.sys [X]
U2 V2iMount;  This post would indicate a very old driver

Since this still shows in the logs I would assume you've either not rebooted or something prevented the entry from being removed.

Startup: C:\Users\Classic .NET AppPool\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\Uninstall Webroot RunOnce.lnk
ShortcutTarget: Uninstall Webroot RunOnce.lnk -> C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\wruninstall.exe (Webroot Software, Inc.)
Startup: C:\Users\DefaultAppPool\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\Uninstall Webroot RunOnce.lnk
ShortcutTarget: Uninstall Webroot RunOnce.lnk -> C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\wruninstall.exe (Webroot Software, Inc.)

This also shows as still installed:
BHO: Webroot Vault - {c8d5d964-2be8-4c5b-8cf5-6e975aa88504} - C:\ProgramData\WRData\pkg\LPBar64.dll No File
Toolbar: HKLM - Webroot Toolbar - {97ab88ef-346b-4179-a0b1-7445896547a5} - C:\ProgramData\WRData\pkg\LPBar64.dll No File

Ron,

Thank you.  I will be glad to follow most of your advice, but please remember the focus of my post was the https request problem, which appears to be resolved at the moment and also appears to be independent of of MBAM and possibly independent of KIS (but I harbor suspicions about KIS in my sleep).  I have not yet reinstalled MBAM because I was trying to decide whether to keep the present re-installation of Webroot or uninstall Webroot and put KIS back in.   Frankly KIS caused so many problems I'm not sure I have days on end to play with it if it makes something go awry again.

After I decide which antivirus to keep then reinstalling MBAM would be the next step, though Kaspersky support essentially tells me I should never install MBAM along with KIS 2014.  Frankly it would be an interesting question as to whether KIS alone would be superior to KIS + MBAM.

I actually laughed a little when you say create a new system restore point, as when I had KIS installed restoring a System Restore Point became an exercise in futility.   I even see advice on Kaspersky forums that if one wants to use a system restore point they should uninstall KIS do the system restore then reinstall KIS.

I do have full and incremental ghost backups of the entire machine, and stupidly I probably should have done a bare metal restore using the backups instead of having to play around with all the stuff I did.

Maybe I still should do a full restore from before KIS when I had WSA and MBAM only.

Adobe Reader 

http://get.adobe.com/reader/?promoid=HRZAC

tells me I already have the latest version

Chrome is supposed to auto updating, so I don't understand what is going on?

I haven't used Virtual Box in ages, so I don't particularly care, unless the old version is a risk sitting there.

I already studied the protector suite issue.   My fingerprint data is stored in TPM in the reader, not in the machine.

I saw tzHYKfPQ and thought it must be a virus or something, but the tzHYKfPQ.sys file is missing and I disabled the service with Nirsoft Serviwin

V2iMount is the latest version that shipped with the only update to Ghost 15.   There is nothing I can do about that.

I don't use opera anymore, though I kept it for historical reasons as far as saved sessions.   I should update it.

Maxthon was used for experimentation, but is not being actively used.

LinkedIn outlook connector is from Microsoft and allows you to see linkedin info for any email selected, it is actually quite handy.

In any event, we come back to the central issue which was the https problem I had.   Like I said, I don't believe anything in the logs are relevant.

I am more concerned about that than anything else.

• Root Admin

Well as this is our support forum for MBAM your other issues are only reference for you as to what I saw.

As for installing KIS or Webroot I would recommend against it temporarily.  First do the MBAM CLEAN and reboot, then reinstall MBAM and again reboot.  Then make sure there are no issues so that you can rule out that any issues are because of MBAM. If you install KIS or Webroot then you're not sure if they're not getting along or not.

As for the idea that MBAM is not compatible with KIS that is not true or has recently changed as our product was one of the very few that was not on their incompatible list.

You do not find our product on this list
List of applications incompatible with Kaspersky Internet Security 2013

I just reviewed their list and I do not see our product on either the automatic removal or the manual removal list for KIS 2014 either
List of applications incompatible with Kaspersky Internet Security 2014

So again, my recommendation would be to run MBAM without your antivirus temporarily and see how it works and if needed post back new logs. 

We now have over 3 million users on the 2.x version of MBAM and there are issues but for the vast majority of users they are not show stopper issues.

Ron,

I have WSA installed now, I cannot leave the machine without any protection for days.   Before I installed KIS, I was using WSA and MBAM 2.0 side by side without any issues whatsoever.   

As I have grumpily stated previously, I am not too happy with KIS, but ordered it from Newegg because of all the independent antivirus testing high ratings.

Please read the below which is a partial excerpt from the reply from Kaspersky support to me:

From: Kaspersky Lab Support [mailto:customerservicesolution@kaspersky.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 14, 2014 8:39 PM
To: xxxx@xxx.com
Subject: Kaspersky - Support INXXXXXX Cannot Access a Website

Hello xxxx,

Thank you for contacting Kaspersky support, we apologize for the system issue.

Please remove the following incompatible software:

=> Comodo Dragon
=> Malwarebytes Anti-Malware version 2.0.1.1004
=> Sandboxie 4.08 (64-bit)

------------------------------

Use mbam-clean.exe to completely remove Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
mbam-clean.exe is a special tool created by the developers of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to completely remove all traces of the program from your computer.
To use the utility:
Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here http://downloads.malwarebytes.org/file/mbam_clean
It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so very important
Disclaimer - Removal Tools
Any removal tools given are to be used at your own risk. Kaspersky Lab will not be held liable for any damage and/or loss of data that may result from running these tools. We are unable to provide support for the use of non-Kaspersky removal tools.

• Root Admin

Well I cannot speak for their support. Up to you what you want to do - I've given my advice on how to verify any issue with MBAM before worrying about antivirus.

Send an email back to the support person and tell them to look here and on their own support site - they do not list our product on their list and I've even posted before on their forum to ask them to prove there is any compatibility issues as we've tried to get it to have an issue where we stop or block a detection that KIS finds and we find. We do not block or prevent KIS from dealing with the infection if they find it. We have not been able to find or cause any such incompatibility between the programs.

Anyways... not to be rude but I have hundreds of posts to deal with every day and I don't have time to go back and forth over who said what. KIS can and will run with MBAM but KIS can be picky about how it's setup and run and that is true even without MBAM.  Daledoc1 is probably the most up to date person with information about how to setup, run, update, etc KIS if you want to run with KIS

Their technology is great stuff but as with any programs like this it can be difficult to run well, protect well, and not cause slow downs or affect good valid programs while at the same time preventing bad behaviors or applications. There are new methods and tricks out every day trying to infect computers and Kaspersky like

Also, don't run the original MBAM use the latest beta version.

Ron,

Thanks.   Please do attend to the other threads whose people I'm sure have far more pressing issues with real malware.

Thank you for all your attentive help.

I appreciate you pointing out the details in the log that you did.  I do have to investigate why chrome is not updating itself.